PDA

View Full Version : This might sound like a ridiculous question....

Rich_NYS
01-26-2014, 02:53 PM
....but I'm a new owner so I need to ask:

Do these cars normally start so easily in cold weather? It gets really cold where I live, it was 25F in my garage this morning, and has been in the teens at times inside my attached garage (outside goes below zero.)

This morning I hit the key; the car started right up, hunted a little at cold idle for a few minutes, then idled nice & smooth. My snow-thrower wouldn't start, but my >30 year-old DeLorean did.:thumbup2:

It might be a dumbass thing to say, but I didn't expect it to run so nice. I think because of the cars age, and being in storage for 11 years, my expectations were kinda low. Apparently they are a very nice running car or I got very lucky.

Also, an observation: I see a definite improvement in the engine idle since changing the fuel filter. I'm pretty certain there was a bunch of deteriorated teflon [from the old orange hoses] up against the inlet of the fuel filter, maybe it was starving the engine.

vwdmc16
01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Kinda sounds like you are complaining that your car is so awesome......

Rich_NYS
01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=vwdmc16;132071]Kinda sounds like you are complaining that your car is so awesome......[/QUOTE

HAHA...No complaints! -Just sharing my astonishment...:wow:

Jonathan
01-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Nice to hear, Rich! (the awesomeness of your DeLorean that is :) )

Also nice to hear how you saw some improvement from the fuel line/filter work. Even more incentive for others of us out there to get the same work done.

My car starts up right away and almost like magic when it's the first go after winter hibernation. And when you mentioned the snowblower not starting, one other thing came to mind.

When was the last time you spent the energy and effort to maintain something like a snowblower or lawnmower that you do on your DeLorean? :)

Not trying to assume anything of course, but many of us have never changed the oil in the snowblowers/lawnmowers, given it a new spark plug, made sure the gas was fresh, nuts and bolts were tight, etc. Those that do might still have the same lawnmower they've had since the 90s. And the dollars invested are trivial. A pack of two new spark plugs for my snowblower last season was about $5, lol. She runs like a champ now!!

NightFlyer
01-26-2014, 03:51 PM
....but I'm a new owner so I need to ask:

Do these cars normally start so easily in cold weather? It gets really cold where I live, it was 25F in my garage this morning, and has been in the teens at times inside my attached garage (outside goes below zero.)

This morning I hit the key; the car started right up, hunted a little at cold idle for a few minutes, then idled nice & smooth. My snow-thrower wouldn't start, but my >30 year-old DeLorean did.:thumbup2:

It might be a dumbass thing to say, but I didn't expect it to run so nice. I think because of the cars age, and being in storage for 11 years, my expectations were kinda low. Apparently they are a very nice running car or I got very lucky.

Also, an observation: I see a definite improvement in the engine idle since changing the fuel filter. I'm pretty certain there was a bunch of deteriorated teflon [from the old orange hoses] up against the inlet of the fuel filter, maybe it was starving the engine.

For the most part, starting in extreme cold temps shouldn't be a huge issue for a properly maintained DeLorean. Even though it's mechanical, K-Jet is pretty resistant to cold temps. Your snow blower probably uses a non-chokable carb, thus why it's more difficult to start in colder temperatures.

As for starting in general, our cars can experience both cold and hot start issues because of malfunctioning K-Jet components, in addition to other issues. Usually hot start problems are caused by one (or a combination) of three issues: bad check valve on the fuel pump, bad fuel accumulator, or bad PPR o-ring. As you now have a virtually indestructible check valve near the tank, if you ever encounter hot start issues in you the future, you'll automatically know that it's one of the two.

Regarding the previous storage situation, the fact that your car runs a smoothly as it does once started, I'd say that you got lucky (or did an accurate assessment upon purchase, as it was a running/drivable car).

And yep - you'd definitely notice a real (as opposed to a just-in-your-head) difference if the filter was indeed getting clogged/plugged by contaminants in the fuel. I'd change it out again after a season of a decent amount of driving.

Bitsyncmaster
01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
It starts so good cold because of the cold start valve system (CSV). It basically drives raw fuel into the intake unit until the engine starts. Kind of like an aircraft engine when you prime it.

Rich_NYS
01-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks....I'm pretty happy with this car! :smoke1: