PDA

View Full Version : Gawker side swipes DeLorean

Michael
03-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Just another case of people more worried about getting a picture of your car than driving. I don't know any thing about this other than what the video shows but it looks like a hit and run.

embedding not working so here is the link http://youtu.be/G9hiUTg7ROc

Dangermouse
03-17-2014, 08:52 AM
guy just took off.

Need Aussie input

Jonathan
03-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Brutal. And people wonder why when you tell them driving the car is a little nerve wracking at times.

After seeing this video, I searched in YouTube for "DeLorean sighting" and was a little dumbfounded at what I saw. This combination of people distracted with the smartphones in their crotches AND the ones distracted by our cars trying to look or get a picture with their smartphones and it won't surprise me to hear of many more fenders needing stainless repair or worse.

David_NYS
03-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Omg! I don't know what to say! What a fool!

DMCMW Dave
03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
We heard later that the guy stopped. There was a police car following the car with the camera.

pezzonovante88
03-17-2014, 02:43 PM
The more I see this stuff, the more it makes me afraid to drive the D.

JohnZ
03-17-2014, 02:43 PM
What about the Delorean? I can't see really clearly if the cars touched each other...

BTTF-1
03-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Sooo rare for there to be justice.

Normally they just run like the pieces of "weenie shit" they emulate.

Ed :bash::bash::tantrum::tantrum::bash::bash:

Domi
03-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Scary video! Always dangerous when people are taking pictures of your car while driving and that's the proof.
Can't believe the guy tried to get away... Fortunately for the DeLorean owner the police was there in time...

mluder
03-17-2014, 04:39 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've almost had this happen to me. The second most common occurrence is the car next to me almost rear-ending the car in front of it because they're looking at me.

Cheers
Steven

Jonathan
03-17-2014, 05:53 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've almost had this happen to me. The second most common occurrence is the car next to me almost rear-ending the car in front of it because they're looking at me.

Cheers
Steven

It might be a function of less "2 lanes in each direction" type roads in my area, but I get more of the guy driving 3 inches from my rear bumper fumbling over his steering wheel with his cell phone camera trying to get the photo for his Facebook/Twitter followers than anything else. I don't know exactly what the solution is as the "brakes of doom" is only going to leave me trying to get my engine pulleys out from being crammed into the muffler so that won't work as a deterrent.

I often slow down and pull over when there is a place to do so yet some of these bafoons don't get it even then and sometimes stop with you like you did it to show them your car or something. I hate to say it, but Pezzo made a good point, my car also stays parked in the garage a lot more than I would like it to because of the fear of me being next to show up in a "got crunched" video.

Brisfx
03-17-2014, 09:05 PM
That happened on our Coffs Harbour weekend here in Australia. We had a meet for Queensland and New South Wales drivers. About a 5 hour drive to get there for Queensland drivers and around 6 hours for New South Wales. The incident involved one of the New South Wales owners, surprisingly only 2 small dings on the rear wheel arch, enough to spoil the trip though.

Gary Weaver II
03-18-2014, 10:03 AM
I've had this nearly happen quite a few times in the BTTF-D. One of the main reasons I decided to get rid of it.

We had a mechanical issue one time with the fuel pump and pulled over to work on it. I'm setting there with the front all diassembled, the vents up, and stuff strewn everywhere. Someone pulls up behind us - not to help - but to ask if he can sit in it to take pictures. I nearly lost it right then and there.

I swear even if these things were on fire people would still want to sit in them for pics.

-Gary

Dangermouse
03-18-2014, 10:43 AM

I swear even if these things were on fire people would still want to sit in them for pics.

-Gary

Reminds me of this video of a soccer fan reaching for his camera rather than helping the injured player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFEWnhT3iY

thirdmanj
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Reminds me of this video of a soccer fan reaching for his camera rather than helping the injured player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFEWnhT3iY

Maybe he couldn't stand up because he was disabled, confined to a wheel chair or something. He is in the front right?
Edit: Meh, upon closer inspection he does look to be in a regular seat. Of course he's so damn fat it's hard to tell.

mr2nut123
03-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Cheers
Steven

I've had two cars now go into the back of the car next to me at lights. Thankfully it wasn't the D, but I've completely fallen out of love of my D due to this. It happens on every drive..

mr2nut123
03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
I've had this nearly happen quite a few times in the BTTF-D. One of the main reasons I decided to get rid of it.

We had a mechanical issue one time with the fuel pump and pulled over to work on it. I'm setting there with the front all diassembled, the vents up, and stuff strewn everywhere. Someone pulls up behind us - not to help - but to ask if he can sit in it to take pictures. I nearly lost it right then and there.

-Gary

With you on that Gary. Just sold my replica with this being one of the main reasons. There's too many thickos on the roads.

I can imagine how furious you were with this, it's hardly a nice situation to be in to begin with.

RIUM+
03-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Apparently the driver has a medical condition & had a seizure, which is why you see him drift off the road then over-correct. "Apparently", according to the statement they made to the police. :rolleyes1:

I've got plenty of photos from our gathering in Coffs Harbour & I'll post them in a new thread when they're all finished, but here's what the damage to this car looked like. I'm honestly surprised that this was all it received, the situation could've been MUCH worse at those speeds.

Click for large version
http://www.riumplus.com/delorean/gg14/DSC00369c.jpg (http://www.riumplus.com/delorean/gg14/DSC00369c.jpg)

DMCMW Dave
03-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Apparently the driver has a medical condition & had a seizure, which is why you see him drift off the road then over-correct. "Apparently", according to the statement they made to the police. :rolleyes1:

Like he was trying to seize his camera.

OverlandMan
03-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Apparently the driver has a medical condition & had a seizure, which is why you see him drift off the road then over-correct.

Not sure how they do it down under but here in the Texas, that kind of medical condition prevents *most* people from obtaining/maintaining a drivers license.

Glad to see it was *minimal* damage and everyone was ok.

Michael
03-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Not sure how they do it down under but here in the Texas, that kind of medical condition prevents *most* people from obtaining/maintaining a drivers license.

Glad to see it was *minimal* damage and everyone was ok.

My senses tell me this was a "looky loo" moment and nothing more. If he did indeed have a seizure then his license should be suspended until it's 100% taken care of. Had there been a cyclist or a motorcyclist around him when this happened we could have easily witnessed a fatality. If he was a complete tool and just made up a medical excuse to remove the blame from himself then I could think of no better poetic justice then to see his license taken away from him for the made up medical condition.

Either way...he needs to loose his driving privileges for awhile.

Jonathan
03-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Either way...he needs to loose his driving privileges for awhile.

Exactly. Didn't we all get taught in driver's ed when we were 16 that driving was a privilege and not a right? I think the whole concept of earning the privilege to drive and keeping that privilege by continuing to drive well is lost on a lot of people.

Dangermouse
03-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Apparently the driver has a medical condition & had a seizure, which is why you see him drift off the road then over-correct. "Apparently", according to the statement they made to the police. :]

By "medical condition" he means "asthma" and by "had a seizure" he means "he sneezed"

RIUM+
03-22-2014, 10:04 PM

That's the same way it is here (to the point that if your epilepsy is bad enough you can't drive in case someone wants to cause an accident by flashing lights at cars). Completely hearsay at this point because it's a game of telephones & my memory's getting fuzzy on details this specific, but I think I remember the NSW guys saying that they thought he was just high & distracted by the 5 DeLoreans driving in formation. He lied & blamed it on his medical condition to the police, which avoided a brief stay in jail for driving while high... But I don't think he considered the repercussions of claiming a medical condition, because the police officer would see to it that he's about to lose his licence for a year minimum until he can demonstrate & prove he no longer gets seizures.

RoyHinkley
03-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Wow! Such minimal damage for what looked like it would be much worse as seen from the video. Doesn't seem all to hard to bang back out.

DMCVegas
03-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Exactly. Didn't we all get taught in driver's ed when we were 16 that driving was a privilege and not a right? I think the whole concept of earning the privilege to drive and keeping that privilege by continuing to drive well is lost on a lot of people.

Agreed. Now if you could just explain this to the AARP...

thirdmanj
03-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Agreed. Now if you could just explain this to the AARP...

Mods, someone has hacked Robert's account. This post is far too short to be his.