mluder
03-28-2014, 02:53 AM
Here's how not to be a d!ck.

http://rallyways.com/quickblog/worst-car-show-attendee-ever/

Cheers
Steven

DMCVegas
03-28-2014, 08:54 AM
This should be on a big sign at the entrance to every car show.

Lenny
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
This should be on a big sign at the entrance to every car show.

Rule Number One: Don’t Touch the Cars!

They need to watch the people around a DeLorean. In 2 weeks I'll be at the the Celebration car show. I'll bet at least 100 people just walk up and touch the car. It's like that every year.

kajcienski
03-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I have seen several owners display a "DeLorean 101" sheet that includes a few facts people often get wrong, and rules built into the facts - like I saw something to the affect of "The DeLorean has a stainless steel skin, not aluminum! Like your stainless steel appliances, fingerprints can be a bit of a nuisance so PLEASE refrain from touching the car no matter how tempting!". I like how this keeps it fun, but at the same time people who touch these cars probably don't care to stop and read a sheet like this... Does anyone use a sheet like this?

David T
03-28-2014, 10:06 AM
I have seen several owners display a "DeLorean 101" sheet that includes a few facts people often get wrong, and rules built into the facts - like I saw something to the affect of "The DeLorean has a stainless steel skin, not aluminum! Like your stainless steel appliances, fingerprints can be a bit of a nuisance so PLEASE refrain from touching the car no matter how tempting!". I like how this keeps it fun, but at the same time people who touch these cars probably don't care to stop and read a sheet like this... Does anyone use a sheet like this?

Unlike most cars, the Delorean invites people to touch it and because it is usually displayed with the doors open people often jump in. If having people touch the car bothers you that much don't go to car shows. Fingerprints wipe off. As for the jumping in problem, get some plastic pipe, cut it into two pieces long enough to go between the door anchor pins, paint them yellow and wrap a stripe with black tape. Now you get all of the dumb questions about how do you close the doors with them. I have a display board with some FAQ's but many don't bother to read it. They prefer to use those questions to strike up a conversation. I also use LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH signs but the kids don't read them! Just be careful of the ones who lean against the car with jeans with rivets, those scratch!

NightFlyer
03-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Last year's season wasn't too bad for me - I attended roughly 9 shows with the D.

Hoping for a repeat or even an improvement this year :smile:

mluder
03-28-2014, 02:21 PM
I love going to shows. Mostly because I like the fact that the DeLorean stands out in the sea of vintage hot rods. Everybody has seen an old Ford or Chevy. Almost no one has seen a DeLorean in person.

I have a couple different boards I've displayed. The one from The DeLorean Club of Ohio (I think?) is pretty good though slightly out of date. Might have to make a new one myself. Anyway. I printer it to 18x24 and mounted it to foam core and put it on the drivers seat. Keeps people from sitting and I find they actually do read it. Passenger side gets one of my kid's oversized teddy bears. That keeps them from sitting there.

I don't mind fingerprints. It happens so I keep some cleaner with me for touch ups. Some people are way too uptight. Heck, I've been known to allow strangers to sit in my car for a photo at the gas station etc on a case by case basis. It's just a car and if they're respectful how could I deny them the joy. Remember, we were once just like them in our awe and fascination.

Cheers
Steven

SS Spoiler
03-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Just an idea, how about a sign that says touch here, it's stainless. Then you only have to clean one little spot,
instead of the whole car.

gulwng3
03-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Or, if you have a protective lacquer finish (i.e. painted) Delorean, then you need not worry about fingerprints...:nana2:

I use to show a 68 Camaro, and only completely naked, attractive women were allowed to touch the car.

Andy

yellowmxwheels23
03-30-2014, 04:12 AM
I've mentioned on here before. I put a for sale sign in the window that says 150k OBO. Parents see that and hold their kids real close to them.

Roman Legion
03-30-2014, 06:58 AM
I've never attended a car show in my life, I want to, but there have never been any around at least that were advertised enough to know it was there. Would it be rude if I attended one and simply asked the owner "Would it be a bother if I sat in your car?". Let's face it, as car lovers, we want to proudly know our bottoms have been inside every nice, rare car you could imagine, even if you don't get to drive it.

I've never had anyone ask to sit in my car, because it's common enough and nothing special about it, but if someone nicely approached me about sitting in it, I don't think I'd turn them down. Having admitted never going to a car show, even before reading that article, I still wouldn't touch a car without permission as I wouldn't want anyone walking up and touching my car on a whim. I think I'd just keep my hands in my pockets or more likely behind my back.

But yeah, as mentioned above, many haven't seen a DeLorean in person, or at least in my case, never up close. Closest I've ever been to a DeLorean was 100 ft or so at an intersection on my way to school back in 1999 or 2000.

I've mentioned on here before. I put a for sale sign in the window that says 150k OBO. Parents see that and hold their kids real close to them.

That's not a bad idea..lol

Kenny_Z
03-30-2014, 09:36 AM
I'll let kids sit in the car and if the parents ask to sit in it I'll let them too. I'm not worried about the seats since I made them and can remake them if needed but they're really holding up better than I expected. The only time I didn't offer to let a very excited young man sit in the car was when it was a show at the beach and he had been swimming. He did get my last give-away Hot Wheels Time Machine though.

I find it funny when people touch the car. I only saw one little boy touch the Red when she was painted but since I've removed that paint it's like a hand magnet. I have no idea what it is about the stainless that draws so many people. I wish I had spoken to the owner of a stainless jeep I saw yesterday at a show. I'd love to know if it's the looks of the metal or just the DeLorean itself that attracts people.

The only thing that really bothers me is the trash talking. I usually stand away from the car and people often think I'm just looking. Many people (usually old guys) start to trash talk the performance, drugs, or other aspects of the car. I've only had a few slink away when they find out I'm the owner. Most just ramble themselves into stupidity trying to justify their "facts".

DMCVegas
03-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Fingerprints wipe off.

Yeah, but skin doesn't. You have to break out a Brillo pad and some Dawn to get that off.

Bit bit of a backstory here: I gave up on polishing stainless. I once spent hours washing and detailing my car inside and out, only to drive by a vacant lot shortly after where a large gust of wind blew by and got dust all over my car making it look as bad as it did before. So I don't bother with the SS polish and keep it bare. And since the paint is already has a worn patina after decades of being abandoned in the desert sun, I use dishwashing soap and strip the SS each time. Which leads me to the story...

For years the D was a daily driver as it was my only car. I worked at the cable company in Vegas where at the old location the employee parking lot was only a few feet from the customer one where people would park to go in and pay their bill. As I also started early in the morning, I usually got the first or second spot closest to the customer lot. So lots of people saw the car, especially when it blinded them. Being in the desert too, baking in the sun, the body panels get hot as hell. Anyone whose ever grabbed a chrome door handle in a Vegas or Phoenix summer can attest to this. One typical hot summer day of triple-digit temps I came out to get in my car and found a small child's handprint on the fender. Looking closer there appeared to be little pieces of skin stuck to the stainless panel. If you have ever dropped a piece of meat into a bare-metal skillet with no oil or cooking spray, you know that it sticks. And that was exactly what happened here as evidenced with that tiny hand print, because of how I wash my car.

It's was a hard lesson for whatever child that was to learn. I felt bad for them having such horrible parents that would let them wander around a parking lot to get hurt so easily.

But I do also take a small amount of comfort in knowing that my car can bite back if you start messing with it.

Roman Legion
03-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but skin doesn't. You have to break out a Brillo pad and some Dawn to get that off.

Bit bit of a backstory here: I gave up on polishing stainless. I once spent hours washing and detailing my car inside and out, only to drive by a vacant lot shortly after where a large gust of wind blew by and got dust all over my car making it look as bad as it did before. So I don't bother with the SS polish and keep it bare. And since the paint is already has a worn patina after decades of being abandoned in the desert sun, I use dishwashing soap and strip the SS each time. Which leads me to the story...

For years the D was a daily driver as it was my only car. I worked at the cable company in Vegas where at the old location the employee parking lot was only a few feet from the customer one where people would park to go in and pay their bill. As I also started early in the morning, I usually got the first or second spot closest to the customer lot. So lots of people saw the car, especially when it blinded them. Being in the desert too, baking in the sun, the body panels get hot as hell. Anyone whose ever grabbed a chrome door handle in a Vegas or Phoenix summer can attest to this. One typical hot summer day of triple-digit temps I came out to get in my car and found a small child's handprint on the fender. Looking closer there appeared to be little pieces of skin stuck to the stainless panel. If you have ever dropped a piece of meat into a bare-metal skillet with no oil or cooking spray, you know that it sticks. And that was exactly what happened here as evidenced with that tiny hand print, because of how I wash my car.

It's was a hard lesson for whatever child that was to learn. I felt bad for them having such horrible parents that would let them wander around a parking lot to get hurt so easily.

But I do also take a small amount of comfort in knowing that my car can bite back if you start messing with it.

I'm assuming that vacant lot was in Vegas, correct? My car is parked in the driveway here and was nice and clean, but we had a lot of wind and a spring shower, so now it has water spots filled with dirt. I'm going to rewash it soon, I can't stand it being dirty. Vegas dust and spring showers are annoying so far because of this.

DMCVegas
03-31-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm assuming that vacant lot was in Vegas, correct? My car is parked in the driveway here and was nice and clean, but we had a lot of wind and a spring shower, so now it has water spots filled with dirt. I'm going to rewash it soon, I can't stand it being dirty. Vegas dust and spring showers are annoying so far because of this.

Yes. About 98% of the misadventures that I've had with that car have all been in Vegas. From the bald guy I pissed off in the Viper with my hair @ Trop & LVB, to the bloodied homeless guy in NLV who thought I was an alien driving a UFO (so thanks to me playing along to get the hell out of there, I'm sure there is a guy who probably tells everyone about the time he encountered an alien and no one believes him that it really did happen. Assuming he's still alive).

Just wait. Oil attracts dust (which is why I don't polish my car). You fingers have oil. Your door handles, doors, trunk lid, and anywhere else you touch on the outside of your car is going to end up with dusty finger prints. Still not as bad as Houston. I spend hours Saturday washing and then waxing the new car for the first time. Sunday morning it blew all that damn green pollen all over it again. :bang head:

Carnauba wax (which I can't use on the D) does a fantastic job at keeping the car clean. Give it a good coat, and then you can just dust it during the summer.

Roman Legion
03-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Yes. About 98% of the misadventures that I've had with that car have all been in Vegas. From the bald guy I pissed off in the Viper with my hair @ Trop & LVB, to the bloodied homeless guy in NLV who thought I was an alien driving a UFO (so thanks to me playing along to get the hell out of there, I'm sure there is a guy who probably tells everyone about the time he encountered an alien and no one believes him that it really did happen. Assuming he's still alive).

Just wait. Oil attracts dust (which is why I don't polish my car). You fingers have oil. Your door handles, doors, trunk lid, and anywhere else you touch on the outside of your car is going to end up with dusty finger prints. Still not as bad as Houston. I spend hours Saturday washing and then waxing the new car for the first time. Sunday morning it blew all that damn green pollen all over it again. :bang head:

Carnauba wax (which I can't use on the D) does a fantastic job at keeping the car clean. Give it a good coat, and then you can just dust it during the summer.

Yeah, there are some strange people around here. I went out last night to the grocery store and when I was making a turn from Nellis blvd onto Owens I think to go to Smiths, pedestrians were crossing the street and staring me down.. They looked like bums, but holy crap it was uncomfortable, they passed the car and turned their heads back to keep staring. I swear, I'd have floored it if I heard a banjo..lol

I find the people who stand on the side of the street and twirl signs for businesses odd, because I can't even read the sign because they never give the twirling a break. The thing here that I really hate is when I get off the 515 or 15, sometimes just at regular lights and when I pull in somewhere to put fuel in my car, so many panhandlers. Actually, once I was out with a friend and she decided to hit the drive-thru because she was really hungry, some guy walked up after she placed the order while sitting in the queue and started asking for money for an inhaler, guy even had an inhaler there, said he needed to raise $80 for his inhaler.

I never carry money on me, just use plastic, but I have no idea who really needs help and who is full of crap, otherwise I'd give them something.

This town is full of far stranger people than one could imagine. Seriously, when you are at the meeting point for the 515 and Charleston, why are there so many of these people on every light and corner?

Ugh, gotta wash the car again this week, the dusty water spots from the other day's spring shower and strong winds carrying dirt have made my car look like crap.

DMCVegas
03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Yeah, there are some strange people around here. I went out last night to the grocery store and when I was making a turn from Nellis blvd onto Owens I think to go to Smiths, pedestrians were crossing the street and staring me down.. They looked like bums, but holy crap it was uncomfortable, they passed the car and turned their heads back to keep staring. I swear, I'd have floored it if I heard a banjo..lol

I find the people who stand on the side of the street and twirl signs for businesses odd, because I can't even read the sign because they never give the twirling a break. The thing here that I really hate is when I get off the 515 or 15, sometimes just at regular lights and when I pull in somewhere to put fuel in my car, so many panhandlers. Actually, once I was out with a friend and she decided to hit the drive-thru because she was really hungry, some guy walked up after she placed the order while sitting in the queue and started asking for money for an inhaler, guy even had an inhaler there, said he needed to raise $80 for his inhaler.

I never carry money on me, just use plastic, but I have no idea who really needs help and who is full of crap, otherwise I'd give them something.

This town is full of far stranger people than one could imagine. Seriously, when you are at the meeting point for the 515 and Charleston, why are there so many of these people on every light and corner?

Ugh, gotta wash the car again this week, the dusty water spots from the other day's spring shower and strong winds carrying dirt have made my car look like crap.

Well, for most people this right here is the best way that I can describe Vegas:

http://fishbottle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Virtual_Bug_Zapper1.jpg

It's not a city for everybody. But for me it's my own paradise.

East Side can be sketchy at times. Lots of drunk drivers... Less methlabs, so that's a bonus. Lots of rednecks to the north and latinos to the south. Still sucks though to be on Nellis and get stuck behind a sludge truck on the way to Apex, but on the whole far better than Northtown. The homeless problem in Vegas has always been there, but it got really bad in 2002... Metro cleared out Tent City along the UPRR tracks above Charleston. It scattered the homeless across the city because previously they were out of sight but also had a whole village where they could protect themselves. Then Salt Lake City started bussing that city's homeless down to Las Vegas to make way for the Olympic games. The overpopulation of homeless people caused them to scatter all over. Some went to other parts of the city, some died, some have taken to the tunnels, some left voluntarily, and a good chunk got shipped off to other states thanks to Rawson-Neal...until the Sacramento Bee uncovered that scheme.

I remember back in 2002 when I was still living up in NLV, I was on the Craig Road offramp waiting for the light. There was this weird-ass bearded guy in white who was panhandling. He was there for a few days and then disappeared, but had these two women with him that were either sitting under the bridge, or walking around out on the gravel and even behind him as they walked by my DeLorean. Lots of runaways, druggies, and hippies always asking for rides to California out there at the Pilot gas station across the street so I never thought anything of it. Turns out it was Elizabeth Smart that walked by me...

Hell, we could split this into another thread with the stories I have to tell. Or just e-mail me directly.

I know it seems like it's not the best place, but trust me, Vegas is what you make of it. For me, I love the place.