PDA

View Full Version : Project Drive-In: Save the Drive-In

steel-and-fire
08-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Stumbled across this today. Hadn't been able to find any post on the forum so decided to.

Normally I don't post fundraiser stuff, but this is drive-in movie theaters. Americana stuff. I still am dying to go to a drive-in as soon as I can. NYC isn't big on...land.

Put things in perspective on the switch from film to digital. And maybe I'm just nostalgic on a time that I have only seen in the movies, ironically enough.

You guys have any fun memories at the drive-ins?

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-drive-in-save-the-drive-in-fund

NightFlyer
08-29-2013, 01:22 PM
I've taken my DeLorean to several drive-ins, although I usually always bring a boom-box to those drive-ins that offer FM modulated audio, as I've yet to update my car's audio system.

Always a good time!

Please support your local drive-in if you're lucky enough to still have one (or even multiple choices as I do - then again, I'll travel up to 300 miles just to patronize a drive-in theater).

Michael
08-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Why is everyone so opposed to change? It seems like a never ending theme of someone or some group opposing the closing of a business, building, demolition of some "historical" structure because of nothing more than an emotional attachment and the preservation of "fond memories". Think about it, if there is no destruction of old, then there can be no addition of new or in short, no progress. I can imagine a new building that goes up today will only be on the short list for destruction 30 years from now, and on that day there will be some group calling for the preservation of that building. I'm sure this same scenario has been repeated time and time again before the days I was born. The people who appreciate the romance of a drive-in today will be dead and buried in 30 years, and the ones who are left will not care...because they didn't grow up going to drive-ins, they go to high def i-max theaters(and no doubt they will be calling for their preservation 20 years from now when hologram theaters take their place because of their own fond memories from their youth).

This drive in that you are advocating saving was new 40 years ago...40 years ago it was a community center. 60 years ago people loved going to that civic center. They remembered their first dance there and they opposed this new fangled drive in because of their own good times they had in their youth...but progress happens and the new drive in was built to generate countless good times for people like yourself. Don't deny the countless good times to the next generation, let it go.

Stop clinging to the past, that's why you get old....you stop looking to a brighter future and long for days gone. Always look forward to the future and realize that the only thing that is constant is change itself.

Mark D
08-29-2013, 03:09 PM
"Save the clocktower!"

Tillsy
08-29-2013, 08:40 PM
The people who appreciate the romance of a drive-in today will be dead and buried in 30 years, and the ones who are left will not care...because they didn't grow up going to drive-ins, they go to high def i-max theaters(and no doubt they will be calling for their preservation 20 years from now when hologram theaters take their place because of their own fond memories from their youth).

I've always gone to the drive-in once or twice a year - this year I've been four times due to introducing it to my daughter who loved it so much she is still begging to go back yet more times, so two new movie releases next month we'll be going to the drive-in yet again which will make this year's total of six visits.

On the other hand the cinema I've been to twice this year.

steel-and-fire
08-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Why is everyone so opposed to change? It seems like a never ending theme of someone or some group opposing the closing of a business, building, demolition of some "historical" structure because of nothing more than an emotional attachment and the preservation of "fond memories".

Can't the same thing be said about Deloreans or any classic car for that matter?
Unless its strictly for a business investment, why would someone buy a thirty or fifty year old car and not buy a 2013 Toyota AE86 (Scion FR-S)?

And all in all they are small business and I like to look out for the little guy.

they didn't grow up going to drive-ins, they go to high def i-max theaters.

That's ME! Only 25 years old. Never been to a drive-in and only have gone to high def theaters.

Stop clinging to the past, that's why you get old....you stop looking to a brighter future and long for days gone. Always look forward to the future and realize that the only thing that is constant is change itself.

I agree. Clinging to the past is not healthy at all. But to be reminded and feel youth is comepletely different. And this in itself can be as simple as driving a car or doing a hobby that you have done since you were young.

Personally, its not nostalgia of a old memory but the concept of being able to do something that isn't done anymore. I'm not going to pull into a gas station and have a bunch of guys check my tire pressure, oil, and wash my windows. On the other hand, going to a diner that has the feel of a fifties diner is exciting. The idea of doing something that has survived since the 50s is a great concept. I love history and when it dies it dies and it'll be sad. But to live it is something else.

Same reason why you have Civil war or Revolutionary war reanactors. Shoot muskets and fire cannons. It's a glimpse into an old time.

yellowmxwheels23
08-30-2013, 02:52 AM
There is a drive in near me and its great to take your girl to a double feature on a cool summer night. I throw a inflatable mattress in the bed of my truck and we hang out to watch a couple of movies.