PDA

View Full Version : General Advice on thin double-stick tape for SS bumper letters

jawn101
10-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I got my bumper letters about a year ago from the UK forum. They look great, really nice quality and such - but they aren't adhesive backed like I've heard they are from some vendors in the US.

What kind of double-stick tape do you guys think would be a good fit for these? I live and die by the 3M grey stuff with the red liner normally, but given the shallow depth of the relief in the bumper, I think that stuff would make these stick out too far.

Michael
10-30-2013, 08:21 PM
3M emblem tape comes in different thickness but you probably will not find the thin stuff locally so you will have to order it. Another thing to consider is the tape will not cover the entire letter, unless you spend a ton of time trimming, so the actual adhesive area will be smaller and the bond not as strong.

Another item to look at is the transferring adhesive strip, you simply lay the emblem on to the exposed tape and it will pick up the exact shape of the emblem with no trimming. The down side is it's expensive and you will probably need one for every 1 or 2 letters.

Stay away from the tube adhesives. In a case like this you will most likely make a mess.

DeLorean03
10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Used it first in 2004. Haven't had a letter fall off to this day.

Less is more:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDepot/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=MMM+8061&gclid=CJm0sajwv7oCFQhgMgoddlAACQ

jawn101
10-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys. I'd rather stay away from tube adhesive as well as I may want to remove these when I get the bumpers painted. No interest in painting the black, but may have them lightly wet sanded to remove impurities and bring back some of the luster.

Michael, any links to stuff you've used before? I'm not having tons of luck finding anything.

DeLorean03
10-31-2013, 10:46 PM
HillBillyDMC here repainted my bumper when I was rear-ended in a parking lot in 2008. Shop you choose (or you) may have to take appropriate measures to keep the SS letters safe. Oh, and when I was rear-ended, it was on the "EA" of DeLorean, so those letters had to be tweaked/fixed as well.

If you use nearly any kind of 2x sided tape worth its salt, it will probably be just as strong as liquid emblem adhesive.

Not trying to be a thorn in your side, just bringing to light any "angles" maybe not seen ;).

Michael
10-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Michael, any links to stuff you've used before? I'm not having tons of luck finding anything.

Sorry, I have never used it, I just remember seeing it in the auto paint supply shops, and it's been a few years since I have been in that shop.

jawn101
10-31-2013, 11:17 PM
HillBillyDMC here repainted my bumper when I was rear-ended in a parking lot in 2008. Shop you choose (or you) may have to take appropriate measures to keep the SS letters safe. Oh, and when I was rear-ended, it was on the "EA" of DeLorean, so those letters had to be tweaked/fixed as well.

If you use nearly any kind of 2x sided tape worth its salt, it will probably be just as strong as liquid emblem adhesive.

Not trying to be a thorn in your side, just bringing to light any "angles" maybe not seen ;).

No no, you're probably right. I've had the letters for almost a year now, and I have been holding off installing them until I get the paint work done. But I've been holding off doing THAT because it's really expensive. I just thought I might get the letters installed in the meantime and leave myself the option to yank em off if I had to later. But maybe I should consider them more permanent than that and just keep waiting... dammit.

Sorry, I have never used it, I just remember seeing it in the auto paint supply shops, and it's been a few years since I have been in that shop.

No worries. Thanks! :)