PDA

View Full Version : General Part Tracking Software

virtualchuck
04-07-2014, 08:54 AM
I was just reading through the restorations on www.noroads.com and he mentions writing a software application for tracking parts. I'm just wondering if anyone has come across a program, app., website, etc... That they use for part tracking when they are doing a restoration? I think that this makes a lot of sense to keep track of the who/what/whens of parts when owning/restoring a DeLorean.

Chuck

OverlandMan
04-07-2014, 09:22 AM
I was just reading through the restorations on www.noroads.com and he mentions writing a software application for tracking parts. I'm just wondering if anyone has come across a program, app., website, etc... That they use for part tracking when they are doing a restoration? I think that this makes a lot of sense to keep track of the who/what/whens of parts when owning/restoring a DeLorean.

Chuck

I have an ever-growing Excel workbook with a few different sheets that I use to research and track my parts purchases. I even created a 3D pie chart that tracks my overall progress. It's got a few flaws in it and I haven't updated it a couple of months... but it works for me in the grand scheme of things.

I can't really justify looking for a separate piece of software or coding something fancy myself when Excel does what I ask for now.

Mark D
04-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Yup, I have an excel spreadsheet going too. Most of the part number info I pulled from the DMC store website. I use the spreadsheet for comparing different vendor pricing and tracking which parts I need to buy. I have a separate tab for each subsection of the car as broken down by the parts manual. I've also got a separate sheet to log which parts I've purchased, labor I've completed removing or installing parts and a running cost total of how much I've spent.

When I bought my car I took all the PO's records and loaded them into a spreadsheet so I could easily track which parts were previously replaced and have an easy way to reference past work instead of having to dig through piles of old papers.

The parts manual matches the breakdown of the different subgroups on the DMC store website so if you don't want to use excel you could also just print those out and highlight which parts you need.

Here's an example of what I did for the front suspension when I was working on doing chassis restoration.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26377&d=1396879338
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26376&d=1396879338

One other thing that works reasonbly well is the DMC store Wishlist feature. It lets you save parts you know you want to order later. It can be a little glitchy sometimes so I don't rely on it too much, but it helped when I was sending out my christmas list last year.

OverlandMan
04-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Yup, I have an excel spreadsheet going too. Most of the part number info I pulled from the DMC store website. I use the spreadsheet for comparing different vendor pricing and tracking which parts I need to buy. I have a separate tab for each subsection of the car as broken down by the parts manual. I've also got a separate sheet to log which parts I've purchased, labor I've completed removing or installing parts and a running cost total of how much I've spent.

When I bought my car I took all the PO's records and loaded them into a spreadsheet so I could easily track which parts were previously replaced and have an easy way to reference past work instead of having to dig through piles of old papers.

The parts manual matches the breakdown of the different subgroups on the DMC store website so if you don't want to use excel you could also just print those out and highlight which parts you need.

Here's an example of what I did for the front suspension when I was working on doing chassis restoration.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26377&d=1396879338
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26376&d=1396879338

One other thing that works reasonbly well is the DMC store Wishlist feature. It lets you save parts you know you want to order later. It can be a little glitchy sometimes so I don't rely on it too much, but it helped when I was sending out my christmas list last year.

Nice. I like what you did there. I may have to revamp mine.

Elvis
04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
There is this cool progra called "FINDPART"

It would be great tot see it updated, but it's still great.