PDA

View Full Version : General Missing Hose?

nwotank
11-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I was going through my car and I noticed what appears to me a place missing a hose, not sure if it is necessary or what it is supposed to be connected to. I have an automatic. Any thoughts?

http://gvmpl.us/aajk

http://gvmpl.us/h908

DMCMW Dave
11-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Bleeder valve. Like a brake bleeder but for the cooling system. Open carefully, often frozen and will seize and/or break off. And spray hot coolant on you if the engine is hot.

nwotank
11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Bleeder valve. Like a brake bleeder but for the cooling system. Open carefully, often frozen and will seize and/or break off. And spray hot coolant on you if the engine is hot.

THank you, sounds like i have to purchase the air bleeder kit then.

Delorean Industries
11-05-2013, 07:33 PM
THank you, sounds like i have to purchase the air bleeder kit then.

DPI bleeder kit: In stock ready to ship

http://delorean.gostorego.com/kits/engine/cooling-system-self-bleeder-kit.html

John U
11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Shouldn't need a self bleeder kit. If the system is properly bled and has no leaks it works fine without it.

Josh
11-05-2013, 11:41 PM
If it does snap, remove the thermostat housing and drill out the fitting. It uses 1/8"NPT threads. The brass is very soft and easy to drill out so it is not the end of the world. Also replace the thermostat and gasket while you are there.

Ron
11-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Shouldn't need a self bleeder kit. If the system is properly bled and has no leaks it works fine without it.Absolutely!

DMCMW Dave
11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
If it does snap, remove the thermostat housing and drill out the fitting. It uses 1/8"NPT threads. The brass is very soft and easy to drill out so it is not the end of the world. Also replace the thermostat and gasket while you are there.

Actually it's not 1/8 NPT. It is M1.0 pipe thread. Very close to the same, but metric.

Bitsyncmaster
11-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Actually it's not 1/8 NPT. It is M1.0 pipe thread. Very close to the same, but metric.

Are metric pipe threads tapered?

Josh
11-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Interesting, thank you for the correction Dave. I tapped mine with the 1/8" NPT tap, and installed a 1/8" NPT fitting. Ill keep an eye out there when I pressure test the system.

NightFlyer
11-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Shouldn't need a self bleeder kit. If the system is properly bled and has no leaks it works fine without it.

+1

The system will bleed itself through the header bottle, but sometimes needs some help in doing so. Lifting the rear end 3 feet in the air and running the engine up to temp a few times with a topped off header bottle does the trick for me. No self bleeder kit or messing with the bleed valve is necessary.

David T
11-06-2013, 06:02 PM
+1

The system will bleed itself through the header bottle, but sometimes needs some help in doing so. Lifting the rear end 3 feet in the air and running the engine up to temp a few times with a topped off header bottle does the trick for me. No self bleeder kit or messing with the bleed valve is necessary.

That bleeder fitting is intended to be used when initially filling the coolant system to quickly expel a lot of air (and some coolant) so the water pump is not airbound. After the initial bleeding any small quantities of air will be expelled to the header tank. If the system has leaks it will continually pull air in when it cools and can eventually get airbound. The auto bleeder can prevent that but it is better to fix the leaks than to rely on the auto bleeder. Even with an auto bleeder eventually the level will get so low that you do not have enough coolant anyway and the pump will get airbound. If you are having to add coolant regularly you need to fix the leaks, not install an auto bleeder.