PDA

View Full Version : How about a purple Delorean?

Chris Burns
01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
No, this is not the one that was for sale in Ohio. This is at BHCC. Talk about rough!!

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981-dmc-delorean--c-2597.htm

Delorean02378
01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Was this the one that was on Ebay for a short amount of time and located around Memphis? Can't be too many purple Deloreans around.

LEVY
01-24-2014, 12:27 PM
This is probably one of those three found in a barn some time ago, I remember one of those was purple.

LEVY

Delorean02378
01-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I remember which one you're referring to Marc but I think that one was in a lot better condition than this one.

There's that one, 3 barn find Deloreans (Purple, White, Stainless)
The one in Ohio with the hole in the pontoon
and this one that was on Ebay for all of an hour.

Delorean02378
01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Okay, maybe there's just two. I was wrong about the condition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwpuBXS6KWA

DMCMW Dave
01-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Here's a blast from the past. I looked this purple car 10186 (with the other) when it was in the Chicago area before they were sold. Kind of a far away photo, but what is interesting is the other two. In the photo with the car you will notice it was parked in front of a concrete wall. The other two photos are panned left and right, what you see is the gun towers at Joliet State Prison aka the Blues Brothers location.

Silverbullet
01-24-2014, 01:14 PM
The ad says Gray interior...but...it's Black...

Craig

LEVY
01-24-2014, 01:39 PM
I remember which one you're referring to Marc but I think that one was in a lot better condition than this one.

There's that one, 3 barn find Deloreans (Purple, White, Stainless)
The one in Ohio with the hole in the pontoon
and this one that was on Ebay for all of an hour.

Just to avoid confusion, I'm LEVY, not malevy. (now I know who Marc is).

LEVY

Delorean02378
01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Just to avoid confusion, I'm LEVY, not malevy. (now I know who Marc is).

LEVY

My bad, sorry. Not only a different user ID but your location is few miles away from NJ.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Found it, Kyle you were correct!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-DeLorean-DMC-12-Base-Coupe-2-Door-2-9L-/111250205517?item=111250205517&forcerrptr=true&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19e7076b4d&nma=true&si=CvGfws9inWs3p8s98yeeYExRmcQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_22wt_1153

The same car as

Dangermouse
01-24-2014, 02:22 PM
BHCC have given it a nice pressure wash. That will help :rolleyes1:

"Ran when parked 3 years ago" :)

JohnZ
01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
"Ran when parked 3 years ago" :)

Ah ah ah ! "I swear it!"

:D

louielouie2000
01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I know I'm nuts, but I kinda dig the dark purple. If it were resprayed I think the car could be really beautiful. I imagine the addition of dark wheels with the purple would really make the car look especially sharp.

Ras12
01-25-2014, 10:20 PM
What do you think the purple DMC on YouTube is worth? How about the one at BHCC?

Kenny_Z
01-26-2014, 08:47 AM
The cooked on paint on the hood is bringing back nightmares but I think those fascias might clean up just like Red's. The paint is flaking the same way.

Ras12
01-27-2014, 08:24 PM

Ras12
01-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Sorry...replied to the wrong thread/message. Ha! Any update on these since I'm trying to fix my message mess up?

Delorean02378
02-26-2014, 05:26 PM
No, this is not the one that was for sale in Ohio. This is at BHCC. Talk about rough!!

Just a quick update to the Purple Delorean for sale at Beverly Hill Car Club, I met with the previous owner who lives near Memphis and he sold it for $4,500. So they've got about $5,000 - $5,500 in it.

Denverdelorean
04-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Just a quick update to the Purple Delorean for sale at Beverly Hill Car Club, I met with the previous owner who lives near Memphis and he sold it for $4,500. So they've got about $5,000 - $5,500 in it.

I just bought this car. She will be stainless again. I am sure I can get it running in short order. I found this thread while searching for more info on the car.

Lowest I could get them was 10k. If it sorts out like I am hoping, I'll be happy with that. Even dumping another ten grand in will keep me ahead of the curve.

This will be my second D and the second time I have brought one up to spec from a state of neglect.

Domi
04-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your purchase ;)
Don't hesitate to share some pictures with us if you don't mind :)
Thanks!

Denverdelorean
04-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I plan to keep a picture log and I'll update you all with my progress. From what I have found out from previous owners and the seller, the paint is on a good stainless body. Not bondo or other body work. With any luck, that will be true and the strip down will be fairly straightforward.

Looking forward to bringing it back!

skill
04-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I plan to keep a picture log and I'll update you all with my progress. From what I have found out from previous owners and the seller, the paint is on a good stainless body. Not bondo or other body work. With any luck, that will be true and the strip down will be fairly straightforward.

Looking forward to bringing it back!

Gratz DenverD, I was eyeing that car for awhile. I can't wait to see it SS! Do share the photos!!! :-)

Denverdelorean
05-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Gratz DenverD, I was eyeing that car for awhile. I can't wait to see it SS! Do share the photos!!! :-)

The car is finally paid for and should ship out to me next week. I actually flew to LA last week for a disney trip and we took a day to check it out in person.

The interior is dry but ok save fort the seats. I'll need to replace a few bits and bobs and re do the upholstery. The paint Is truly awful and quite sloppily done. In my case, that is a good thing. Paint on the roof has fully chipped away and you can see the original stainless with grain intact below. The paint on the fascias peels off like wrapping paper. The jambs are not painted and the rub strips were never replaced. So stripping it should be fairly straightforward. I found some bondo on the front left fender (yikes) but it seems to be a fairly small repair ( you can see the paint doing its dry lakebed thing over the bondo patch). I'll start with that panel and know more in short order.

I plan to get quotes for soda blasting and dry ice blasting for paint removal. That will get all the paint off without messy chemicals.

I suspect relay and fuse problems contributing to the non start. It's all complete so there are only so many things it can be. Gas spark and air. Get all three and she should run.

I'll keep a build log for all to see. I am really looking forward to this project

Denverdelorean
05-29-2014, 07:46 AM
I received 3519 yesterday. I couldn't help myself and started tearing in to the paint immediately. The front left fender is dinged up but seems repairable. I can't fathom why they chose paint over repair for this. There was a solid 8th inch skim of bondo covering 2 shallow dents that will be easily dealt with by removing the panel and working from the back side. I am hoping this panel is the worst of it, This is the only one I could feel damage from the inside.

Mechanically, she seems decent. I replaced the battery and it seems like everything works. Lights, radio, instruments, windows. The right window regulator is jammed, rusted, or broken, but the left works ok. The seat rails are rusted in place from the window being open with rain pouring in for who knows how long.

The fuel pump is a royal mess. It was just sitting in its boot, not hooked up to anything but the feed lines. The gas smells like it is a million years old. A new fuel pump kit is on order already.

The headliner will need re covering, but I have done that before. It's a fairly easy job.

It'll cost a few bucks to get it decent. A lot more to get it perfect, but I'll get there.

Domi
05-29-2014, 07:58 AM
If the mechanical item are fine, that's a good start !)
Back to stainless in the next few month?

Denverdelorean
05-29-2014, 08:00 AM
If the mechanical item are fine, that's a good start !)
Back to stainless in the next few month?

Yes, I am setting a three week schedule to get back to stainless! I cant stand owning a painted delorean! Just doesn't seem right! Though admittedly, some of the painted ones are gorgeous. This is not one of them.

Barney10186
05-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Congrats! Welcome to the club! I couldnt stand seeing my delorean painted either. First priority. Best of luck with
3519!

Denverdelorean
05-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Well... I found out why she is painted. A previous owner side swiped something. The damage is fairly minor, but there a couple holes where someone tried to pull out a dent in the corner of the driver side door. It's really not terrible. But the stainless is VERY scratched up in this area from orbital sanders and such.

Here's hoping the passenger side is damage free. The roof and hood look good!

Photos to follow tomorrow when I have light.

Denverdelorean
05-31-2014, 11:22 PM
The return to stainless continues. The left side of this car is pretty beat up. But I have a few leads on panels to replace the damaged one. Even a left front fender if it comes to it. Though this one is salvageable. The door and left rear panel though.. I'll just say ouch. Check out the damage on that left rear. How do you even do that? There was a quarter inch of sculpted filler ofer the area.

DMCMW Dave
06-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Pretty amazing what you can hide with a gallon of Bondo.

Denverdelorean
06-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Pretty amazing what you can hide with a gallon of Bondo.

Indeed. The right side is straight as an arrow save for that small dent on the front. So that's a plus. Grain intact too. No DA grinding. Whew!

I have to admit I am having fun though! I liken the paint removal to peeling a sunburn. Maybe a bit unpleasant at times. But oh so satisfying!

Domi
06-01-2014, 03:40 AM
You did a great job so far, I'm impressed :thumbup:

Denverdelorean
06-01-2014, 09:53 PM
every panel is stripped! also, she started and ran for a second with a shot of starter fluid. (no fuel pump hooked up at all)

today was a good day. You can see all three car babies in the first pic. Charger in the garage, 49 ford in the driveway.

Dangermouse
06-02-2014, 08:48 AM
That's great work, DenverDelorean (any chance of a first name ?) Your neighbors must be watching with interest

So, what are you using for paint removal? What is your process?

Will be a useful read for future owners of badly painted cars.

Mark D
06-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Wow you made quick work of stripping all that paint (and bondo) off the car. It really is amazing the amount of bondo they used to smooth over that badly damaged section.

Denverdelorean
06-02-2014, 09:44 AM
every panel is stripped! also, she started and ran for a second with a shot of starter fluid. (no fuel pump hooked up at all)

today was a good day. You can see all three car babies in the first pic. Charger in the garage, 49 ford in the driveway.

My name is Matt.

I am using aircraft stripper from klean strip, and a heat gun /razor blade combo for stubborn patches. I may have it gone over with a soda blaster to make sure there is no paint left on the car.

dmcjohn
06-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Check out the damage on that left rear. How do you even do that? There was a quarter inch of sculpted filler ofer the area.

Just a guess - maybe the drivers side trailing arm bolt broke while driving, and the wheel went back and hit the fender. How does the frame look?

Mark D
06-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Now that I think of it, my car has damage in that same spot that has been repaired... Someone told me once that it was from loading/unloading it onto a trailer or car hauler and that it was somewhat common to see damage in that particular spot.

The damage on my car was nowhere near the level of what's in that photo so it might be unrelated.

Denverdelorean
06-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Just a guess - maybe the drivers side trailing arm bolt broke while driving, and the wheel went back and hit the fender. How does the frame look?

The frame looks perfect. the underside of this car is clean as a whistle. i would say that broken TABs is a possibility but the damage runs along the left side past the door. I suspect something was hit and then caught in the wheel well!

Denverdelorean
06-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Also, I got her to start and run for a few seconds with a shot of starter fluid. No fuel pump ket, But I am hopeful it'll run well with fuel getting to the distributor!

Josh
06-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Looking great! Its always a risk buying a painted car... You may be lucky or you may reveal many sins! Here's a pic of my Drivers rear quarter if it makes you feel better about yours, lol.

That's great to hear about the mechanics of the car. Revamping the fuel system is very common when waking up one of these cars (or any car for that matter) So im glad there are no more surprises there!

Denverdelorean
06-05-2014, 02:06 AM
There are a few dozen stubborn paint spots that are not yielding to stripper so I am sanding them off. The right side of the car is coming together, the left side is what it is until my replacement panels arrive. I am still planning to attempt repair on the few dings on the front left fender. It will be daunting but do able I think. I have been practicing on the left door and rear quarter and I think I'll be able to pick file and sand pretty well.

I attacked the heavily varnished fuel tank and started scooping out the half inch of varnish and sludge from the bottom of the tank. The fuel lines were still holding pressure and didn't bleed any sludge. I'll still be replacing the fuel accumulator, filter, and pump before an attempt to start it. I am updating to hue specialt auto in tank system.

The seat rails are trashed, rusted solid and I am only about 50 percent certain I will be able to get the bolts out of the seat bottom.

Fun fun!

Denverdelorean
06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
My seats are TRASHED from those windows being open for the last few years. Thank goodness the floors of our cars are plastic, because if they weren't, I am certain they would be rusted through. The seat rails are nearly rusted into one solid hunk and fused with the seat frame. Hours of work with drills, wire wheels, and penetrating oil made no progress on getting the bolts out of the lower seat frame. The tilt mechanism could probably be saved, but it would need major restoration work to be acceptable.

In the fuel tank front, I finally got all the sludge and varnish out. I ran a half gallon of laquer thinner through it and it is clean as a whistle now There is an odd, large copper wire coming in to the tank from the vent tube. Anyone know what this is? It isn't attached to anything and i don't see it in the parts manual.

DMCMW Dave
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
My seats are TRASHED from those windows being open for the last few years. Thank goodness the floors of our cars are plastic, because if they weren't, I am certain they would be rusted through. The seat rails are nearly rusted into one solid hunk and fused with the seat frame. Hours of work with drills, wire wheels, and penetrating oil made no progress on getting the bolts out of the lower seat frame. The tilt mechanism could probably be saved, but it would need major restoration work to be acceptable.

In the fuel tank front, I finally got all the sludge and varnish out. I ran a half gallon of laquer thinner through it and it is clean as a whistle now There is an odd, large copper wire coming in to the tank from the vent tube. Anyone know what this is? It isn't attached to anything and i don't see it in the parts manual.

http://store.delorean.com/c-274-2-1-0-tankhosespumpaccumulatoretc.aspx

http://store.delorean.com/p-6585-vent-tube.aspx

Static discharge wire

Denverdelorean
06-09-2014, 03:46 PM
http://store.delorean.com/c-274-2-1-0-tankhosespumpaccumulatoretc.aspx

http://store.delorean.com/p-6585-vent-tube.aspx

Static discharge wire

Thanks Dave. I couldn't id it from the schematic. I will leave it alone!

Denverdelorean
08-06-2014, 05:29 PM
I had to rebuild/restore/replace the entire fuel system. if gas touches it. I either replaced or cleaned it. She runs and drives now. for the first time in, from what documentation i have found, 16 years.

The seats are in the process of being re-covered now. I have replaced the drivers door and the drivers rear quarter. The front left will probably be replaced too. I have put a lot of work into it. and it is better. but it isn't perfect.

Rich_NYS
08-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Lookin' good man!

SIMid
08-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Lookin' good man!

+1.

Mark D
08-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting the progress photos, it's cool to see the progression of how things are coming along. It looks great so far :rock_on:

Denverdelorean
08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I won a left front fender on eBay for a pretty good price. So that will be replaced too! I am definitely putting the 'replaceable panels' concept into practice here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-DeLorean-DMC12-DMC-12-left-fender-/271560324240?nma=true&si=1Q68p9p4cXgUF70tUjgpa1Dns3g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Josh
08-07-2014, 02:18 PM
I won a left front fender on eBay for a pretty good price. So that will be replaced too! I am definitely putting the 'replaceable panels' concept into practice here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-DeLorean-DMC12-DMC-12-left-fender-/271560324240?nma=true&si=1Q68p9p4cXgUF70tUjgpa1Dns3g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

damn that's a good price!

Ras12
08-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Car is looking great.