PDA

View Full Version : Electrical speaker wiring question

Jason
03-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Does switching the speakers from common ground to a separate negative for each side require running new speaker wires, or are there separate negative wires available in the center console somewhere?

Thanks

- Jason

Jonathan
03-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Jason,

From memory (when I replaced all my stereo components), the rear pair is together and the front pair is together. I believe the ground going back to the rear speakers splits at around where the coin tray is. Front is similar, but it'll be split somewhere out the back of the deck.

So, the simple answer is: yes, you will need to run new speaker wire as there won't be suitable extras waiting under the centre console for you.

On a positive note (hehe...), the factory speaker wiring was never the best quality nor gauge to begin with, and putting new stuff in is a good choice. If you are replacing the deck or speakers or both, I would personally recommend new wiring regardless. All in all, when you are doing a stereo upgrade project like that, it ends up being quite straight forward to put new stuff in and it makes life easier and less confusing by taking the old stuff out. If you go that route, there are quite a number of write-ups on how to do it.

DMCMW Dave
03-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Jason,

So, the simple answer is: yes, you will need to run new speaker wire as there won't be suitable extras waiting under the centre console for you.

it.

Not really. There is a pair of black wires, one side with a white tracer, going to each speaker. The are common-grounded within a foot of the radio unit. Go back into the harness and you'll find it.

Not a bad idea to replace the wiring, but if you are putting in a garden-variety radio it's not all that necessary either.

David T
03-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Not really. There is a pair of black wires, one side with a white tracer, going to each speaker. The are common-grounded within a foot of the radio unit. Go back into the harness and you'll find it.

Not a bad idea to replace the wiring, but if you are putting in a garden-variety radio it's not all that necessary either.

If you look at the wires they look like 18 gauge zip cord but that is deceiving. The insulation makes it look that way but the copper wire is only 22 gauge. If you are using the stock radio with 8 watts per channel it doesn't matter but anything more than that and the wires should be replaced.

Jason
03-24-2014, 09:06 PM
If you look at the wires they look like 18 gauge zip cord but that is deceiving. The insulation makes it look that way but the copper wire is only 22 gauge. If you are using the stock radio with 8 watts per channel it doesn't matter but anything more than that and the wires should be replaced.

It's 13 watt rms head unit. I'd like to avoid opening up the rear panels if possible. I find that because of age a lot of the plastic and other non metal interior parts often break when you start messing with them. The speakers were replaced maybe 6 or 7 years ago so I'm assuming they're still in good shape.

David T
03-24-2014, 09:34 PM
It's 13 watt rms head unit. I'd like to avoid opening up the rear panels if possible. I find that because of age a lot of the plastic and other non metal interior parts often break when you start messing with them. The speakers were replaced maybe 6 or 7 years ago so I'm assuming they're still in good shape.

If the speakers were replaced the rear trim should come off again easily. Use a heat gun if you have to. 13 watts the wires can handle. That is peak power so if you don't turn the volume all the way up it should be fine. You will probably blow the speakers first anyway.

Jason
03-25-2014, 11:12 PM
I pulled out the radio, and found this...
which has separate + and - for each speaker.

Is that normal on some cars, or did I rewire it long ago and forget?

jawn101
03-26-2014, 10:38 AM
I pulled out the radio, and found this...
which has separate + and - for each speaker.

Is that normal on some cars, or did I rewire it long ago and forget?

Well for sure there have been some changes here, since that dash opening has been cut for DIN. Those secondary connectors don't look factory but that 9 pin connector does.

Jonathan
03-26-2014, 10:59 AM
If I am seeing them right, those little red coloured splice connectors just beyond the secondary connectors are not factory either. Often added by POs to fix something or add something like a cruise control or alarm system. They could be removed if you know what they are going to is no longer needed. And the bare part of the wire left exposed is re-wrapped to protect it from shorting against something.

Patrick C
03-26-2014, 12:17 PM
If I am seeing them right, those little red coloured splice connectors just beyond the secondary connectors are not factory either.

Actually there are factory 3M quick splice connectors back there in some cars.