PDA

View Full Version : Engine intake manifold removal questions

delorean928
04-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi, I used this method : http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/waterpump3.html to remove the intake manifold to change my water pump, spark plugs, fuel injectors seals, distributor and rotor and clean the vod.
By the way I would like to give 5 thumbs up to the author Peter Lucas and to thank him very much to share these infos.
At step 8, when it was the time to remove the solenoid valve, I never found it. Are there cars who don't have that???
Also at step 14, it says remove 2 large hoses from front of manifold. I have only one on the right side. Is it normal???
Does anybody have photos? I'm a bit anxious :(
Beside that, the procedure went well but I'm not done yet since one of the 4 bolts that holds the manifold to the block looks stuck. I've put a bit of M55 (which I don't think will help but we never know) and I'll try again tomorrow. I think it will break. :mad1:

DMCMW Dave
04-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Hi, I used this method : http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/waterpump3.html to remove the intake manifold to change my water pump, spark plugs, fuel injectors seals, distributor and rotor and clean the vod.
By the way I would like to give 5 thumbs up to the author Peter Lucas and to thank him very much to share these infos.
At step 8, when it was the time to remove the solenoid valve, I never found it. Are there cars who don't have that???
Also at step 14, it says remove 2 large hoses from front of manifold. I have only one on the right side. Is it normal???
Does anybody have photos? I'm a bit anxious :(
Beside that, the procedure went well but I'm not done yet since one of the 4 bolts that holds the manifold to the block looks stuck. I've put a bit of M55 (which I don't think will help but we never know) and I'll try again tomorrow. I think it will break. :mad1:

All cars should have the solenoid valve. Follow the tube from the ignition distributor, sometimes you'll find the valve hanging from the hoses.

I suspect that the two large hoses on the manifold are for the power brakes (passenger side runner) and the automatic transmission (driver side runner). On a manual transmission car, the driver side hose will not be there. There will be a small hose at the top of that intake runner that should disappear into the valley to the 3-port switch that you can't see yet.

delorean928
04-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Thank's Dave for your help. In fact your right about the solenoid valve I saw it nearer to the résistors but I was'nt sure. I think you're right too about the big hose missing from the left side manifold. My car is a manual.
I will try to unscrew the last out of 4 bolts holding the manifolds tonight. I'll pray it won't break :nervous:

By the way I'm one of your customers. Julee is the one who takes care of my orders. She's very patient ;)

Bitsyncmaster
04-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Try carefully moving your socket wrench left and right when you try to remove it. If it moves a little you should get it out but keep feeding a thin oil onto the bolt shaft.

I've been able to remove many bolts that way. It's just when you get no movement then you will most likely break it.

delorean928
04-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I got it!!!! :smoke1: It did'nt break. You can be sure that I'll put new bolts there and anti-seize on threads.
Another question : is there a drain plug somewhere to drain the engine block from it's coolant? I would like to flush all of it.

Thank's again for the help.

opethmike
04-08-2014, 10:06 PM
I got it!!!! :smoke1: It did'nt break. You can be sure that I'll put new bolts there and anti-seize on threads.
Another question : is there a drain plug somewhere to drain the engine block from it's coolant? I would like to flush all of it.

Thank's again for the help.

There are two. One right near the oil filter, and one hidden behind the catalytic converter. They are square drive.

delorean928
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM
There are two. One right near the oil filter, and one hidden behind the catalytic converter. They are square drive.

Good news. Thank's. Are they easily reachable or I have to disassemble more parts?

DMCMW Dave
04-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Good news. Thank's. Are they easily reachable or I have to disassemble more parts?

Same fitting as the oil drain. The one on the driver side is near the converter but you can get it with a straight extension. If you still have the OEM asbestos heat shield on the converter, it will fill up with coolant and fall apart, so be sure to rinse it off and if possible help force-dry it.

delorean928
04-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Thank you very much for the advice Dave. If I may ask something else :) should I apply silicone to the water pump backcover new gasket? I think I have a bad spell with coolant leaks :( The last time I asked the guy told me to put some just in case and it leaked. I don't want that to happen after I reassembled everything. If I'm better put silicone do I put it to both sides of the gasket? Is there a another thing to do?