PDA

View Full Version : General My Stage 2 DeLorean totaled in crash, what now...? (Tips/ Advice)

thomasuncles
02-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Sadly my newly purchased Stage 2-Automatic-DeLorean (purchased in October 2013) was hit by a delivery truck last week and rammed me into the car in front of me. Both front and back are beat up pretty bad (front and back fenders are bent and hood somewhat also... see pictures). My insurance company has declared the vehicle as totaled, although I have not had DMC California do a full repair estimate yet, where it is currently sitting. I am waiting to receive the "Salvage" value from my insurance company, and my insurance has offered to give me their estimated cash value of $31,200(this includes 9% CA tax). DMC CA has also already offered to buy the Salvage from me if the price is right. My first thought was, depending on the price, that I buy back the Salvage and have the repairs done with the leftover money my insurance. Will a "Salvaged" DeLorean lose most of its resale value though? I will add an update of the salvage value soon. If anyone has any experience in this situation help would be appreciated. I still consider myself a DeLorean "newby" and in my opinion it will cost me $35,000 upwards to find a matching replacement.... especially since the nice new interior, chrome rims, euro spec shocks, stage 2 engine and more all came from Will.I.am's DeLorean (the West cost customs one, before it was turned into that weird hybrid).

Thanks everyone. It is a very sad week and frustrating since the delivery truck was 100% at fault.

Best,

Thomas Uncles

Silverbullet
02-25-2014, 02:42 AM
Wow... That sucks.... A salvage title here in CA is REALLY bad... Some will not insure it, as it was already totaled... people will not pay much for it if you want to sell.. Best to see if you can buy one that needs work, and swap the good stuff over... just my .02

Craig

yellowmxwheels23
02-25-2014, 03:06 AM
I would be having the delivery truck company buying me another in that price range.

NightFlyer
02-25-2014, 03:39 AM
First off, glad that you're OK - that's the most important part. Second, that totally sucks - I feel for ya. As to the aftermath:

1) If the other driver was at fault, why is your insurance company paying the claim? Shouldn't you be making a claim against the at fault driver's insurance?

2) Are you saying that the estimated cash value is roughly $28,625, plus 9% CA sales tax, for a total compensatory payout of $31,200?

3) Whether or not you should buy the salvaged car depends upon the offered salvage price.

4) As to whether or not the car is worth repairing, it depends on the salvaged purchase price, the total extent of the damage done, and how repaired you want to make it. Repairing where possible and replacing with NOS parts where repairs aren't feasible, I estimate that it would take roughly $7,000 in parts/repairs to the body alone. If the fiberglass tubs are cracked at all, you'd be looking a complete tear down which is very labor intensive, not to mention the cost of repair and/or replacement of those.

5) As far as resale value of a 'salvage titled' vehicle is concerned, there's no doubt that such will definitely affect the value, but depending upon the extent/quality of the repairs done, not detrimentally so, but still significant.

I know that's somewhat vague, but without knowing the salvage value, that's the best assessment that I can offer.

Best luck!

Dangermouse
02-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Firstly, glad you're OK.

Honestly, I am surprised that the ins company has written the car off already. How can they do that without a repair estimate?

jwrayth
02-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Saw this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ebaymotors/1981-DELOREAN-DMC-12-CAR-Back-to-the-future-car-parts-car-/251460344518?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.RVI&ao=1&asc=20493&meid=5085980457472871130&pid=100033&prg=9150&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=161053711528&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1414) pop up this morning. Could be a worthwhile investment for tub/frame replacement...

Dangermouse
02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Saw this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ebaymotors/1981-DELOREAN-DMC-12-CAR-Back-to-the-future-car-parts-car-/251460344518?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.RVI&ao=1&asc=20493&meid=5085980457472871130&pid=100033&prg=9150&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=161053711528&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1414) pop up this morning. Could be a worthwhile investment for tub/frame replacement...

I'm sorry - listed on ebay.co.uk but he won't ship outside of the US??

jwrayth
02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Sorry, it'll be listed on Ebay US but my link was via ebay UK. Being UK based, all my email alerts from ebay come via the UK site.

Jimmyvonviggle
02-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Wow that is bad. This guy was obviously distracted by the car. I know of another car for sale that can be used for parts if you want to go that route, pm if you want the contact info.

Btw in that first picture if you look between the doors, read what it says on the truck that hit you. Thats coincidental.

Dangermouse
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Is it even legal to mount a hand truck to the front bumper like that?

Without it, you wouldn't have had nearly as much damage as you had inflicted on the rear fascia.

chris williams
02-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Really sorry to read this but glad your OK, certinally may be worth looking in to keeping it and selling it on. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest from the UK for a project car like that.
Important thing is your OK.
Chris

louielouie2000
02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Looking closely at the car, it's easy to see why the insurance company totaled it. Every single panel appears to be bent. The underbody likely has major damage. It's very possible you have frame damage. Unless you are attached to that particular car, I'd walk away. It can be repaired, but you will spend more money doing so than the car is worth; then you'll be left with a salvaged DeLorean with a depressed value.

Like you, I was also hit by someone in my DeLorean, and my car was also a total loss. Just keep in mind any offer an insurance company makes you is just that: an offer. This is a negotiation- don't take the first offer put on the table. If the car isn't your only form of transportation you can hold out longer & wait for a higher dollar amount. Start gathering comparable cars on the market immediately- either print or screen capture the listings so you can provide them as evidence to why you feel your car is worth "x" amount. Contact the various DeLorean vendors, and get prices on their pre-owned cars. DMC Florida typically has a large supply of them.

Regarding buying back the car to either part it out, resell, or restore: you have a couple of options. The insurance company will give you the right of first refusal: they'll say you can buy the car for "x" amount. If you chose not to purchase the car at that time, it will go to auction. It's possible to pick the car up for a cheaper price at auction than the insurance company offered you to buy it back for, but of course, that's a gamble. If you chose not to buy back the car, I'm sure many in the community would be grateful if you'd post the auction information on DMC Talk so they can have a chance to buy the car. There are plenty of folks who would love to purchase the car for parts, or a possible restoration.

Best of luck with this process- sorry to hear you have to go through it!

ALEXAKOS
02-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Third that Glad you're okay!!!
Second... things could have been worse!
Third...WHAT? I love your insurance!

Fourth....
Damn! if my restoration was complete I would love to buy that ebay delorean and build a EV out of it!

thomasuncles
02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Here are some more details and answers to your questions "Nightflyer".
1) My insurance has made a claim against the delivery truck company's insurance, since they were at fault and my insurance will be reimbursed for their expenses etc by them. I also have an attorney working on the case for me for property damage, income loss for missing work days etc.
2)Correct, I was offered a total of $31,200 cash payment, which seems fine. It just looks like it will be hard to find a replacement stage 2 automatic for that price, DMC seems to ask between $35,000-45,000 for a car like this.
3-5)Still waiting on Salvage value, but if the price is right I would most likely have DMC CA make me an offer for it, since they are so interested.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. If anyone knows someone selling a 3speed automatic(preferably stage 2), please let me know.

Thomas Uncles

First off, glad that you're OK - that's the most important part. Second, that totally sucks - I feel for ya. As to the aftermath:

1) If the other driver was at fault, why is your insurance company paying the claim? Shouldn't you be making a claim against the at fault driver's insurance?

2) Are you saying that the estimated cash value is roughly $28,625, plus 9% CA sales tax, for a total compensatory payout of $31,200?

3) Whether or not you should buy the salvaged car depends upon the offered salvage price.

4) As to whether or not the car is worth repairing, it depends on the salvaged purchase price, the total extent of the damage done, and how repaired you want to make it. Repairing where possible and replacing with NOS parts where repairs aren't feasible, I estimate that it would take roughly $7,000 in parts/repairs to the body alone. If the fiberglass tubs are cracked at all, you'd be looking a complete tear down which is very labor intensive, not to mention the cost of repair and/or replacement of those.

5) As far as resale value of a 'salvage titled' vehicle is concerned, there's no doubt that such will definitely affect the value, but depending upon the extent/quality of the repairs done, not detrimentally so, but still significant.

I know that's somewhat vague, but without knowing the salvage value, that's the best assessment that I can offer.

Best luck!

Jonathan
02-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the help. If anyone knows someone selling a 3speed automatic(preferably stage 2), please let me know.

Thomas Uncles

Hi Thomas,

We have an Ontario owner who has had his car listed for sale for a while now. I believe Gary is out East in the Maritimes and couldn't take his car with him. It is not a stage 2 but is a turbo car. It's an automatic as well. His contact info (Gary O'Connor) is listed on the ODOC website marketplace page. I'm not sure what the current/acceptable price tag will be but it would be perhaps worthwhile to speak to him about it and find out. It's a very nice car and it was the first one I ever got to sit in too!

http://odoc.ca/ODOC/Marketplace.html

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're ok. Even left front fenders are easier to replace than broken bones :)

Mark D
02-25-2014, 02:34 PM
I was offered a total of $31,200 cash payment, which seems fine. It just looks like it will be hard to find a replacement stage 2 automatic for that price, DMC seems to ask between $35,000-45,000 for a car like this.

If you can provide proof that your car was worth more than 31,200 then you could probably get more from the truck driver's insurance company. Did you ever have an appraisal done? Do you have paperwork showing the original price of the car and receipts for work you've done that would increase the value?

I don't think you need to take the insurance company's first offer if it's too low especially if you have documented proof that your car was worth more that that. DMC-CA could possibly help by giving you an appraisal of what the car would have been worth prior to the accident and showing some numbers for recently sold cars similar to yours.

David T
02-25-2014, 03:05 PM
If you can provide proof that your car was worth more than 31,200 then you could probably get more from the truck driver's insurance company. Did you ever have an appraisal done? Do you have paperwork showing the original price of the car and receipts for work you've done that would increase the value?

I don't think you need to take the insurance company's first offer if it's too low especially if you have documented proof that your car was worth more that that. DMC-CA could possibly help by giving you an appraisal of what the car would have been worth prior to the accident and showing some numbers for recently sold cars similar to yours.

Since you have engaged an attorney he should know what to do but in your position I would ask that he file a Claim of Record with your insurance company and then go after the truck's insurance for all costs and damages. If you use YOUR insurance they will limit what they will pay you and subtract the deductible unless they get it from the truck's insurance company. Going against the truck's insurance there is no contract or limits as to what your car is worth. Their obligation is to make you "whole" by replacing the car in like and kind. Do not keep the damaged car, it will cost way too much and take too long. A Salvage Title will make the car worthless anyway. Go to a doctor and have yourself checked out to make sure you did not sustain any injuries. Make sure you account for ALL things in the car including any personal effects, towing, etc. Keep a record of all costs associated with the accident. Get an accident report.

LordFly
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi Thomas,

We have an Ontario owner who has had his car listed for sale for a while now. I believe Gary is out East in the Maritimes and couldn't take his car with him. It is not a stage 2 but is a turbo car. It's an automatic as well. His contact info (Gary O'Connor) is listed on the ODOC website marketplace page. I'm not sure what the current/acceptable price tag will be but it would be perhaps worthwhile to speak to him about it and find out. It's a very nice car and it was the first one I ever got to sit in too!

http://odoc.ca/ODOC/Marketplace.html

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're ok. Even left front fenders are easier to replace than broken bones :)

Jonathan, unless it has sold already, Dave K has a stage 2 car for sale. 5 speed though, not auto.

Domi
02-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Sad story, I hope you'll be able to repair it or drive another DeLorean soon.

jackb
02-25-2014, 03:42 PM
How were you able to get your Delorean on the backlot of Universal to get a picture in front of the clocktower??

NightFlyer
02-25-2014, 03:45 PM
When it comes to determining the replacement value of a wreck, the more paper/proof you have the better, as a legal claim would be premised upon a preponderance of the evidence burden of proof. As others have suggested, get as much paper as you can showing that the value of your care is higher than what the insurance company is currently offering. If you don't have documentation showing the celebrity connection (will.i.am), get it and use it. DON'T rely upon your attorney to put in the leg work on this. The Hagerty Price Guide Report is a good piece of paper to have in negotiating a fair settlement with an insurance company, as their prices are based upon actual auction sales. It currently shows condition 1 cars fetching close to $40,000.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=919041

With a commercial driver/vehicle being the at fault party, you're in the driver's seat. Don't accept a low ball offer. IMHO, the initial offer was at least $6.5k too low.

As far as a replacement car goes, relax and take your time - you'll find a car that's right for you :smile: With the eventual insurance settlement, you could buy a nice D and build your own high performance PRV for it, as opposed to going with a stage II, if performance is what you're after. Eddie G (SEO Motorsports) is accepting commissions to build engines - he's currently doing a wicked VR6 swap for DeLorean03, and an EFI turbo PRV for Lightning. Or, you may decide that you want to do the work yourself. Lots of options available to you with a nice big check :smile:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7884-Turbo-VR6-DeLorean
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8825-5096-restoration

DL4567
02-25-2014, 05:24 PM
How were you able to get your Delorean on the backlot of Universal to get a picture in front of the clocktower??

+1. That is a GREAT picture.

Very sorry to hear about your accident. That is all of our worst fears when taking our cars out. Even though you're dealing with this huge hassle, everything will work out and you'll be happy with a nice DeLorean by the end of it.

Jonathan
02-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Jonathan, unless it has sold already, Dave K has a stage 2 car for sale. 5 speed though, not auto.

Hey, yea, you're right. I remember hearing about him selling his car now that you mention it. Thomas mentioned his future car being stage 2 and an automatic and I thought that the transmission type might trump the engine option (as it would for me too if I was looking). Good to have other options though of course. Thanks for mentioning it.

DeLorean03
02-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Can anyone explain to me how insurance works?

It just seems like everytime one of our cars gets damaged, the insurance company is ready to do anything but - oh, I don't know - what they're supposed to and take care of the accident victim.

I fail to understand how we pay for something that is absolutely mandatory for years on end and then the one time some of us need them to step up - "Oh, I'm sorry, no, we'll do everything we can to make paying the fair sum of your car completely and utterly miserable for you."

I loathe this behavior....

Patrick C
02-25-2014, 06:43 PM
So sorry to see these pictures. Hang in there!

NightFlyer
02-25-2014, 06:54 PM

It just seems like everytime one of our cars gets damaged, the insurance company is ready to do anything but - oh, I don't know - what they're supposed to and take care of the accident victim.

I fail to understand how we pay for something that is absolutely mandatory for years on end and then the one time some of us need them to step up - "Oh, I'm sorry, no, we'll do everything we can to make paying the fair sum of your car completely and utterly miserable for you."

In this case, it's trying to get the opposing insurance company to pay. And in my experience, you can't trust your attorney or your own insurance company to do the leg work and go to bat for you in trying to recover the true (maximum) value of your loss from another party. The more work you do yourself, the better your chances are of recovering a higher amount. To avoid any problems with your own insurance company on a comprehensive claim, a mutual agreed value policy is recommended, as that way, you'll know exactly what you'll get in a payout if your car is ever totaled, and there's nothing for either side to dispute.

Hope that helps :smile:

DeLorean03
02-25-2014, 06:59 PM
So basically....

If someone is at fault, they are at fault. That person's insurance company should pay up.

I can't stand bureaucracy.

thomasuncles
02-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks again everyone. You all are so helpful and it is really great to get your opinions and help in this matter. To answer your question "jackb", I work on the TV show The Voice and we film on the Universal lot. It was fun driving around the clock tower every now and then the past few months. The universal tour buses definitely got a kick out of it ;) My coworkers were all very sad I could not bring my card to our season 6 premiere party yesterday...
The automatic turbo charged Delorean from Canada that was posted does look interesting http://odoc.ca/ODOC/Marketplace.html ,
but I have no experience purchasing and importing out of country vehicles, seems like it could get pricey. Has anyone here imported a vehicle from Canada before?

Thanks, Thomas

David_NYS
02-25-2014, 09:41 PM
So sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to see you are okay though, and that's the most important part. As people have said, you have time. Every one is right, you shouldn't settle for any less than what the replacement value of your car would be.

DMC-CA could possibly help by giving you an appraisal of what the car would have been worth prior to the accident and showing some numbers for recently sold cars similar to yours.

Since DMC-CA did your Stage II upgrade, they'll have all the documentation. I just had a Stage II done at DMC-MW. They're very professional.

No need to rush. It sucks, I know. Take your time though and make that insurance company give you every penny of what your baby was worth. :bigcry:

If you do decide to by a car from Canada, I looked into it; surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be that difficult. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml#Documentation

Again though, take your time. After all you just had an accident.

thomasuncles
02-26-2014, 02:18 AM
Anyone familiar with this DeLorean?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281272170358?forcerRptr=true&item=281272170358&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Going to check it out on Saturday, not too much info in the listing...

NightFlyer
02-26-2014, 06:06 AM
I don't know the car personally, but here are a few things that I noticed from the extremely limited pictures:

- has an aftermarket 160mph speedometer
- non-stock screw on the driver's side of the center console (in line with the front of the bottom of the seat in the picture)
- some kind of after-market red button next to the cigar lighter
- hard to see, but it looks like the ashtray could be the early style, as opposed to the later style
- the 'D' of the 'DMC' logo on the side stripe is connected for some reason

cyberflexx
02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Oh wow.. Glad you are OK.. Sorry about your car. I'd buy it back and use it as a project to turn it into a BTTF clone, just do a little work at a time with it.

About insurance and claims. When my wife was younger she was a vehicle total loss claims adjuster for Nationwide, then on to Sr Level bodily injury claims. Now she owns a Nationwide Insurance Agency and can sell Haggerty and Lloyds of London policies as well. She knows both sides of the fence when dealing with lawyers, properties, sales and yadda yadda.. It's comforting to know that she has all the experience and knowledge in case something would happen when I get my Delorean. I would ask her for some information about the claim but laws vary from state to state and she isn't licensed for CA.

-Jim
Huntington, WV

Jonathan
02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
The automatic turbo charged Delorean from Canada that was posted does look interesting http://odoc.ca/ODOC/Marketplace.html ,but I have no experience purchasing and importing out of country vehicles, seems like it could get pricey. Has anyone here imported a vehicle from Canada before?

If you do decide to by a car from Canada, I looked into it; surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be that difficult. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml#Documentation

You could contact Dave (sdg3205 on here) and ask for his input. He is in Canada and recently sent one of his restoration cars to Florida. Dave or perhaps the new owner could likely tell you what the details are regarding importing a car from Canada to the US.

Dangermouse
02-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Terrible pictures for someone trying to sell "one of the worlds top cars" (- his words)

A low mileage "museum car" as he describes it would make me nervous if I was intending to drive the car a lot. These cars don't like to sit for long periods like that. It had 1700 miles in 1999 and the current owner says he has put on an additional 1400 since he bought it, which must be recently as his title/emissions doesn't appear on the autocheck report, assuming he has smogged/titled it.

virtualchuck
02-26-2014, 09:15 AM

You sir deserve a standing ovation... I just had my regular car totaled the other week. It took the insurance company nearly a week to get back to me to tell me "Sorry you're on your own" after paying them regularly for nearly a decade...

Chuck

thirdmanj
02-26-2014, 01:02 PM

I've been with State Farm ever since I was kid. They've come through for me on two seperate occasions, both of which were my fault. It was a very painless process.

David T
02-26-2014, 09:30 PM
I've been with State Farm ever since I was kid. They've come through for me on two seperate occasions, both of which were my fault. It was a very painless process.

How you are treated is very much up to the circumstances. Which company, where you are, the State laws, how the accident occurred, etc. If you try to deal with your company where the accident was clearly and completely the other party's fault, you will be shortchanged. It will be more of a hassle going to the other party's insurance but in the end you can do better. Your insurance will only pay what your policy requires them to pay minus the deductible. The other party's company must make you "whole", there is no limit unless the State has one by statute. You do not need a lawyer but as long as you have one make him work for his fee. You do not need him to help you make a settlement with your insurance company, they have already made an offer.

dmruschell
02-27-2014, 11:27 PM

That's why I have Agreed Upon Value insurance on all of our 6 cars, 5 of which are classics and some of those classics are daily driven, and insured as such. If there is a claim, there is no negotiation. If the repair estimate exceeds the Agreed Value, then it's totaled and I get a check in the amount listed on the policy. Otherwise, the car is repaired at a shop of my choosing.

David T
02-28-2014, 10:32 AM
That's why I have Agreed Upon Value insurance on all of our 6 cars, 5 of which are classics and some of those classics are daily driven, and insured as such. If there is a claim, there is no negotiation. If the repair estimate exceeds the Agreed Value, then it's totaled and I get a check in the amount listed on the policy. Otherwise, the car is repaired at a shop of my choosing.

"Agreed Value" is ONLY between you and your insurance company. If the car is totaled through no fault of your own and you can catch the other guy and he has insurance (a lot of ands) you might find you can do even better against the other company if you can prove the car is worth more than your agreed value with your insurance company. The other company has the obligation to make you "whole". There is no pre-negotiated limit. Do not forget all of the little things that add up in a hurry. Among them is towing, storage, legal fees, personal items, and rental (if necessary). It will take more work, hassle, and time but the opportunity exists if you want it. All too often we get a car, put a value on it, insure it, and just keep renewing the policy without considering the value of the car has increased. Be alert as to what it can actually cost to replace the car at today's costs when you renew your policy. You may decide it is necessary to increase your "Agreed Value".

dmruschell
02-28-2014, 12:24 PM
"Agreed Value" is ONLY between you and your insurance company. If the car is totaled through no fault of your own and you can catch the other guy and he has insurance (a lot of ands) you might find you can do even better against the other company if you can prove the car is worth more than your agreed value with your insurance company. The other company has the obligation to make you "whole". There is no pre-negotiated limit. Do not forget all of the little things that add up in a hurry. Among them is towing, storage, legal fees, personal items, and rental (if necessary). It will take more work, hassle, and time but the opportunity exists if you want it. All too often we get a car, put a value on it, insure it, and just keep renewing the policy without considering the value of the car has increased. Be alert as to what it can actually cost to replace the car at today's costs when you renew your policy. You may decide it is necessary to increase your "Agreed Value".

That's good advice. After being rear ended in my 61 Corvette I inherited from my dad with an $18,000+ repair, I made sure to have that kind of insurance on all of the cars. Every year, the values of the daily drivers are depreciated, and I call to put them back where they should be. I will say our two DeLoreans are insured for a bit more than the amount the OP mentioned he was receiving, and I will probably raise the amount when my policy is renewed after seeing what he said comparable cars were going for (among other things). The cost of insuring a limited use car for $30k vs $60k is not that much, so it's always good to aim high.

fnzen
02-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Thomas so sad that this happened to you and the Delo. I know how much you loved the car.

Dont worry we will build you up another one !!!

Don