PDA

View Full Version : General Problem starting Time Machine engine. Video links. Any help would be awesome

zimvsdib
02-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Hi Guys,
I have an issue with my Time Machine. I cannot get it to start.
I was experiencing some problems with acceleration last time i drove it. It felt a bit fuel starved.
So i tried to start up and now its just turning over and no start.

I added some new parts to begin a tune up and still no luck.
Replaced Alternator, spark plugs, rotor and distributor cap, coil, spark plug wires.

So I pulled a few injectors and took some video. Yes, the injectors look filthy and could use a good cleaning BUT with the rpm relay jumped the squirt pretty well.

RPM relay jumped, fuel will spray continuously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRhOBNWsbHQ

That video is embedded. The others are links (only one embedded video allowed)
Note: While turning over the air sensor plate opens slightly. Spark is present! I tested that as well with the screwdriver on the block and still no fire. What is up?

So i pulled the an injector while trying to start and this is what happened.
Injectors 1 and 2 pulled. RPM relay plugged in and engine turning over, no start.
video links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14oEILjh-ZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZipuGnyYCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt8Rpbcv37s

What do you guys think about this? Seems a bit strange that there isn't much spray until i stop turning the key. Normal? So if i have gas and spark why no fire? Air? I'm pretty sure i don't have any major vacuum leaks but i will double check all vacuum connections tomorrow. I'm thinking this might be fuel distributor problem but im really wondering what you guys think after all this investigation. Thank you in advance for any help on this!

Dash camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFp6O1URXo

Jonathan
02-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Is your battery fully charged? If you have a charger/tender, perhaps take the battery out of the car and let it charge back up to full capacity overnight? Then reinstall it in the morning and try again to start the car.

It might not have been your initial problem, but sometimes multiple engine starting trials can suck a lot of juice out of your battery. Just a thought after looking at your dash camera and not seeing your voltage gauge doing much.

If it was the problem, it might point to something with the alternator or charging system. With the Time Machine modifications though, you likely have a different battery/power system that has unique power drains potentially.

Michael
02-27-2014, 08:43 AM
First how was the car acting when it was last running? You said it had acceleration problems...was there a miss or dead cylinder(s)? Was it sluggish like it had no power?
Blindingly replacing parts like the rotor and coil, etc. can make things hard because if you don't do it 100% correctly or if you have a defective part, then you have 2 things wrong and the chances of finding the real problem that much harder.

Do you have the tech manuals? There is a procedure to Check everything step by step in the ignition system using a multi meter. I recently had a non start like yours and once I determined it was ignition related I started testing. My friend started tracing the wiring schematic and found the problem quite easily...The coil feed wire from the control module came unplugged.

You should really dertimine for sure if your are getting spark and/or fire before replacing anything else. Once that has been determined then we can start testing...had I known the coil plug was a common problem I would have checked that first and saved myself an hour or so of diagnostic time....your problem may just be as simple as a fuel filter or lose vacuum line.

EDIT. Just re read your post and I missed the part where you said spark was present.

zimvsdib
02-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Is your battery fully charged?
If it was the problem, it might point to something with the alternator or charging system. With the Time Machine modifications though, you likely have a different battery/power system that has unique power drains potentially.

Yes. I have 2 interstate green top batteries with 700 cold cranking amps on a charger so i can swap them after one show signs of any power loss. Yes testing this stuff does drain these batteries after a while.
That battery plus my upgraded 40,000 volt coil and custom 8.5 MM spark plugs should be a pretty solid power setup. None of my time machine components are connected to the cars battery. I have an additional battery for that.

zimvsdib
02-27-2014, 12:58 PM
First how was the car acting when it was last running? You said it had acceleration problems...was there a miss or dead cylinder(s)? Was it sluggish like it had no power?
Blindingly replacing parts like the rotor and coil, etc. can make things hard because if you don't do it 100% correctly or if you have a defective part, then you have 2 things wrong and the chances of finding the real problem that much harder. ...your problem may just be as simple as a fuel filter or lose vacuum line.

So here is a more detailed account of the symptoms last time i drove. It was running good but at times when i pressed the pedal for acceleration it wasn't there, felt like it could just die on me. I would quickly pump the pedal to give more gas and suddenly it revved up again and i could accelerate. After that, the next time i tried starting it (it didn't start) i smelt a lot of unburned fuel and some fuel sprayed out the exhaust pipe as it tried to start. Rough firing happened and no start.
Next time, my friend and I were able to start the car, very rough start. It sounded like it wasn't firing all cylinders and we had to keep revving it to keep it going for a bit. We noticed the cat was glowing red(i assumed because a bunch of unburned fuel was igniting in there) and we turned it off.
After that i changed the plugs and all the other components i had on hand.
I realize what you mean about blind part change. It does add an unknown factor when trying to track this down. I honestly thought it could have been the rotor not making contact causing some plugs not to fire or the plugs themselves. My alternator was original and I thought it could have been another contributor.
no luck...
Whatthis about the fuel filter? how could that fail an engine start? Mine's probably pretty old. Yes maybe vacuum leak but im going to check that today.
My friend has all the tech manuals, that sounds like a good idea to check the entire ignition system electrically but i do have spark. thank you for the advice.

zimvsdib
02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
in the linked videos when the car is turning over, does this injector spray look normal to you? Why does it shoot so much fuel after the car stops turning over?

Michael
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Sounds like a fuel problem...Most likely anyway. Just to rule out the easy stuff...make sure you are not dumping fuel out anywhere. The glowing cat however is a sign that you are running extremely rich. Definitely check for vacuum leaks...it still could be a timing issue.

hmcelraft
03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
That red cat issue is common when the an engine start is done with a swap of the wires from the fuel pressure control valve and the cold start valve and the wires are not soon swapped back. The cold start valve is always activated and dumping extra fuel into the engine. If these wires are crossed that is a obvious issue. However, I would suspect that you have either a pressure control issue or a stuck throttle plate. Do you have any varnish build up issues, etc.? The throttle plate plunger has been known to get sticky. Is there any obstruction that would cause the pressure plate to not return completely to it's closed position?

I would focus on possible fuel issues first.

David T
03-02-2014, 02:31 PM
That red cat issue is common when the an engine start is done with a swap of the wires from the fuel pressure control valve and the cold start valve and the wires are not soon swapped back. The cold start valve is always activated and dumping extra fuel into the engine. If these wires are crossed that is a obvious issue. However, I would suspect that you have either a pressure control issue or a stuck throttle plate. Do you have any varnish build up issues, etc.? The throttle plate plunger has been known to get sticky. Is there any obstruction that would cause the pressure plate to not return completely to it's closed position?

I would focus on possible fuel issues first.

Another common cause of a glowing cat is a stuck fuel plunger, especially in a car that was sitting for a long time.

Kenny_Z
03-02-2014, 03:21 PM
I had that lack of throttle response and stalling on Red. It was two problems on mine. One, the ignition coil wire was backing out and causing intermittent spark. Secondly my engine and battery grounds were bad. I ran an extra ground between the engine and the frame and then a better ground from the battery to the transmission. The ground test should be easy. Just get the black side of a jumper cable and hook it from the engine or transmission to the negative on the battery. If it starts the car then you know what to fix.