PDA

View Full Version : Fuel 29 mpg?

kl31
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
The fuel gauge on my DeLorean doesn't work. So i decided to try to figure out the MPG to calculate when the tank is about to run out of gas.

anyways, on monday, filled the car with gas, and drove 50 miles over the next few days until today. I topped off the gas tank, and i only filled about 1.7 gallons. which means some how, i'm getting over 29mpg. and this is driving around town, no highways and such.

i just use the odometer to keep track of how far i've driven. 29mpg doesn't sound realistic at all. i am quite curious as to why i have attained such results.

also, i can only fill the tank with 7 gallons. i was driving around with my friend, and the transmission began to slip, which for me, would indicate that the tank is almost empty, and the engine will die soon. not sure why that is.

David T
04-04-2014, 09:24 PM
The fuel gauge on my DeLorean doesn't work. So i decided to try to figure out the MPG to calculate when the tank is about to run out of gas.

anyways, on monday, filled the car with gas, and drove 50 miles over the next few days until today. I topped off the gas tank, and i only filled about 1.7 gallons. which means some how, i'm getting over 29mpg. and this is driving around town, no highways and such.

i just use the odometer to keep track of how far i've driven. 29mpg doesn't sound realistic at all. i am quite curious as to why i have attained such results.

also, i can only fill the tank with 7 gallons. i was driving around with my friend, and the transmission began to slip, which for me, would indicate that the tank is almost empty, and the engine will die soon. not sure why that is.

Do you have an automatic? Any slippage is "Bad News". You really need to drive over a longer distance to get a fuel consumption rate. 29 is high, probably closer to 24-25.

kl31
04-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Do you have an automatic? Any slippage is "Bad News". You really need to drive over a longer distance to get a fuel consumption rate. 29 is high, probably closer to 24-25.

yes i have an auto. the slippage only occurs when the tank is low. if i fill the tank back up, the slippage disappears.

DMCMW Dave
04-04-2014, 09:45 PM
yes i have an auto. the slippage only occurs when the tank is low. if i fill the tank back up, the slippage disappears.

That's not the trans slipping. That's your fuel baffle not being a baffle. OR a torn pickup hose.

TTait
04-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Your sample size is too small. The first time the gas pump shut off it put a little bit too much in the tank, the second time it pumped in a little less before shutting off I'd guess .

Run 150 miles, then fill up - calculate - then try 180 - then 210, and so on until you are going through most of your tank.

kl31
04-05-2014, 01:36 AM
That's not the trans slipping. That's your fuel baffle not being a baffle. OR a torn pickup hose.

i'm confused... when i'm low on gas, the car drives fine under 20mph. if i try to accelerate, the engine revs up, but it is completely disconnected to the wheels, and the car decelerates. that's not the trans slipping?

still doesn't explain why i can only fill like 7 gallons though.

yeah a larger sample size is probably a good idea.

Bitsyncmaster
04-05-2014, 04:54 AM
Check the fluid level of your transmission. Sounds like you may be low on fluid. You check it with the engine running, warmed up, car level and in park or neutral.

Silverbullet
04-05-2014, 01:29 PM
You really need to pull your fuel pump out and look at the pick-up hose and baffle...

Craig

TTait
04-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Just pointing out, your fuel level sender is bad, and you may need to pull your fuel pump and baffle to inspect and possibly repair them. Maybe its time to think about the all in one fuel pump, baffle, and sender assembly from Houston? I do not have one but they are getting rave reviews.

I agree though that you need to look at your ATF level though. That is quick and easy to do. When you check it make sure the fluid is clear and red - not milky or dark.

In addition to that there is a vacuum line that runs to the transmission modulator that you access from under the car that you want to at least inspect. It may have come loose or be leaking.

Silverbullet
04-05-2014, 08:28 PM
I do have the all in one fuel pump & sender.... It is well worth the money...

Craig