PDA

View Full Version : Engine Engine Swap Options - 7th Gen Accord V6?

LordFly
10-16-2013, 09:14 AM
It's no shock to anyone that the PRV leaves a little something to be desired. This is not a serious investigation at this point, I'm more just curious about everyones input, and other suggestions. Currently my engine is fine, but should something major go wrong, rather than repair, I would likely replace. I'm not looking to build a drag car or anything ridiculous, just something to make it moderately quick, but still get some decent gas mileage on the highway.

This is where the 2003-2007 Accord comes in. The J30A4 / J30A5 is a 3.0L V6 making 240 / 244 HP and 211 lb.ft of torque, while also getting 26 MPG on the highway. And that's in a 3300 lb Accord, mileage would be even better in a car weighing 600 lbs less :yesss: The reliability of a Honda in the styling of a DeLorean :)

Thoughts? Other suggestions? What would you guys swap in for a nice highway cruising machine that doesn't hurt the wallet, but also has a lot more power than the PRV?

Delorean Industries
10-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Already been done over in NY. There is an acura swap driving around.

LordFly
10-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Ahh nice, that much be THIS ONE (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?609-Lets-see-some-engine-bay-pics&p=11666&viewfull=1#post11666). I was actually worried (without doing ANY research) that the 3.2L might be getting a little large to fit in the engine bay, but it actually looks quite small in there. I can't find very many posts about it :(

Dangermouse
10-16-2013, 10:48 AM
That's the one. I saw it at DCS and it is about the same size as the PRV in the engine bay. Tom has done a fantastic job with it.

tommyrich
10-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes, That is mine!
I have been very happy with the results. I know I have not posted about it too much. One of the reasons is that I was working on it at the same time that NicholasR was posting about his LS1 swap (great job, BTW) and I didn't want to step on his toes.

It fits very well into the engine bay. The only frame mod was to cut a notch out of the frame under the PRV. It is a J32-A3 from a 2005 Acura TL mated to a Porsche 915 transmission from a 1978 911.
Tom

LordFly
10-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Just don't post it in his thread and I think you'll be ok ;)

It is definitely a swap I would be interested in. I'd love to read a big long picture filled thread about it though. I probably won't be doing it any time soon, but someday down the road I think it could be a fantastic project.

AdmiralSenn
10-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Can confirm Tom's Acura swap is freakin' gorgeous. I am jealous of many parts of that car. >_>

tommyrich
10-16-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd love to read a big long picture filled thread about it though.

I will write one... Hopefully soon. I have a ton of pictures and would like to give the proper credit to all those who helped.
Tom

anywhen
10-16-2013, 11:15 PM
http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/motus-v4-baby-block-available-as-crate-engine-32467.html#axzz2hwex6rBp

Somebody Stop Me!

Dangermouse
10-16-2013, 11:39 PM
I will write one... Hopefully soon. I have a ton of pictures and would like to give the proper credit to all those who helped.
Tom

And now that we have the perfect new subforum, it would be a great place to put it.

I think we'd all love to read about it Tom. :)

LordFly
10-17-2013, 12:40 AM
http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/motus-v4-baby-block-available-as-crate-engine-32467.html#axzz2hwex6rBp

Somebody Stop Me!

Bike engine in a DeLorean? :confused2: You'd be lucky if it made 100 ft.lbs.

Josh
10-17-2013, 01:41 AM
I would worry about the rot on your frame before you start swapping engines. This is quite the job in itself. But that is my opinion.

Also, do not under estimate the time, knowledge, and money that goes into doing a proper engine swap!

LordFly
10-17-2013, 08:32 AM
It's true, my frame is not in the best of shape. I would eventually like to go with a stainless one. Which gives me two options:

1. Do the swap, see what modifications are required to the frame. Build those modifications into the stainless frame.
2. Do stainless frame and engine swap at the same time.

I kind of like option 1 better. It would let me work out any problems ahead of time.

And yes, I'm aware of the amount of work required. And at the speed I work, I would expect the car to be down for probably an entire season, even if I started at the beginning of the winter ;) But ultimately in the end I think it would be worth it. The J35A8 out of either the RL or the TL Type-S makes 290HP and 256ft.lbs. That would really make a DeLorean move :driving1: And while still getting almost 30MPG with turn-key Honda reliability. It just sounds like a better and better idea every time I think about it. Just need lots of $$$ and time :(

Exolis
10-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Also research the software side of stuff before taking a Modern engine with ECU. Mechanical Turn Keys should be easier, but I imagine there is some type of immobilizer. For example, if one were to take an engine from a car with Push start, you would need way more then just Engine and ECU as other modules are tied into into the starting/security of the vehicle.

Also, will you be using the same transmission from the Honda?

LordFly
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Also research the software side of stuff before taking a Modern engine with ECU. Mechanical Turn Keys should be easier, but I imagine there is some type of immobilizer. For example, if one were to take an engine from a car with Push start, you would need way more then just Engine and ECU as other modules are tied into into the starting/security of the vehicle.

Also, will you be using the same transmission from the Honda?

The software is one reason I wouldn't want to go TOO new. Obviously there are ways around everything, but I wouldn't want to have to dig too deep into that kinda thing.

Unlikely. The Porsche 915 tranny that Tom used seems like a good option. Or maybe the G50, I've heard good things about it. From what I understand, tranny options are rather limited due to the whole rear engine thing. Unless you want 5 reverse gears and only 1 forward one ;)

louielouie2000
10-19-2013, 03:51 PM
From what I understand, tranny options are rather limited due to the whole rear engine thing. Unless you want 5 reverse gears and only 1 forward one ;)

It's not just the rear engined thing. It's the fact the DeLorean (Renault sourced) transmission is also a transaxle. And unlike most front wheel drive or mid engined cars which also implement transaxles, the DeLorean engine is not mounted transversely. What this amounts to is essentially the only transmissions that can be used in DeLoreans are either the stock Renault sourced transaxle, or retrofitting Porsche 911 transaxles.

LordFly
10-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Exactly. That's a much better explanation :)

DrJeff
10-19-2013, 05:20 PM
It fits very well into the engine bay. The only frame mod was to cut a notch out of the frame under the PRV. It is a J32-A3 from a 2005 Acura TL mated to a Porsche 915 transmission from a 1978 911.
Tom

Tom, could you have stayed with the stock Delorean transmission and still swapped to the J32?

tommyrich
10-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Tom, could you have stayed with the stock Delorean transmission and still swapped to the J32?

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is that the donor car was an automatic an the transmission was not working properly. I wanted a 5-speed and it was probably just as hard to get a Delorean transmission as a Porsche one. The added advantage of the Porsche is that there is a company that makes adapters for "sand rails". The kits mate many different engines to Porsche transmissions. That made one part of the swap a lot easier.

Tom