PDA

View Full Version : General Any options/suggestions for repairing a small nick in bumper? (Black section)

kajcienski
03-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for repairing small nicks in the bumper? (Unpainted black section). A PO backed into something and put a couple small nicks in my back bumper and has bothered me since I bought the car. I just had my fascias repainted but opted not to repair and paint the black bumper sections as I wanted to keep it original looking. It seems like there should be some sort of fill option that would maybe not match the bumper perfectly, but at least fill in the nick and smooth it out quite well. Any suggestions?

pezzonovante88
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
There are mobile repair companies that can perform blow-ins and minor repairs to plastics such as bumpers. Any auto bodyshop should be able to do a blow-in, as well.

Rich
03-17-2014, 09:20 PM
How small are these nicks you want to repair?

As noted, a good body shop can probably help you. Have you taken it in for estimates?

When I got my fascia repainted my shop did a great job getting the (still unpainted) black sections looking like new, front and rear, removing several small scrapes or blemishes with a series of polishing compounds and an orbital wheel. I won't call them nicks.

Michael
03-17-2014, 09:43 PM
There are mobile repair companies that can perform blow-ins and minor repairs to plastics such as bumpers. Any auto bodyshop should be able to do a blow-in, as well.

I happen to own one of those companies :wink: but I got the impression that he didn't want to put a coating over the unfinished fascia. The only thing that comes to my mind is 3m bumper repair adhesive or maybe Lord brand Fusior adhesive. These are two part epoxies that are designed to adhere to the fascia material. The resin is black in color so if you use a smaller amount of the hardner (which is white) you should get a color close to a match. Apply it with a putty spreader and while it's still soft, wipe the excess away with a solvent...leaving the nicks filled. After the epoxy hardens it can be polished to match the fascia finish.

just know I have never attempted what I just explained...it's hard to do a blend without paint but I think it would work to some degree.