PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Hard to push into gear

Some guy
04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
So i am stumped on this one.

The car goes into all 5 gears and reverse, but i have to use a good deal of force to do so. It doesn't grind or anything like that. But just pushing it into gear takes a lot more force then it use to. A lot more then it should.

It happens when it is running and also when it is off.

I have a new master and slave cylinder on the car. The transmission oil is only like a year old and i checked the level and it leaked out of the hole, so it is full. I checked the "butter fly bolt" (i think that is what it is called) and it was ok.

It was never this hard to shift gears, now i am worried that i might break the shifting parts.

I dont know if the transmissions is bad or just the oil needs to be changed again.

I did have a problem where it was popping out of 5th gear when i hit a bump on the highway. I have not been able to clean the nose on the transmission to fix that. But i was thinking it was related.

David T
04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
So i am stumped on this one.

The car goes into all 5 gears and reverse, but i have to use a good deal of force to do so. It doesn't grind or anything like that. But just pushing it into gear takes a lot more force then it use to. A lot more then it should.

It happens when it is running and also when it is off.

I have a new master and slave cylinder on the car. The transmission oil is only like a year old and i checked the level and it leaked out of the hole, so it is full. I checked the "butter fly bolt" (i think that is what it is called) and it was ok.

It was never this hard to shift gears, now i am worried that i might break the shifting parts.

I dont know if the transmissions is bad or just the oil needs to be changed again.

I did have a problem where it was popping out of 5th gear when i hit a bump on the highway. I have not been able to clean the nose on the transmission to fix that. But i was thinking it was related.

Disconnect the linkage at the transmission and see if it is still difficult to move. If it is, you have a problem in the linkage and you need to clean and lubricate the joints. If the linkage moves easily the problem is in the transmission.

SS Spoiler
04-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Do you have good grounds? Sometimes the engine will ground out through the cross gate cable.

Some guy
04-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Do you have good grounds? Sometimes the engine will ground out through the cross gate cable.

I think so, I have not had any issues with bad grounds on the engine. It runs fine and all the sensors work fine.

I read about problems with the Cross gate cable, but that seems to be fine. No binding or hard going side to side with the shifter. It is just going back and forth.

I can hear the gears "click in"

Some guy
04-09-2014, 02:26 PM
it was the pivot bolt.

The bold came out easy, but i guess with no grease, it was just froze when trying to push the car into gear.

I loaded it up with grease and OMG the car shifts so effortlessly. It takes almost no effort.