PDA

View Full Version : General Need a reliable DeLorean/PRV mechanic in NC or SC

Hokie
10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
'Nuff said. But I'll add, preferably in the Charlotte metro area. Help me please! Anyone?

NightFlyer
10-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Bill Robertson is in Laurinburg, NC

Hokie
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Bill Robertson is in Laurinburg, NC

Tell me more about Bill?

louielouie2000
10-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Tell me more about Bill?

He's a fellow owner who helps out many in the community with their cars. As a fair warning, he'll try to convert you to the carburetion faithful, though. :tongue2: Also, he's not a shop- he doesn't run a repair business. He just likes to help out fellow owners & socialize with them.

I know you started one of these threads before- did you ever call Automotive International on Old Pineville Rd like I suggested? There have been many DeLoreans spotted in their shop over the years (I lived in Charlotte for a decade).

Can't say I recommend him from my firsthand experience, but there's also Bob Miller up in Durham. He used to advertise in Hemmings; not sure if he still does or not. Here's a thread with his contact info:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2679-Bob-Miller-in-Durham-NC-how-to-contact

Over any of these, I'd recommend sending the car to a vendor if you don't want to do the work yourself. I had minor stuff done on my DeLoreans in the Carolinas during my ownership tenure, and almost all of it had to be redone because they just didn't know what they are doing. If you DO have interest in doing work yourself, get to know the local Carolinas owners. They're a fantastic bunch, and they hold tech days & help out with each others cars. Darren Decker just held his biannual meetup last weekend up near Winston-Salem, in fact.

Hokie
10-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Over any of these, I'd recommend sending the car to a vendor if you don't want to do the work yourself. I had minor stuff done on my DeLoreans in the Carolinas during my ownership tenure, and almost all of it had to be redone because they just didn't know what they are doing. If you DO have interest in doing work yourself, get to know the local Carolinas owners. They're a fantastic bunch, and they hold tech days & help out with each others cars. Darren Decker just held his biannual meetup last weekend up near Winston-Salem, in fact.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I was actually at the tech event last weekend. Was supposed to meet DPI Josh there for a new water pump but he had an accident on the way. I was sort of counting on these tech events as being my major work source, but I realize now that I need a back-up plan.
BTW-I did contact AI in Charlotte. They were sort of ho-hum and at the time I was sort of cautious, but 'm planning on giving them a shot at the water pump work, them and a few other shops. Sure would help to have a solid recommendation first, from an owner. Thanks again!

Chris Burns
10-17-2013, 10:11 PM
We are here to help Mark!!

Hokie
10-18-2013, 08:06 AM
We are here to help Mark!!

Thanks Chris! Would you like to replace my water pump? :-)

louielouie2000
10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was actually at the tech event last weekend. Was supposed to meet DPI Josh there for a new water pump but he had an accident on the way. I was sort of counting on these tech events as being my major work source, but I realize now that I need a back-up plan.
BTW-I did contact AI in Charlotte. They were sort of ho-hum and at the time I was sort of cautious, but 'm planning on giving them a shot at the water pump work, them and a few other shops. Sure would help to have a solid recommendation first, from an owner. Thanks again!

A water pump is a pretty big job... not one that's really suitable for a tech day. I've replaced a few now, I'd help you if I were in the area. It's not hard, it's just very time involved... you have to remove a lot of parts. Plus, once you've got the intake manifold off, you never really know what you'll find under there. More than likely there are rotted old coolant hoses at the very least. Whenever I replaced my cars water pumps, I took the opportunity to just replace everything down there since it was opened up: vacuum lines & components, coolant lines, o-rings, spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before! Jeff Friday is a former owner who lives up in Concord who is still doing some side work on DeLoreans. He has done his fair share of water pump replacements. If you're interested, I'll pass along his number through PM. He's super thorough, knows the DeLorean inside and out, and he'll probably be significantly cheaper than an import shop. He'll more than likely be able to find some things your car needs before they become issues, too.

NightFlyer
10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Bill can do waterpumps in his sleep. He can be contacted directly over on http://www.dmctoday.com/member.php?10-content22207

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDegiojijw

Hokie
10-18-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before! Jeff Friday is a former owner who lives up in Concord who is still doing some side work on DeLoreans. He has done his fair share of water pump replacements. If you're interested, I'll pass along his number through PM. He's super thorough, knows the DeLorean inside and out, and he'll probably be significantly cheaper than an import shop. He'll more than likely be able to find some things your car needs before they become issues, too.

Yes, please PM me his number. I'm actually excited; this could be the answer for me!