PDA

View Full Version : General Steering Wheel Adaptor........am I that dumb?!?

sapphirexae
04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Good evening everyone,

A quick and most likely stupid question! I am wanting to go Momo and cannot seem to find a steering wheel adaptor. Everything I've read seems to indicate that there are no longer any options to do this. Is that correct or have I been looking in all the wrong places? Thanks a lot!

EdR5150
04-06-2014, 09:42 PM
DMCH appears to be out of them. Supposedly the steering column came from GM, so you can get a cheap GM adapter, and modify it. I bought one off ebay, and later decided against using it, only to have ALEXAKOS finish it:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3422-MOMO-Evolution-Steering-Wheel&p=123112&viewfull=1#post123112

Again, Bravo, ALEXAKOS!

ALEXAKOS
04-07-2014, 03:02 AM
Thanx ed!
May I add that apart from it being a very costly and complex modification of that original chrome ebay adapter, it is also too short!!!!!!!!!!!

The Delorean Wheel has an offset from the center to he gripping circle.

While the Momo steering is flat straight with its center. That makes the momo wheel gripping circle position its self a couple of inches further inside toward the binnacle and of course on to the wiper and turn signal switches.

See here the differences. (sorry could no find two profile photos so I chose a couple from the same angle)
http://www.pjgrady.co.uk/General/Images/VIN570_A6.jpghttp://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEyLzA0LzA5LzE2XzE0XzQ4XzI5OF9maWxlCnAJdGh1bW IJODUweDU5MD4KZQlqcGc/68f08cc6.jpg

Here you can bare see how the switches are onto the wheel
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/F972FB1F-F455-4BD2-9B9A-BBB71E4156FC_zps4n5b08zr.jpg

I had to bend the two switches backwards about an inch. That was also very risky cause they could have snapped as they are hollow cause the wiring goes through there. Make sure to heat it up preferably with a head gun not an open flame cause it will burn off the rubbery exterior of those pipes.

Notice how my switches are not tilted forward now but are sticking straight out.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/CE0AACB7-9553-4C77-8AFF-B78F253E2F13_zpsru7ilhbw.jpg

PLUS the momo wheel completely hides the switches icons as they fall directly behind its beams. The delorean wheel has its beams lower down. That could become a possible turn down at a vehicle inspection in certain countries. (EG Germany)

Hope this helps!

Gfrank
04-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I believe I had a brand new dmch adaptor I had intended on listing forsale shortly if it intrests you

ALEXAKOS
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
I believe I had a brand new dmch adaptor I had intended on listing forsale shortly if it intrests you

Anybody interested...
DO NOT LOOSE THIS CHANCE!! :thumbup:

Creating an adapter is a bitch!

sapphirexae
04-07-2014, 05:53 PM

I am indeed interested. Please PM me and we'll talk. Thanks!!

Nicholas R
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
I have the DMCH adapter on my car and the wheel is in the same location as the original. No issues with the stalks/switches. The DMCH adapter must be deeper than the GM one.

DMCMW Dave
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Normally I hate to tip my hand but let's call it market research. We've been looking into having the adapter made locally (i.e. in the machine shop in our building). Problem is that there is no way we can do it for anything close to the former price. That was something that was made long ago, probably in some low-cost part of the world and adapted from some other car, and isn't around anymore.

We'd really like to know what folks would pay for this. Not to figure out the price, but to figure out if we should bother. PM me if you like, or just post it here.

ALEXAKOS
04-08-2014, 01:57 AM
Normally I hate to tip my hand but let's call it market research. We've been looking into having the adapter made locally (i.e. in the machine shop in our building). Problem is that there is no way we can do it for anything close to the former price. That was something that was made long ago, probably in some low-cost part of the world and adapted from some other car, and isn't around anymore.

We'd really like to know what folks would pay for this. Not to figure out the price, but to figure out if we should bother. PM me if you like, or just post it here.

90-120 USD would be a fair price considering what it cost me to get it done from scratch.

jwrayth
04-08-2014, 04:03 AM
90-120 USD would be a fair price considering what it cost me to get it done from scratch.

I'd be willing to pay in that range.

Flicky
04-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I'd go for one at $100. However, I really don't think it should be more than $50 considering I'd expect run of 100 pieces or more. Also, since the parts are out there to measure, there isn't really a new engineering cost to it.

Nicholas R
04-09-2014, 01:11 AM
What is the spline pattern on the steering wheel? It's either 11/16-36 or 3/4-36 right? I suppose it depends on how you have it machined. Man, if you could locate a broach for that spline pattern you'd be golden.

papanoel
04-10-2014, 01:34 AM
I would love an adapter as well but 100 would be my top end for paying for one..

DMCMW Dave
04-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I would love an adapter as well but 100 would be my top end for paying for one..

The guy a couple posts back who says he can do it for $50 probably ought to go ahead then.

BTW 100 pcs is a VERY long term investment.

Ras12
04-10-2014, 09:05 PM
I purchased a used steering wheel from a Fiero GT (pontiac firebird / trans am are the same) for $35, removed the 6 screws that hold the steering wheel on and reused the part with the splines on it. It slides onto the DMC shaft perfectly. I had to bend the 6 metal "fingers" that the wheel screws into a little to align the holes but once you get 2 or 3 to line up the rest is easy. I mounted the imitation Momo wheel to it. (See photos). The Fiero plastic collar fits too but needs trimming with a Dremel tool to fit because it is too deep. The biggest issue is the clearance on the wiper and blinker arms. (See photos) as mentioned in this post above they can be CAREFULLY bent back to give your hand enough clearance. Again the reason from this is because the aftermarket wheel I used is flat where the stock DMC wheel is concaved. So picking a 6 screw wheel with a little concave it would be better.

(Please ignore the dust and dirt in my car. These photos were taken while I was redoing my house and the carpenters where cutting wood in the garage with my car there. The cover was on it but the windows were open. Needless to say they got a mouthful :bash: :mallet: from me when I got home!!)

Hope this "budget-minded tip" helps!

Ras12
04-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Opps. Forgot to attach the photos!

Nicholas R
04-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Interesting; so the fiero has the same steering wheel spline pattern as the DeLorean. Good to know!

Ebay is literally littered with fiero steering wheel adapters. As long as you make sure you have posts to trigger the turn signals off, that should be it!

Ras12
04-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Here are some more photos.

sapphirexae
04-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Lots of good info here, thank you all. I ended up buying Gary's band new DMCH Adaptor and then ordered my new Momo wheel. Thanks everyone!

LordFly
04-11-2014, 04:06 PM
I like my steering wheel just the way it is, but I'm kinda curious... is the hub something that could be plastic? I know a guy who's pretty good with solidworks and has a 3D printer ;)

aipri
04-12-2014, 12:42 AM
I would be fine with paying $100 for an adapter that I knew was made for our car and would fit correctly