PDA

View Full Version : Engine Any idea where this plugs in?

Silkie
09-18-2013, 05:09 PM
I am a new owner and just learning.
I noticed this loose white plug in with the Orange and Grey wires the other day?
Should it be plugged in somewhere? And if so where does it go?
Thanks in advance.

Silkie....

Notifier
09-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Mine is plugged into a black socket with what looks like a black and grey wire going to it. It is right behind the engine in that area, down a little lower than in your picture. The function of this I don't know, but I'm sure others on here would know. 22025

Silkie
09-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Thank you Notifier!
Now my question is? What is it?
And should i plug it back?

It also looks like some of my connections on the silver box on the back Firewall,
Are plugged in different than yours?
Please excuse me for not knowing the technical name of these parts.

DMCMW Dave
09-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Test lead for setting the Lambda system. It does not do anything in normal operation.

Silkie
09-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Test lead for setting the Lambda system. It does not do anything in normal operation.
So i do not need to plug it back where it goes?

Notifier
09-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Looks like you are missing the engine compartment light switch. Fits in the horizontal piece of metal with the rectangular hole cut in. On my picture you can sort of see it on the left (pink connector, the original connectors are black, had to repair mine after the PO had it tied into an alarm system).

Ron
09-18-2013, 08:22 PM
So i do not need to plug it back where it goes?Correct...the place to plug it in is probably gone like a lot are.
FYI - If you ever have to set your CO, you can connect your dwell meter there.

Silkie
09-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Correct...the place to plug it in is probably gone like a lot are.

Bare with me. Lol. CO? dwell meter?

Silkie
09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Looks like you are missing the engine compartment light switch. Fits in the horizontal piece of metal with the rectangular hole cut in. On my picture you can sort of see it on the left (pink connector, the original connectors are black, had to repair mine after the PO had it tied into an alarm system).

Thank you for that info!
I did not know that. I'm sure i am missing alot of things!

Ron
09-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Bare with me. Lol. CO? dwell meter?It is the last setting you do to the engine. Normally you don't mess with it unless you change fuel system parts or a PO has played with it. It sets the air fuel ratio. Lots of threads on that one. lol

Rich
09-18-2013, 10:17 PM
It is the last setting you do to the engine. Normally you don't mess with it unless you change fuel system parts or a PO has played with it. It sets the air fuel ratio. Lots of threads on that one. lol

+1

The list of things-not-to-diddle-with-on-a-D-engine-unless-somebody-already-messed-it-up:

Ignition timing
Fuel pressure
Dwell/CO/fuel-air ratio

Ours is still the way it came from the factory on all of these settings that do not need re-setting. Runs great, smogs great.

A new D owner's job is to see whether there have been too many hacks by POs. And leaving what isn't broken alone.

Notifier
09-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Correct...the place to plug it in is probably gone like a lot are.

Then why is mine plugged in?

DMCMW Dave
09-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Then why is mine plugged in?

It is wired to another test plug at the back of the engine and ends there. Still doesn't do anything.

Notifier
09-19-2013, 05:24 AM
It is wired to another test plug at the back of the engine and ends there. Still doesn't do anything.

Ok, thanks Dave!

Bitsyncmaster
09-19-2013, 07:00 AM
When the PO had my clutch replaced, they never bolted the crank shaft sensor plate back to the tranny. So that sensor wire melted onto the exhaust. So I removed the diagnostic plug since it was all corroded. I now use that connector you asked about for checking the dwell. Orange wire to + dwell, - dwell goes to engine block.

That other wire is purple which is the +12 volts that goes to the courtesy lights.

Jonathan
09-19-2013, 11:16 AM
I am a new owner and just learning.
I noticed this loose white plug in with the Orange and Grey wires the other day?
Should it be plugged in somewhere? And if so where does it go?
Thanks in advance.

Silkie....

A quick comment/question on the ballast resistor wiring... is that configuration going to cause issues? The reason I ask, is mine was similarily hooked up when I first got my car and it melted off the connector twice before realizing the error. I had one wire on each of the four posts and this photo here has the double up connector, but the pair on the left I did not think were supposed to be on the same side? You can see the metal tab connecting top and bottom on the left side of the ballast resistor, so ultimately those two leads are connected. Not sure it is quite the same problem, but it led to my car not restarting once in an A&W cruise night parking lot and the second time the car died out on the street. I posted photos and was advised of the discrepancy and how to correct it. Here are my before and after.

Anyone else more knowledgeable on how these can and can't work want to chime in?

EDIT: I think this is what was asked in your 3rd post?

It also looks like some of my connections on the silver box on the back Firewall,
Are plugged in different than yours?
Please excuse me for not knowing the technical name of these parts.

Silkie
09-19-2013, 05:51 PM
EDIT: I think this is what was asked in your 3rd post?[/QUOTE]

Yes! I would like to know if mine are in the correct locations.
Thanks to everyone here for the help.
This forum is full of great knowledge!

Bitsyncmaster
09-19-2013, 06:13 PM
The schematic does not show the wiring because they made a change to drive the resistor with a relay. Mine has been rewired so I can not give you wire and wire colors. Will need to get someone with a stock setup.

DMCMW Dave
09-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Should look like this. But cleaner.

Silkie
09-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Should look like this. But cleaner.

Thank you Dave!
I will have a go at it Saturday.

Jonathan
09-19-2013, 07:45 PM
I had this file saved... not sure of it's accuracy? It shows the wire colours though if it helps. If you're using colors in the US though, not sure if it'll work ;)

Silkie
09-19-2013, 07:56 PM
I had this file saved... not sure of it's accuracy? It shows the wire colours though if it helps. If you're using colors in the US though, not sure if it'll work ;)

Hopefully this will be helpful.
Thank you!

Ron
09-19-2013, 10:09 PM
When the PO had my clutch replaced, they never bolted the crank shaft sensor plate back to the tranny. Exactly what happens to most of them, if they are there to begin with, me thinks...

Jay89
11-19-2013, 11:48 PM
This is how mine was looking before I saw this thread.
And this is after...

So all I need now is to get a double connector for that top right, so that last white cable can have a home and I should be all good?
Anyone got a photo of what the piece should look like?
Ill pick one up soon.
I'm also a new owner and love how much help is on here.

Jonathan
11-20-2013, 08:11 AM

The one I used looks like this:

Jay89
11-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks Jonathan.
It weird, after plugging all these in. I've notice my rpm gauge stop working. Not sure what else it has done.. maybe they were unplugged for a reason. :S

Ron
11-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Nothing at the resistor block should cause that (especially if the engine runs). ...The tach runs off of ground and the White-Slate wire connected to the (-) side of the coal only (with several branches along the way).

Rich
11-29-2013, 05:02 PM
....So all I need now is to get a double connector for that top right, so that last white cable can have a home and I should be all good?

Here's the OE configuration, shown both assembled and apart so you can see the duplex crimp fitting on one of the upper white wires.

The duplex spade fitting shown 2 posts above should be fine, too.

Bitsyncmaster
11-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Are you running the stock coil?

Jay89
12-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Are you running the stock coil?

Not sure.
The previous owner had his own mechanic who worked on the car, but I don't think he fully knew what he was doing. There are all sorts of wires not plugged in and stuff.
When I got the car my first start up resulted in a fuel leak... turn out that he put in a $2 cheap plastic fuel filter in the car, which had been moved to the rear of the engine bay. Luckily there was no fire.

Spittybug
12-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Not sure.
The previous owner had his own mechanic who worked on the car, but I don't think he fully knew what he was doing. There are all sorts of wires not plugged in and stuff.
When I got the car my first start up resulted in a fuel leak... turn out that he put in a $2 cheap plastic fuel filter in the car, which had been moved to the rear of the engine bay. Luckily there was no fire.

ON A HIGH PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM? :jawdrop::flamed: That was no mechanic, that was a friggin idiot.