PDA

View Full Version : General Will the DMC- 12's value increase dramatically in 2015?

wrkey
10-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I originally posted this on the Facebook De Lorean Owner's page but haven't got the response I was hoping for. Since this group is more active and appears to have more opinions, I have posted here.

BTTF (1st) movie was released on July 3rd, 1985 and in 2015 it will be 30 years since this date. In the second movie the cast travels to Oct. 21, 2015.

I believe our cars value is largely due to being featured in this film. I also believe that over the next 2 years as we approach October of 2015, where I suspect there will be lots of 'fanfare' around the BTTF movies, our cars will become even more desirable and thus drive the value of them even higher.

Debate.

Totally 80s
10-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Nope.

No pedigree.
Not low enough production numbers.
Nerd stigma

Rich
10-12-2013, 10:28 AM
+1

Nothing much happened to D values when Universal trotted out the digitized 25th Anniversary BTTF re-release DVD set and ran BTTF in theaters as part of the 25th Ann. hoopla a few years back.

So will the 30th Anniversary somehow have more of an effect? Doubt it.

Dangermouse
10-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I think there will be a peak for BTTF replicas but I don't think that will reflect in standard cars.

Exolis
10-12-2013, 11:45 AM
+1

Nothing much happened to D values when Universal trotted out the digitized 25th Anniversary BTTF re-release DVD set and ran BTTF in theaters as part of the 25th Ann. hoopla a few years back.

So will the 30th Anniversary somehow have more of an effect? Doubt it.

Only thing I can forsee is people wanting to get in a DeLorean to pose with one in 2015, that's about it. Sure tumbler and such will be full of "yo, just arrived in 2015! #YOLO #TimeTraveler #TimeTravelingbeforeitwascool." etc etc.

Josh
10-12-2013, 11:57 AM
#YOLO #TimeTraveler #TimeTravelingbeforeitwascool." etc etc.

LOL! :hysterical:

David T
10-12-2013, 12:44 PM
LOL! :hysterical:

The Delorean is more affected by what happens in the car market than the movie market or the Sci-Fi market. In the car market the 20 and 25th years are the big deal, not the 30th. Other things that *could* affect the value were JZD's death and any celebrity owners. Didn't seem to matter much. The trend is slow and steady increase in value. That would be for cars that are in good shape. The ones that are NOT in good shape will continue to go down in value as they age and the parts to fix them become more scarce and expensive. There is always the chance a Delorean will be featured in another movie and that could cause a jump in value. The other possibility is someone goes crazy and overbids at an auction. It can cause the market to overprice the car for a short time. It happened with the Amphicar.

ALEXAKOS
10-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Debate.

Love this ending of your thread. Sounds like: RUN!!!:headbang:

I just think there will be an increased request to rent a replica for that date at different locations.

The delorean value it's self will be increasing very slowly over the next yeast just because it is getting older and more people are becoming aware to this vehicle.

I am certain, after my Delorean arrived in Greece, there will be a steady increase of the D number brought here.:notworthy:

JIMJAM
10-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Nope but this inflation calculator is sobering. My father bought one new in 82 for 26 grand. That means in todays money it was over 66 thousand. The same car today that say goes for 26 grand would have been only 10 back then.
Anyways punch in some numbers and dates and its pretty depressing.
BTW- Tracking or trying to predict precious metals,cars or houses will drive one insane.
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

sdg3205
10-12-2013, 04:50 PM
He magic number is about 80.

I posted an article back on .com that was quite well researched on the value of cars. It showed how most collectable cars' value begin to increase at a greater rate than a mutual fund of equal value around the 80 yr mark.

Wish I could find it. I honestly do believe our cars will become very valuable, but not for a long time.

Totally 80s
10-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Why would you want it to go way up in value anyway? If the car was worth 100 thousand dollars you couldn't afford to drive it. You know how much a left front fender would be on a $100,000 Delorean. I'd ballpark it at about $15,000. And forget about "aftermarket" fenders. No way a rich dude is putting an aftermarket fender on his $100k Delorean. Part of the reason aftermarket Ferrari parts are hard to come by.

sdg3205
10-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Why would you want it to go way up in value anyway? If the car was worth 100 thousand dollars you couldn't afford to drive it. You know how much a left front fender would be on a $100,000 Delorean. I'd ballpark it at about $15,000. And forget about "aftermarket" fenders. No way a rich dude is putting an aftermarket fender on his $100k Delorean. Part of the reason aftermarket Ferrari parts are hard to come by.

Yes, it would be terrible to have a $100,000 car I paid $12,000 for and enjoyed for 50 years.

Totally 80s
10-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes, it would be terrible to have a $100,000 car I paid $12,000 for and enjoyed for 50 years.

I think its a safe bet you won't have that car for 50 years.

sdg3205
10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
I think its a safe bet you won't have that car for 50 years.

Anything is possible, but what makes you say that?

andy blackmon
10-12-2013, 08:36 PM
I think I have a good shot at owning a Delorean for 50 years. I have had it for 32 years and have no plans to sell. - Andy Blackmon owner of 03513.

sdg3205
10-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I think I have a good shot at owning a Delorean for 50 years. I have had it for 32 years and have no plans to sell. - Andy Blackmon owner of 03513.

Pride of ownership and love of the car.

Barring unforeseen dire financial straits I have no intention of ever selling 3205.

Ill see if I can dig up that article.

DeLorean03
10-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Nope. Just is what it is.

dhaney
10-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Nope but this inflation calculator is sobering. My father bought one new in 82 for 26 grand. That means in todays money it was over 66 thousand. The same car today that say goes for 26 grand would have been only 10 back then.
Anyways punch in some numbers and dates and its pretty depressing.
BTW- Tracking or trying to predict precious metals,cars or houses will drive one insane.
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

It is worse than you make out... original owner of vin 03254 paid $27500 out the door in Sept. 81. In May 1985 my dad paid original purchaser $12K....

That is huge depreciation especially since the car had less than 6K on the odometer and it still looked new and even still had that new car smell... ;-)

Dan
Vin 03254 and 04770

Michael
10-13-2013, 12:16 AM
It is worse than you make out... original owner of vin 03254 paid $27500 out the door in Sept. 81. In May 1985 my dad paid original purchaser $12K....

That is huge depreciation especially since the car had less than 6K on the odometer and it still looked new and even still had that new car smell... ;-)

Dan
Vin 03254 and 04770

In May 1985 you couldn't buy parts for them. A man I used to work for bought a DeLorean when they were new, {Side Story: Once around 1995 the subject came up and I mentioned that I wanted a DeLorean, he smiled and told me he used to have one, and gave me an original brochure that I kept all those years and still have to this day} Anyway, one story he told me was the day he traded it. He needed a part(I don't remember which part...but it was important) so he went buy the dealership that sold them new. The part came up being listed as "Permanent Backorder" and not much explaination as to what that meant. That same day he took it to the BMW dealership, parked it out front and opened the doors and inquired about trading it on a new BMW 5 series. The lot had the DeLorean sold before he even got off the lot with his BMW. The point I'm making is...panic of parts not being available anymore probably had a whole lot to do with prices at that time.

Totally 80s
10-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Pride of ownership and love of the car.

Barring unforeseen dire financial straits I have no intention of ever selling 3205.

Ill see if I can dig up that article.

Everybody says that. I'm not tryin to break your balls on this it's just that very few people keep any car 50 years. I'll be almost 90 years old in 50 years. No way I will be able to drive this car or fix this car when I'm 90. Or 75 or 80 for that matter. But if your still driving your Delorean at 90 years old in the year 2063 (please note that a great deal of parts will no longer be available for the car DMCH already said they have about 20 more years of doors than thats it) more power to ya.

Totally 80s
10-13-2013, 12:23 PM
In May 1985 you couldn't buy parts for them. A man I used to work for bought a DeLorean when they were new, {Side Story: Once around 1995 the subject came up and I mentioned that I wanted a DeLorean, he smiled and told me he used to have one, and gave me an original brochure that I kept all those years and still have to this day} Anyway, one story he told me was the day he traded it. He needed a part(I don't remember which part...but it was important) so he went buy the dealership that sold them new. The part came up being listed as "Permanent Backorder" and not much explaination as to what that meant. That same day he took it to the BMW dealership, parked it out front and opened the doors and inquired about trading it on a new BMW 5 series. The lot had the DeLorean sold before he even got off the lot with his BMW. The point I'm making is...panic of parts not being available anymore probably had a whole lot to do with prices at that time.

I am interested to see what happens to the price of the car when doors are no longer available. I remember DMCH saying at the rate they are selling doors they have about 20 more years. I can't see how it would be financially feasible to make brand new doors. It would be a terrific undertaking and very very costly. Also at a certain point the engines and transmissions will get difficult to find.

Michael
10-13-2013, 02:41 PM
I am interested to see what happens to the price of the car when doors are no longer available. I remember DMCH saying at the rate they are selling doors they have about 20 more years.

That's a long time to wait to satisfy an interest. I for one don't loose a lot of sleep over what may or may not happen to DeLorean parts or prices in the next 20 years.

JRNY13
10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
If DMCH runs out of parts, won't they go out of business? In order to survive don't you think they'll start recreating parts at some point?

I am interested to see what happens to the price of the car when doors are no longer available. I remember DMCH saying at the rate they are selling doors they have about 20 more years. I can't see how it would be financially feasible to make brand new doors. It would be a terrific undertaking and very very costly. Also at a certain point the engines and transmissions will get difficult to find.

Totally 80s
10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
If DMCH runs out of parts, won't they go out of business? In order to survive don't you think they'll start recreating parts at some point?

I can't even imagine what a door would cost to remake. The molds would be probably a million dollars each by the time you got it right.

Totally 80s
10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
That's a long time to wait to satisfy an interest. I for one don't loose a lot of sleep over what may or may not happen to DeLorean parts or prices in the next 20 years.

I said It will be interesting to know what happens when they run out of doors, not that I was losing sleep over it. This thread is about Delorean values, that's what we are talking about here.

David T
10-13-2013, 10:03 PM
I said It will be interesting to know what happens when they run out of doors, not that I was losing sleep over it. This thread is about Delorean values, that's what we are talking about here.

It is not that hard to see the future for the supply of parts. At some point when the parts become more expensive or simply unavailable, parts cars will go up in price. Parts that were considered economically unrepairable will be repaired. At some point someone will come forward (as in the case of the frames) and start making some parts. As time goes on the fleet of Deloreans will accumulate less and less mileage so there should be less need for body parts that could be damaged in accidents. Also as the price of parts goes up, people that have been hoarding parts will start unloading them at the newer, higher prices. Parts will be available for the foreseeable future. You just may have to get used to paying more for them. That is one of the pressures driving prices higher into the future. Cars that are well maintained (by buying parts over the course of the car's life) will always be worth more. That is why a well taken care of car will always cost more than a beater.

AugustneverEnds
10-14-2013, 12:25 PM
My guess is that our cars will slowly increase in value, maybe at a slightly greater rate than inflation. Kind of continue on the trajectory they have been on for the past decade or so. Of course maybe a JZD movie could drive prices up more sharply

Exolis
10-14-2013, 01:03 PM
It would be quite a bit of an investment, and who knows if it would be practical for the demand. But it is possible to make an accurate replacement door as there are tools that will essentially trace a part into CAD data. Then have a few body production engineers design the die for it.

It's hard to say how much it would cost, but luckily most of the work needed would be digital and would save a lot of the costs.

wrkey
10-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Great discussion thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

My take on the opinions expressed... the rise in value won't be signficant enough in 2015 that is should be considered in determining the potential value of a car today (2013).

Again thanks for the input!

DeLorean03
10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
The DeLorean will always be the most admired yet most undervalued classic car out there. People love them, but "speed freaks" won't dare own one because if its lack of power. Without the speed, the car simply won't appreciate like others. Most car guys don't get that "speed isn't everything." You could have a 1994 McLaren and if it had 130 HP, everyone would think it was a joke no matter how exotic it looks. It's so unfortunate, but it is true.

Another factor is probably due to the general lack of knowledge and understanding from the public. While they have a rich and thorough history for such a short lifespan, they don't have the heritage of BMW or Ferrari.

This car won't go up into "significant territory" until we're all on life support or dead. It just doesn't have much going for it that makes it ultra-desirable. Ultra-admired and loved = yes, ultra-desired = nope.

JIMJAM
10-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Enough were made that if the prices or demand were to explode more and more barn finds,garage dust gathers and ones in bad need of work would come out of the woodwork. I personally know of a building where at least 16 have been sitting since 1984.When the old guy passes I am pretty sure his sons will want to dump them. Thing is I saw one orange Plymouth Superbird mixed in that had dust a inch thick that is probably worth more than all the Deloreans.
Not many of us bought our Ds as investments. I knew going in I was going to dump in more money than I would ever get back out.
My father bought a new Delorean right off the lot in 82.Broke down on the way home from Myrtle Beach and arrived on a flatbed. In betreen replacing waterpumps,overheating and electrical problems, I got to drive it for a little over a year before he sold it for a HUGE loss. 4 years ago I bought almost the identical car much to my fathers surprise.And yes like my father before its been a pita,curse inducing, 4 wheels of worry,stainless cash sucker.
But like the saying goes it cheaper to keep her at this point.

Mike Z
10-17-2013, 03:36 PM
I really hope they don't explode in value in 2015. If I'm being realistic, financially I won't be able to get one until early to mid-2015 and if they all of a sudden became more expensive that would be the end of the road for my DeLorean dream.