PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I'm thinking about doing this...

Soundkillr
12-16-2013, 07:22 PM
I have been contacted my an agency to use my delorean in a new tv show. I have not spoken with them in depth yet, so don't have specific details, but they indicated to me it would have a large re occurring role. I can't discuss more than that at this point. Those of you who know me, know how I am with my cars, so the fact that I am considering this says a lot. I didn't have an issue with them using it for one episode, but it was proposed that it may in fact be used for several, meaning more time out of my schedule and probably leaving the car for the agency to use.
Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? I'm sure I need a specific type of insurance policy, and am not sure what it would be called, or a resonable cost incurred. Perhaps some of the bttf converted owners could chime in?
This would be a paid thing, but again don't have specifics. My main concers are time restraints, security and damage of any kind the vehicle may (and probably would) receive. Thoughts?

Delorean Industries
12-16-2013, 07:32 PM
I have been contacted my an agency to use my delorean in a new tv show. I have not spoken with them in depth yet, so don't have specific details, but they indicated to me it would have a large re occurring role. I can't discuss more than that at this point. Those of you who know me, know how I am with my cars, so the fact that I am considering this says a lot. I didn't have an issue with them using it for one episode, but it was proposed that it may in fact be used for several, meaning more time out of my schedule and probably leaving the car for the agency to use.
Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? I'm sure I need a specific type of insurance policy, and am not sure what it would be called, or a resonable cost incurred. Perhaps some of the bttf converted owners could chime in?
This would be a paid thing, but again don't have specifics. My main concers are time restraints, security and damage of any kind the vehicle may (and probably would) receive. Thoughts?

Don't do it. Not worth it and they will not take care of it. Just think of it like this. Everyone and their mother getting in and out of your car. We have done this in the past and it is not worth the stress. I know how you value your car and this will not end well.

if they want something to continuous use they need to purchase one.

Rich_NYS
12-16-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't have any DeLorean experience, but I have some experience with print media/production...etc.

Your interests/concerns might be treated with low priority.

Michael
12-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Read post #10, Very interesting and something you should consider.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5128-If-Top-Gear-wanted-to-use-your-car&highlight=gear+stratos

DMCVegas
12-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Read post #10, Very interesting and something you should consider.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5128-If-Top-Gear-wanted-to-use-your-car&highlight=gear+stratos

Fascinating. Another story I once read was in regard to the guy who restored the original Black Beauty from The Green Hornet. Universal Studios was very eager to "borrow" the vehicle to be shipped overseas...until he demanded a quarter-million dollar policy on the vehicle. In other words their plan was simply to keep the car once they took possession and simply let the insurance claim against it pay for it. They were OK when the price was really low, but when it hit $250,000 that they would have to pay for it, they changed their tune. Given another nightmare experience by other owners in the UK with Quentin Wilson and DeLoreans, I myself would not be willing to lend my car out to anyone. But again, that's just me...

mluder
12-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Dave Graham has leant his car to at least one production that I know of... He talked about it here...
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5352-3205-goes-back-to-school!

And here...
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6445-Indie-Music-Video-looking-for-a-DeLorean

I'd contact him for any advice.

Cheers
Steve

Soundkillr
12-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! Ill contact Dave if I get some time. Im leaning toward passing on this offer, due to time constraints and anxiety of conditions. The car is a very nice car, and looks near new. This would be a period correct filming, hence my cars appeal. That said, I stand to loose a lot of sleep over nicks dings and scratches.....

Jonathan
12-17-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm not a huge fan of loaning the cars out either. Too many unknowns and too little incentive for people to treat it well (or be held accountable if something goes wrong, missing, broken).

Food for thought on how you mentioned losing sleep, stress, etc....

If I go to a car show or cruise night and I go on my own, I am pretty nervous trying to keep an eye on the people around my car. The doors are normally open and it's that much easier to get in and fool around. If I go and check out other people's car at some point or go get something to eat, I always close the doors and lock them, and then while I am gone, I am still concerned for what is going on while I am away. I have come back to people doing a range of things like trying to open the doors themselves to get in, testing out the properties of the stainless steel by running a magnet down the side, etc., etc.

I look at having my car in someone else's hands for a TV show, or video shoot, or fundraising event as a week's long car show where I can't be there the whole time and God only knows what is being done when I am away. AND, they have the keys and can drive the thing! Holy Ferris Bueller valet parking! No thanks :)

Ron
12-17-2013, 10:43 AM
You will have a nervous breakdown...

LEVY
12-17-2013, 11:00 AM
If they are planningto use more than one time, they might drill holes to secure cameras, microphones etc. Even if they tell you otherwise.

Now, for the bragging rights, unless you customized it to your taste, all stock Deloreans look the same, especially for the general public.

LEVY

chris williams
12-17-2013, 02:43 PM
We have been working on a TV show for the last year or so, this finished on Sunday with 9 cars plus the car they have re-commissioned driving around a private test track at a film studio. Whilst we were all good drivers there was a lot asked of us with regards to our driving, however all those involved did a great job and I'm sure were more than competent. I have allowed them to use my car for some road and of road (old airfield) driving however they used proper skilled drivers for both my car and the film vehicles and I insisted the vehicle was insured for all risks inc mechanical! before they used it. They were more than happy to do this as were my insurers. None the less it is not a nice thing watching your car driven around by someone else, something about not being in control I think!
Chris

refugeefromcalif
12-17-2013, 06:26 PM
None the less it is not a nice thing watching your car driven around by someone else, something about not being in control I think!
Chris

I have let my son and son-in-law drive my car, (once each), while I rode shotgun.
I was a Nervous Wreck both times.

No way would I rent, loan or let somebody have control of my car again. Especially someone I don't know.

My .02 cents.

George

john 05141
12-18-2013, 03:44 AM
Not a great experience with that either.

I Was asked to use my Delorean for a videoclip last year. It was to be used for about 2 hours, I was present at all times.
They came to me as the video was shot 1/2 mile from my home. I did not charge anything as I wanted to see these guys for real and witness the recording of a video clip which was fun to see
I had a great afternoon and these guys were very nice and gentle with the car!

No complaints there either, the only thing I asked was a sighned DVD from the clip when done, how naif was I.... I never heard from them again! lesson learned, my D is not available for something like that again ever.

Jan

Spittybug
12-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Feel free to send any inquiries such as these my way. I love my Delorean, but it is a CAR. I am a fully capable businessman that can craft a contract to cover my requirements up to and including total loss.
Like any stock I own, there is a price I will get in at, and a price I will get out at.
If they aren't willing to put their money where their mouths are, they can walk....but I'd listen to their pitch.

Lou and "Boo"
12-18-2013, 06:14 PM
loaning or renting out your Delorean is like the movie "indecent proposal"
Its like allowing someone to sleep with your wife for money.

Spittybug
12-18-2013, 07:33 PM
How much we talking? For the car that is......................:wiggle:

Jacko
12-18-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't let anyone drive my DeLorean ... period. My main reason is
the pedals are so close together that a typical driver would have
trouble managing them.
I have had a couple of cars with awkward pedal placement including
a '72 Pantera where you had to sit in an awkward position since the
cockpit was so far forward ... not as bad as a Delorean.

opethmike
12-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't let anyone drive my DeLorean ... period. My main reason is
the pedals are so close together that a typical driver would have
trouble managing them.
I have had a couple of cars with awkward pedal placement including
a '72 Pantera where you had to sit in an awkward position since the
cockpit was so far forward ... not as bad as a Delorean.

Yeah, it certainly is awkward. Though my personal experience has found the Lotus Esprit and Ferrari 355 to have much worse pedal positions.

jackb
12-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Feel free to send any inquiries such as these my way. I love my Delorean, but it is a CAR. I am a fully capable businessman that can craft a contract to cover my requirements up to and including total loss.
Like any stock I own, there is a price I will get in at, and a price I will get out at.
If they aren't willing to put their money where their mouths are, they can walk....but I'd listen to their pitch.
That.
/thread.