PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Dead Pedal Installation

thirdmanj
10-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Just got myself a dead pedal kit! I've poked around online and found a couple old "how-to" guides, but I just figured I ask if anyone's done it who's active here. It seems pretty straight forward. Pull the carpet back, find the placement you're happy with, drill the holes for the mounting studs and voilá! You got yourself a dead pedal.

Cory W
10-10-2013, 08:40 PM
It's that easy. Helps if you have a rivnut tool with appropriate threads. If not, google how to make one.

There was a position template with the instruction sheet once upon a time, but haven't seen it in ages.

fnzen
10-10-2013, 09:03 PM
no need to pull carpet
position pedal location
mark hole location
drill hole
tap in inserts
screw in bolts

thirdmanj
10-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Coolness. Thanks again, man. It looks great, and it shipped most expeditiously! Hopefully I'll get it installed soon.

sdg3205
10-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I can't live without dead pedals! They're a must.

SS Spoiler
10-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Made my own pedal with an aluminum bar bent in a u-shape and fastened under the carpet. Because my wife is five three, I made one for the passenger side also. What's nice is you can put your foot on it or under it if you want to stretch out.

WelmoedJ
10-11-2013, 03:49 AM
Made my own pedal with an aluminum bar bent in a u-shape and fastened under the carpet. Because my wife is five three, I made one for the passenger side also. What's nice is you can put your foot on it or under it if you want to stretch out.

+ all
And all have forgotten this:
You need to cut the carpet at the dead pedal's position, to push the pedal through that cut.....

DMC5180
10-11-2013, 11:25 AM
My preference is always to use a proper RIVNUT PULLER. You can probably rent one at a Auto parts store.

If that's not an option, this is How to install a rivinut WITHOUT the tool.

You will need a hex head BOLT the correct thread size that has enough thread length to allow for a Plain NUT and Flat WASHER to be installed first. Thread the Nut on first then the washer and finally the RIVNUT threaded onto the bolt at least flush. Insert RIVNUT into hole, then using 2 wrenches, 1 open end for the nut and a box end for the bolt. Hold the Bolt head from rotating and tighten the nut against the RIVNUT. This will draw (pull) the rivnut to mushroom on the back side. Once the turning force on the nuts begins to INCREASE substantially or get tight, the Rivnut is set. Back the nut off and remove the bolt. Repeat As required.

thirdmanj
10-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Ok. I think I'm missing something here. The kit comes with these two cylinders with threaded holes for the 8mm(?) bolts. On the surface it looks like you drill an appropriate sized hole and just put them in. But you guys seem to be talking about rivets or something. What am I missing? Maybe I should post some pics of what I'm working with.

DMCMW Dave
10-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Ok. I think I'm missing something here. The kit comes with these two cylinders with threaded holes for the 8mm(?) bolts. On the surface it looks like you drill an appropriate sized hole and just put them in. But you guys seem to be talking about rivets or something. What am I missing? Maybe I should post some pics of what I'm working with.

Those are rivet nuts AKA rivnuts AKA Nutserts. You put them in the hole and then have to thread the tool into it and pull so that it collapses and grips the fiberglass.

If you just press them into the hole, they will pull right back out.

thirdmanj
10-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Those are rivet nuts AKA rivnuts AKA Nutserts. You put them in the hole and then have to thread the tool into it and pull so that it collapses and grips the fiberglass.

If you just press them into the hole, they will pull right back out.

Aaah. Ok. It's beginning to clear up. Well I guess I'm gonna go shopping for that tool. Best do things the "right" way with these beasts I've learned.

awildermode
10-11-2013, 10:05 PM
You can make your own rivnut tool. Follow these simple instructions:

http://www.carolinarovers.info/croc-stuff/tips/259-make-your-own-rivnut-tool

It worked for me, hope that helps.