PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C A/C condensation

aipri
09-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, how much water usually drips from the car when the A/C is being used? I finally charged my R12 system and have been using the A/C, and it seems like a hell of a lot of water is dripping. Today I came home from a 25 minute or so trip and parked in the driveway. When I came back out about a half hour or so later there was a huge puddle under the car, and there was still water dripping from the accumulator. Is that normal?

kings1527
09-05-2013, 08:56 PM
It's going to depend on what the local humidity is like. The higher the humidity, the more condensation you'll have. A good way to measure all of this is to take a look at the performance of your AC. If it's nice and cold like it should be, you're probably fine. It's super humid in LA right now because of a tropical storm down south and that'll cause a lot more condensation on AC systems and actually reduce performance a little bit.

I'd be more concerned if it's humid out, you're not getting any good AC, and you're not dripping.

DMCMW Dave
09-08-2013, 09:17 AM
The more the better. As long as it's not dripping inside the car.

John U
09-08-2013, 12:47 PM
My AC runs super cold, but I get no drips outside or inside the car....I'm trying to find where the moisture goes but no luck....maybe it travels to 1955 via the flux capacitor!

aipri
09-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Ok thanks for the replies guys, the A/C is working great, just not used to seeing so much water lol. But yeah none in the car.

DMCMW Dave
09-08-2013, 01:53 PM
My AC runs super cold, but I get no drips outside or inside the car....I'm trying to find where the moisture goes but no luck....maybe it travels to 1955 via the flux capacitor!

Depends on the humidity in the air.

jawn101
09-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Depends on the humidity in the air.

I see none under my car either, but the A/C does work. Our %RH is super low though, like 18% right now. I think that combined with a probably plugged drain tube is my issue, but I still have not figured out how to clear that damn tube. It's completely trapped against the frame, I may have to drop the fuel tank to get at it.

dmc6960
09-09-2013, 11:24 PM
On really humid days I find I need to turn off the AC and run the vent fan on high for the last minute before pulling into the garage. Otherwise the water buildup on the sealed garage floor never goes away!