PDA

View Full Version : General Key rings for MASSIVE OEM keys?

jawn101
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
I bet many of you have had a similar issue, so I figured I'd ask... given the massive thickness of the OEM (and reproduction) key blanks, I'm destroying every split ring I put them on. They always end up all warped and stuck open, and they catch on my pockets. Talk about a minor annoyance, right?

I've tried standard steel ones. I've tried titanium ones. I've currently got a weird rubber thing on there that I don't really care for. I found a tiny screw-lock carabiner (took it off a trashed bird toy) but the bends are too tight for the key to move.

What's everyone else using?

Here's what I have going on currently... I really preferred the split ring to this rubber strap deal but at least now the ring isn't always getting stuck on my pocket.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21028&d=1375799721

Iznodmad
08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
This is what I use on one of my cars. Each one is different. No issues at all. 21030

louielouie2000
08-06-2013, 10:55 AM
My second DeLorean had reproduction keys, I believe from DMC Texas. They were made out of super hard plastic, and did not get torn up by standard key rings. You might want to just switch over to a repro key for daily use, and preserve your original. Doing so would be about the same price as a fancy key ring.

jawn101
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
My second DeLorean had reproduction keys, I believe from DMC Texas. They were made out of super hard plastic, and did not get torn up by standard key rings. You might want to just switch over to a repro key for daily use, and preserve your original. Doing so would be about the same price as a fancy key ring.

Yeah, that's what I am using - the repro key. I have almost a dozen of them (don't ask... lol) and they are much harder than the OEM. But it's not the key I'm worried about, it's the ring itself that keeps warping.

cybercusp
08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
OEM key with the Wings-a-loft remote attached.

jawn101
08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
OEM key with the Wings-a-loft remote attached.

That little hook is an interesting idea..

RammJaeger
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I bet many of you have had a similar issue, so I figured I'd ask... given the massive thickness of the OEM (and reproduction) key blanks, I'm destroying every split ring I put them on. They always end up all warped and stuck open, and they catch on my pockets. Talk about a minor annoyance, right?

I've tried standard steel ones. I've tried titanium ones. I've currently got a weird rubber thing on there that I don't really care for. I found a tiny screw-lock carabiner (took it off a trashed bird toy) but the bends are too tight for the key to move.

Here's what I have going on currently... I really preferred the split ring to this rubber strap deal but at least now the ring isn't always getting stuck on my pocket.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21028&d=1375799721

Where'd you get the Delorean Keychain? I'd like to get one of those.

jawn101
08-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Where'd you get the Delorean Keychain? I'd like to get one of those.

DMOCO: http://www.dmoco.com/DMOCO_Delorean_Dog_Tag_Necklace_Bottle_Opener.html

DavidProehl
08-06-2013, 12:00 PM
I use this with a repo key and haven't had any trouble. I think it is a standard ring on the end, but mine didn't warp at all.

http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=149010

Farrar
08-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Zip-tie.

dmc6960
08-06-2013, 03:42 PM
You need a higher quality key-ring.

jawn101
08-06-2013, 03:51 PM
You need a higher quality key-ring.

The opposite, I think! I just dug through my desk at work and found a whole mess of freebie crap from trade shows - about 20 key rings included. I tried them all and ultimately the one that I'm happy with is a fairly thin gauge one that flexed more easily to get the key around. Because it was more flexible it returned to its original shape much more freely.

I went maximum quality when I bought those titanium rings. Unfortunately they have excellent holding power but fairly poor shape memory, so once I forced the key through it the ring stayed bent open.

Edit: I guess the fact that the Ti rings failed to get the job done actually means they were *not* higher quality :) But they were really cool looking. And the first time I've ever paid money for a split ring before.

refugeefromcalif
08-06-2013, 06:42 PM
When I picked up my D at DMC F. This remote and chain was already attached to the key.
I added my house key and Life is Good. :biggrin:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21032&d=1375828687

The only part I've had a problem with is the rings attached to the remote. They like to Grab onto things and Bite. :cry:

George

beernpizzalover
08-06-2013, 09:28 PM

Something like this might do the trick for you. Just do a quick search on ebay, like I did.
The message seems quite appropriate given the DeLorean's movie claim to fame...

jawn101
08-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Something like this might do the trick for you. Just do a quick search on ebay, like I did.
The message seems quite appropriate given the DeLorean's movie claim to fame...

HA. I have one of those! 2, in fact. One I got off Amazon and one I got from Ed at DMCEU. :)

I'm pretty happy with my split ring downgrade, but thanks all for the input. If nothing else it was fun to see everyone's keychains.