PDA

View Full Version : General Squeaky dash

MML
04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
My dash has been squeaking and creaking for some time now, and it's starting to drive me nuts!
How is it attached to the interior? Are there any bolts, etc. that might need tightening? I know our cars are generally pretty creaky, but this is something that seems like it should be easy to fix.

There's also an occasional rattling noise under the dash somewhere, it sounds like it's light, thin plastic or something similar. Any ideas what it could be? I'm sorry I'm a bit vague, it's hard to pinpoint!

refugeefromcalif
04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Are you sure it's the dash squeaking? I had a similar problem last year. I was sure it was the dash and posted a video incase someone else would recognize the sound.
For me it turned out to be the T-Panel making a Rattle/Squeak noise. (I've yet to fix it).

Just a thought.

George

MML
04-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Are you sure it's the dash squeaking? I had a similar problem last year. I was sure it was the dash and posted a video incase someone else would recognize the sound.
For me it turned out to be the T-Panel making a Rattle/Squeak noise. (I've yet to fix it).

Just a thought.

George

Hi George, yeah I'm almost certain, if you press down on it, it stops making noise... you don't have a link to the video, out of curiosity?

Bitsyncmaster
04-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Mine did that squeaking. Fixed it by putting some fiction tape between the knee pads where it contacts the dash. It was just the contact of two vinyl covered surfaces.

john 05141
04-10-2014, 05:33 AM
I had the same squeaking sound thing.
The sound came from where the console rests above the vents.
If you lift that a bit with your fingers while driving or put some presure on it, it will stop making the noice or rule out this is the cause; I think thr sound reflects from the windshiled becasue it sounds like it comes from the dash but is is not.

I solved that by untightening the bolts and put some cloth like insulator tape underneath and tightened the bolts again.

Jan

MML
04-10-2014, 05:49 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check out those suggestions... Jan, where are the bolts you're referring to located?

refugeefromcalif
04-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Hi George, yeah I'm almost certain, if you press down on it, it stops making noise... you don't have a link to the video, out of curiosity?

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy7sGDZXHxk

I hope you get yours fixed.

George

john 05141
04-10-2014, 06:45 AM
the bolts are under the shiftersplate and 2 screws at the kneepads is enough.
Jan

Patrick C
04-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Is this an original dashboard or the DMCH plastic version?

MML
04-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Is this an original dashboard or the DMCH plastic version?

An original... are they constructed differently to the repros?

nkemp
05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I have a similar squeak and I think I've figured out where it is coming from. To test my theory, I used some cereal box cardboard and moved it around between the suspected offending pieces until the squeak is gone. Here is a shot of where It seems to work the best.

Now I need to take it apart and put something is to eliminate the squeak.

Your mileage, I mean squeak, may vary...YSMV

NK

SS Spoiler
05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
There are some advantages of being hard of hearing.....

Spittybug
05-09-2014, 05:45 PM
There are some advantages of being hard of hearing.....
what?

john 05141
05-12-2014, 07:38 AM
:smile: