PDA

View Full Version : I created a DeLorean Owners closed Facebook group.

jgarland79
03-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Go here to request access to the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/217441318453880/

rdarlington
03-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Cool.

Dangermouse
03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
How do you prove you are an owner?

cyberflexx
03-05-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm in the process of becoming an owner. More details next week though. :D

jgarland79
03-05-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm a member of a very successful Facebook group for roller derby photographers. Members police themselves pretty well in the group and everyone is generally well behaved. I hope to be able to accomplish the same here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DavidProehl
03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Sounds cool, join request sent.

DMCVegas
03-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Quick question:

Why?

thirdmanj
03-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Quick question:

Why?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/sere6upu.jpg

(Sorry, I'm just loving this one.)

Kane
03-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I joined, but the more I think of it I also wonder why this is a thing. There are already several FB groups to join for DeLorean info and this forum has much more historical documentation that that group ever could.

rdarlington
03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I suspect that the plan is to offer a more social side of this whole DeLorean ownership thing. DMCTalk.org is awesome but I find myself annoyed by all the off-topic stuff so I pretty much dropped off for a couple months. But on FB, it's given that nothing is ever on topic. It's more of a meeting place for like minded folks to BS about whatever, including our cars. I don't want to talk for Jason -this is just my guess at a good reason to do this. I for one jumped at it, but it also helps that I know him on FB already (and not here).

-Bob

Kane
03-06-2014, 06:26 PM
I suspect that the plan is to offer a more social side of this whole DeLorean ownership thing. DMCTalk.org is awesome but I find myself annoyed by all the off-topic stuff so I pretty much dropped off for a couple months. But on FB, it's given that nothing is ever on topic.

"I hate how this place has all these off-topic conversations so I can't wait to join a group that is always off-topic"

DashEight
03-06-2014, 08:15 PM
I wish you luck. I have left most Facebook clubs for the cars I own. In my experience, The only ones that are not trolled all the time are the foreign ones. It would be nice if these groups would act like a group of people meeting at the pub in person to talk about similar interests. But they often don't. I wonder: "if people troll up topics they enjoy and spend time, money, and free brainspace on...how do they treat things they do not like?" Maybe it is like a pub in that you only hear the loudest and rowdy people... Closed groups have more promise..it's just so odd that somethings that are ment to bring people together, do the opposite equally effectively.

thirdmanj
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I wish you luck. I have left most Facebook clubs for the cars I own. In my experience, The only ones that are not trolled all the time are the foreign ones. It would be nice if these groups would act like a group of people meeting at the pub in person to talk about similar interests. But they often don't. I wonder: "if people troll up topics they enjoy and spend time, money, and free brainspace on...how do they treat things they do not like?" Maybe it is like a pub in that you only hear the loudest and rowdy people... Closed groups have more promise..it's just so odd that somethings that are ment to bring people together, do the opposite equally effectively.

You seem like such a humorless person.

Nicholas R
03-06-2014, 09:39 PM
I remember joining the very first DeLorean owners group on Facebook in 2005. Patrick C verified my ownership via VIN, transmission, and interior color. It's actually how we met when we realized we were only 15 minutes from one another. Since then I've been a member of most FB Delorean groups. Honestly I usually don't post or browse them very much. The only one I often look at is the regional one (DCO). I guess we'll see with this one.

rdarlington
03-06-2014, 11:27 PM
"I hate how this place has all these off-topic conversations so I can't wait to join a group that is always off-topic"

I'm HERE specifically for the tech side.

-Bob

DashEight
03-07-2014, 03:01 AM
You seem like such a humorless person.

My posts might make it seem that way because of the serious tone in them. I just miss the groups of car guys and the way we all used to treat each other when the internets were new. It was like we all walked into the new world and were just happy to find others that had the same interest in things. Holy hell! We had a new support system for tech and parts! It was great! No need to second guess that project next door that you didn’t buy because you worried the parts would be hard to find...Life was good. Buy away! There is a new network that is just as jazzed to see progress. People started the crazy engine swaps into what ever car and it seemed that the largest concern was an idea of putting an engine in a car that it never came in and how it would affect the end values. We'd all hit the subscribe buttons and follow along on the awesome threads. So when did all the good stuff get drowned out if not replaced by mean spirited humor, one ups-manship, pot shooting, or kicking someone on the way out? How does the community gain from it? Does it really make anyones ordinary life better?

I went to the Lotus Car Club meet tonight and had beers, fish, and chips with a bunch of the guys in the club. We all inquired how each other had been and how the cars are coming along. I joked about my lack of progress in most of my deep freeze projects but rolled out my plan on how I wasn’t going to lead a summer drive of 20 lotus cars for the club in my jeep again like I had last year. We talked a little about Evans Waterless Coolant and the market for cars that could be imported from Europe, I explained Toby TABS to the group because most of us if not all have met Toby in person and have TABS on our Lotus Cars... At no time did I get the idea that anyone was made angry and no one had gotten up to head to the door. It was pleasant and I'm sure ALL the others enjoyed it also. There was light ribbing but it was all in friendly sprit. Why is it not possible to have similar experiences online?

To sum it up, it’s the overall tone in online correspondence now a days. I am just tired of seeing people head for the "door" because it gets out of hand. I’m sure we’d all get along in person. Many times I read that “I met so and so in person and they were pretty cool!” That’s awesome! Why on earth would anyone allow themselves to be thought of otherwise from their online conduct? When was the last time someone online said: “You know what? That might have been over the line and it was in no way intended to be as expensive as it turned out to be. I’m sorry.” Too often it just keeps going beyond the point of no return. We might need that guy who grabbed his jacket and headed out. He’s one of the guys that won’t be telling us that our car came with a Chevy motor, or because our car is stainless, it’s the heaviest car ever produced in the history of the world…That guy was one of us.
-P

thirdmanj
03-07-2014, 05:44 AM
My posts might make it seem that way because of the serious tone in them. I just miss the groups of car guys and the way we all used to treat each other when the internets were new. It was like we all walked into the new world and were just happy to find others that had the same interest in things. Holy hell! We had a new support system for tech and parts! It was great! No need to second guess that project next door that you didn’t buy because you worried the parts would be hard to find...Life was good. Buy away! There is a new network that is just as jazzed to see progress. People started the crazy engine swaps into what ever car and it seemed that the largest concern was an idea of putting an engine in a car that it never came in and how it would affect the end values. We'd all hit the subscribe buttons and follow along on the awesome threads. So when did all the good stuff get drowned out if not replaced by mean spirited humor, one ups-manship, pot shooting, or kicking someone on the way out? How does the community gain from it? Does it really make anyones ordinary life better?

I went to the Lotus Car Club meet tonight and had beers, fish, and chips with a bunch of the guys in the club. We all inquired how each other had been and how the cars are coming along. I joked about my lack of progress in most of my deep freeze projects but rolled out my plan on how I wasn’t going to lead a summer drive of 20 lotus cars for the club in my jeep again like I had last year. We talked a little about Evans Waterless Coolant and the market for cars that could be imported from Europe, I explained Toby TABS to the group because most of us if not all have met Toby in person and have TABS on our Lotus Cars... At no time did I get the idea that anyone was made angry and no one had gotten up to head to the door. It was pleasant and I'm sure ALL the others enjoyed it also. There was light ribbing but it was all in friendly sprit. Why is it not possible to have similar experiences online?

To sum it up, it’s the overall tone in online correspondence now a days. I am just tired of seeing people head for the "door" because it gets out of hand. I’m sure we’d all get along in person. Many times I read that “I met so and so in person and they were pretty cool!” That’s awesome! Why on earth would anyone allow themselves to be thought of otherwise from their online conduct? When was the last time someone online said: “You know what? That might have been over the line and it was in no way intended to be as expensive as it turned out to be. I’m sorry.” Too often it just keeps going beyond the point of no return. We might need that guy who grabbed his jacket and headed out. He’s one of the guys that won’t be telling us that our car came with a Chevy motor, or because our car is stainless, it’s the heaviest car ever produced in the history of the world…That guy was one of us.
-P

All people are different. We all have different definitions where humor is concerned. If you're referring to the Lou incident, that was "light ribbing" as you call it. C'mon, smiley faces with legs kicking each other in the nuts, what could be lighter than that? Either Lou is unfamiliar with the subtleties of the internet, or he was looking for an excuse to say "screw you guys, I'm going home." We get reposts all the time on this forum and of the forums I've seen the members of this one in particular handle it the best. Other car forums out there get downright nasty. But show weakness or sensitivity, and people (not just on the internet) will descend upon it like rabid chihuahuas.

Tillsy
03-07-2014, 06:21 AM
The funny thing is that, technically, the original emoticon in question was actually in reply to someone else's post not his!

Not to mention the entire reason emoticons were invented are to provide a "fun", "sarcastic", and/or "humorous" way to convey a message... even an "up yours" emoticon would be a sarcastic up yours...

So given this, how does nothing more than an emoticon posted in reply to someone else cause a person to launch into a rage? And for said person to then get so angry at everyone's shock and disbelief that he then loses all control of his temper over it?

I've been using (and in some cases running and moderating) forums for nearly 20 years now and while I've seen some pretty crazy stuff I have never seen anything like that before...

DMCVegas
03-07-2014, 08:59 AM
All people are different. We all have different definitions where humor is concerned. If you're referring to the Lou incident, that was "light ribbing" as you call it. C'mon, smiley faces with legs kicking each other in the nuts, what could be lighter than that? Either Lou is unfamiliar with the subtleties of the internet, or he was looking for an excuse to say "screw you guys, I'm going home." We get reposts all the time on this forum and of the forums I've seen the members of this one in particular handle it the best. Other car forums out there get downright nasty. But show weakness or sensitivity, and people (not just on the internet) will descend upon it like rabid chihuahuas.

Humor is definitely different depending upon the individual, be it online or real life. Like this guy right here. He ribs a bit. Me, I usually find relevant pictures. Ie. right now he has shown a moment of sensitivity, so I'm gonna play the rabid chihuahua card as such:

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cards/1375205311.png

My posts might make it seem that way because of the serious tone in them. I just miss the groups of car guys and the way we all used to treat each other when the internets were new.

The world itself has changed on that. It's like politics in the media. No matter what side you're on, you're always supposed to be angry and never compromise. At least that's what the talk show hosts on both sides have been arguing, because the more bitter they keep you, the more you watch/listen to them and sit through all of their commercials so they can profit off of your anger. Unfortunately it would appear this attitude has spilled over into everyday life more and more. I've always loved cars, and since I was a child I always looked at the backs of them on the freeway and used to read the bumper stickers. I can tell you right now that I have NEVER seen so many political bumper stickers on cars as I have in the past 14 years, and it just gets worse and worse. The humorous stuff is long gone, and it's all pick a side and join the battle.

As for the Facebook group... Myself, I was VERY hesitant to come over to the DMCTalk boards originally because it just seemed like year ANOTHER splintered faction of the DeLorean community. DMC Forum was the first Yahoo! group that split and I joined it, and I remember a certain person way out in North Carolina that helped create all of those splinter groups for their own little virtual fiefdoms. The more things change.... Anyways, later on I connected with a couple of DeLorean owners of Facebook, and checked out one group. And that was fine until one of the members started posting political and religious crap. I just can't do that crap. Even if I agree with you, I don't want to hear that noise. And that's my big objection to Facebook groups personally. That's not to say that I'm spiteful and because I choose not to participate that I want it to fail. If it works out, sure, I'll join. But I'm just a little socialed-out right now on everything.

Rich_NYS
03-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Three best comments I've seen:

Too often it just keeps going beyond the point of no return. We might need that guy who grabbed his jacket and headed out. He’s one of the guys that won’t be telling us that our car came with a Chevy motor, or because our car is stainless, it’s the heaviest car ever produced in the history of the world…That guy was one of us. -P

I recently mentioned to a friend that ya never know what you don't know about someone. The next Chris Nicholson could show up here and you might not know it at first....would be a shame to have someone like that get run off early on. I don't understand the motive for screwing with people you don't know enough about.

Good stuff right there....especially the last sentence. I carry a man card, and no apologizes for that.

So given this, how does nothing more than an emoticon posted in reply to someone else cause a person to launch into a rage? And for said person to then get so angry at everyone's shock and disbelief that he then loses all control of his temper over it?

I've been using (and in some cases running and moderating) forums for nearly 20 years now and while I've seen some pretty crazy stuff I have never seen anything like that before...

A voice of reason.....almost always good to have on hand.

Also:

The funny thing is that, technically, the original emoticon in question was actually in reply to someone else's post not his!

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who noticed that....

thirdmanj
03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cards/1375205311.png

Another tremendous essay/rant from Lord Robert. ;) I see your Rabid Chiwawa and raise you...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/2abumyme.jpg

DMCVegas
03-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Another tremendous essay/rant from Lord Robert. ;) I see your Rabid Chiwawa and raise you...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/2abumyme.jpg

Ahh! You have a rapist wit!

I counter!
http://svg.xs4all.nl/photos/mp/origineel/Holy_Hand_Grenade_of_Antioch.jpg

thirdmanj
03-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Ahh! You have a rapist wit!

I counter!
http://svg.xs4all.nl/photos/mp/origineel/Holy_Hand_Grenade_of_Antioch.jpg

I have you, sir!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/hyrema6y.jpg

DMCVegas
03-07-2014, 12:18 PM
I have you, sir!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/hyrema6y.jpg

DAMN! I was not expecting that...

thirdmanj
03-07-2014, 12:26 PM
DAMN! I was not expecting that...

Give up so soon? I was expecting you to go Black Knight on me.

DMCVegas
03-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Give up so soon? I was expecting you to go Black Knight on me.

And I was expecting YOU to toss out the Spanish Inquisition!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/272/923/18b.jpg

DashEight
03-07-2014, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=thirdmanj;136200] If you're referring to the Lou incident QUOTE]

No, I wasn't referring to the Lou incident. I can see why that would be the first thing to come to mind. I had been a member of a fair amount of car groups over the years on Facebook and online forums and have deleted memberships to almost all of them. I recently dropped out of the Toyota Facebook 4AGE group because of the riff-raff. I had been a member there since opening day. I still drive a Corolla GTS and have a Toyota 4AGE in my Lotus Europa. It sucked that everything went to garbage. On Febuary 1st this year the founder of the group was compelled to post this: (I think it applies to all online groups, automotive or not.)

"To all visitors, members, and friends of Club4AG

Notice:

Club4AG welcomes "newbies"
We tolerate and help "slow-learners"
We befriend "enthusiasts"
We appreciate the inputs of "Experts"
We treasure the knowledge of "Professionals"
We cherish the accomplishments of "champions"
and we collectively do our very best to be concise, positive, patient, and respectful.

WE DO NOT:
Tolerate smart-ass, insults, jokes of bad tastes, cussing, excessive crassness, attacks and antagonism to other enthusiasts of various cars, marques, or individuals. We don't partake in meaningless arguments that benefit no one.

This is all I ask, and have asked for the last 15 years at Club4AG.
All of your friends, my friends, and I, have spent half of my lifetime, caring and nurturing this community, and it's cost me more than what I can enumerate in hours and dollars.

Please understand this.
I appreciate ALL of your collective respect for members and visitors alike.

With deepest sincere appreciation for all of you.

Moto Miwa,
Founder, Club4AG"

Most of the above statement used to go without saying, or so I thought. -P

NightFlyer
03-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Most of the above statement used to go without saying, or so I thought. -P

:thumbup:

DMCVegas
03-07-2014, 02:41 PM
And I would agree with everything here except this line:

WE DO NOT:
Tolerate smart-ass, insults, jokes of bad tastes, cussing, excessive crassness, attacks and antagonism to other enthusiasts of various cars, marques, or individuals. We don't partake in meaningless arguments that benefit no one.

The antagonism being the exception, yes, but the rest of it I can do without. And again the reason is because this section here is where we let off steam. But more than that, we expand into topics that also help push us forward. Like the whole carburetor thing. No one was against carbureting cars. The problem was the consistent antagonizing of people in the process, but many people including myself were actually open to the idea. As such carburetion has been a touchy topic when it really shouldn't be. And "bad tastes"? That's a dangerous catch-all that's open to interpretation. Which of course is why we have moderators to moderate said discussions.

Even so, I think that lots of the banter and what not here is actually beneficial. No, we might not have viable technical information that comes from a discussion of memes and obscure references. But what we do get is more personal social interaction between us that helps build bonds up.

rdarlington
03-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Aaaaand this thread just went downhill. I expect more from DMCTalk. Perhaps for a more humor filled forum you guys should check out a particular Facebook group...

:lol:

Jonathan
03-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Mentioned a couple times in various places... the question of how or why can't online forums, pages or interactions be more like they are in the pub or real life?

To me it is simple... because what happens online is not real life.

Emoticons and sarcasm fonts can't replace reading body language or a grin or change in eye contact or any number of other things. If you have the use of a backspace button while you are "communicating" it has no similarities to the real world.

Not to mention the lack of consequences... online that is. In the real world though very little of the nonsense that goes on online would be tolerated. Funny enough to see once in a while someone's online persona show up at a workplace and moderator is replaced by manager and getting "banned" is replaced by getting fired.

rdarlington
03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I've been on various online chat systems since the 80s so I feel quite differently than you. Get a couple decades practice in and you might feel differently.

Dangermouse
03-11-2014, 11:26 PM
I am genuinely curious. Why would, or could, an owner be more sociable, or funny, on a FB page than in the Open Discussion section of this forum. Most people here are owners, so you would end up with the same audience in either place?

I have seen other forums what have a giant "whatever goes" thread where members can vent, ask obscure questions, etc, etc, often with 10s of thousands if posts. Should we have one here.

rdarlington
03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
I think the answer to that is intuitively obvious to some. Perhaps not so for others. If it's not for you, well then it's not for you.

Dangermouse
03-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks Bob, that's very helpful.

Michael
03-12-2014, 12:15 AM
I am genuinely curious. Why would, or could, an owner be more sociable, or funny, on a FB page than in the Open Discussion section of this forum. Most people here are owners, so you would end up with the same audience in either place?

I have seen other forums what have a giant "whatever goes" thread where members can vent, ask obscure questions, etc, etc, often with 10s of thousands if posts. Should we have one here.

I have been tempted to start a v-bulletin based site just for this. It would be called "DeloreanpoliticalTalk" or DMCPolitics, or OffTopicDeLoreans or something along those lines. Anything to fill the gap left here.

Dangermouse
03-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Surely DMCToday is open for that business?

I guess I didn't get that this FB page was for political stuff.

Jonathan
03-12-2014, 11:08 AM
You know, on second thought, maybe the online world IS a lot more like real life than I thought it was.

If the idea is why we don't all understand each other's sense of humor, have the same opinions on politics, car repairs, or people, or why sometimes we can't be civil with each other, this IS what we see out in the real world.

I don't know of a lot of pubs, workplaces, club meetings, sports leagues or family gatherings where everyone is on the same page with every subject. Shoot, I can think of some friends or family that know exactly where your sense of humor is coming from yet others wouldn't understand what the joke is to a "Farside" cartoon if you explained it five times to them. And everyone getting along? We know that doesn't happen in the real world either.

That advice I heard again recently of just ignore it if you don't agree is good here and out on the street. Like Dale Carnegie said 75 years ago, the only sure fire way to win an argument is to avoid it.

Rich_NYS
03-13-2014, 08:50 AM
You know, on second thought, maybe the online world IS a lot more like real life than I thought it was.

If the idea is why we don't all understand each other's sense of humor, have the same opinions on politics, car repairs, or people, or why sometimes we can't be civil with each other, this IS what we see out in the real world.

I don't know of a lot of pubs, workplaces, club meetings, sports leagues or family gatherings where everyone is on the same page with every subject. Shoot, I can think of some friends or family that know exactly where your sense of humor is coming from yet others wouldn't understand what the joke is to a "Farside" cartoon if you explained it five times to them. And everyone getting along? We know that doesn't happen in the real world either.

That advice I heard again recently of just ignore it if you don't agree is good here and out on the street. Like Dale Carnegie said 75 years ago, the only sure fire way to win an argument is to avoid it.

:werd: