PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Dealing with painted rust

Rich_NYS
12-17-2013, 10:52 PM
I have a few pics here for review; after loading them to an album, the pics are much larger and I'm seeing stuff I didn't notice before. It looks to me like rust that was painted over, which has been the suspicion of the members here that looked at some pics I posted. Taking this condition and the other issues into consideration, I'm going to make a low offer on this car tomorrow. I'm wondering what options I have for dealing with what I see here. I have the good advice to thoroughly examine the frame, but I'm looking for opinions & experiences on how to best deal with this particular condition (to include leaving it alone...lol!) I saw Jeremiah's album on frame rust, I'm hoping I won't have to get into it that deep :cool1:

Thanks!

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23805&d=1387225744

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23816&d=1387225744

NightFlyer
12-18-2013, 12:33 AM
All depends on the structural integrity of the steel that's there. If sound, then you'd merely need to strip (including the epoxy in all areas showing signs of surface rust) to bare metal and then properly prep, seal, and recover the affected areas. However, if weak with either rust through or significant rot causing soft spots, then you'd need to cut out the affected areas and weld in new steel. My guess is the former, however, the depression in the one photo does cause some concern. That's why a thorough knock examination is necessary and should give you a pretty good idea of what it is that you're dealing with. On the plus side, none of the suspension or load bearing areas appear to be affected. It does appear to be original steel though, in that you can clearly see what appears to be areas where the epoxy had flaked off the frame and was recovered with paint in addition to surrounding epoxy that was still adhered to the frame.

Delorean02378
12-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Something else to consider is the oil leak. Possibly a rear main seal which will need to be addressed. The frame doesn't look too bad.