PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some design help - for a good cause!

MML
02-28-2014, 05:37 AM
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help with a graphic design job. Here's the backstory:

My workplace is taking part in a national campaign to raise funds for cancer charities. It's called "Shave or Dye" and it involves the shaving or dyeing of hair in order to raise money. The campaign was started by a national radio station over here in Ireland, called Today FM ( http://www.todayfm.com/shaveordye2014 ).

As St Patrick's day is coming up soon, they want to enter a BTTF themed float in the local parade to raise awareness.

The plan is to put my Delorean on a flatbed lorry, have people dressed as the Doc and Marty, and also everyone else with their dyed hair in 80's / historical clothing.They'll have songs like 'The power of love' and 'Johnny B Goode' playing over speakers, etc.

There will be banners saying “Join the fight... for a cancer free future" (see what they did there?) hanging either side of the lorry. I want to have the banners in the BTTF font. We're also planning of printing a screengrab of the clock tower to hang up behind the car, a smoke machine, etc.
We're trying to keep costs to a minimum if possible as it's for charity, so I hate to ask, is anyone proficient with with Photoshop and Illustrator willing to donate a couple of hours of their time?

It's fairly straightforward, just the above phrase, coloured in with the red/yellow gradient like the film poster, set against a dark background. I have a good font that I want to use, I just don't have the graphic design skills :-/ It would need to be in a format that can be scaled up for printing.

This is a good tutorial I was hoping to follow but I don't have the programs needed:
http://davidocchino.com/tutorials/back-to-the-future-titles-photoshop-tutorial.html
and this is a quick and crap mockup of what I need, colour isn't right:
http://imgur.com/xKmDBFU

If anyone would be willing to help out, please let me know! It's for a great cause!

Thanks in advance.
Martin

Michael
02-28-2014, 08:02 AM
PM sent.

I don't have photoshop so if someone can do this please jump in. From the tutorial it looks pretty easy but I use another (read cheap) Paintshop along with Sketchbook Pro so I don't know how much text manipulation freedom I have. I may have to do a lot by hand and I'm not sure if I can rastorize artwork.

I really need to get CS5 or 6. I don't do this type of stuff professionally so I have no use for it but Adobe seems to be the benchmark so it can't hurt to know how to use it.

Michael Babb
02-28-2014, 08:20 AM
I have Photoshop and am happy to give this a try. . .For scaling a vector based program would actually be better. If the company that will do the printing can use Photoshop PSD files then we may be able to keep the file size manageable if it is only text and a black background. If not, you have to make the image the size it will be printed and it can get to be pretty big.

Do you know what the dimensions are that you need?

Michael Babb
02-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Here is what I have. taking the same gray background and adding the Red to yellow to red gradient on the text.

I would really like to add some perspective to it (larger on the left and smaller on the right), but that would require rasterizing the text, and then it would not be able to scale properly. I can do a full sized image, and then we can add that effect, but will make the image much bigger (215 cm x 50 cm = 110MB). Image would look more like this:

MML
02-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Sorry, I was away for a bit there, but I'm back from work now!
Wow, great to get two volunteers! Would you both like to take a stab at it?

Michael B - I have those font files here - I'll email them very shortly!

MML
02-28-2014, 01:01 PM
PS. you hit the nail on the head with that second one... it's awesome!

Michael
02-28-2014, 01:06 PM
I would be happy to step up if there were no other volunteers but Mike B definitely has a better grasp on the logistics than i do. As far as graphic artists go I'm pretty weak...I have the artist part down but I'm lacking in the graphic part.

Michael Babb
02-28-2014, 01:28 PM
I have the artist part down but I'm lacking in the graphic part.

Funny, this is the opposite for me. I can Photoshop stuff, but cannot even do stick figures if given paper and a pencil. ;)

MML
02-28-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm ashamed at myself for not being able to do it, I'm a CAD guy, so you'd think I should have some sort of experience at this kind of thing! I really need to study up on it.

Michael - thanks for stepping up anyway, I'm sure you would have nailed it!

Michael B - typing up an email here now, trying to work out the overall final size! Stay tuned....

MML
03-01-2014, 05:51 PM
I just had to post this. This is awesome. A huge thanks must go to Michael B for doing it!

http://i.imgur.com/hcadBs8.png