PDA

View Full Version : Electrical headlight switch mod?

kl31
04-10-2014, 05:07 AM
my headlight switch recently stopped working. i can push it into the half way point, and all the lights except headlights light up. but if i push it all the way in, the headlights would turn on, but the switch itself wouldn't lock into position deep enough to keep the headlights on.

now, being too cheap to go and buy a replacement set from DMC, i was wondering whether it would be possible to fit the switch with a internal toggle switch, so pushing down the button on the outside would push a button on the inside, and that will turn on all the lights. most toggle switches that small can only handle like .5 amps, so i would also wire in a mosfet relay switch that would bypass the current.

i this would really only remove the 2 settings for the headlights switch. either all the lights are on, or all the lights are off. personally, i see no problem with that.

Tillsy
04-10-2014, 06:39 AM
my headlight switch recently stopped working. i can push it into the half way point, and all the lights except headlights light up. but if i push it all the way in, the headlights would turn on, but the switch itself wouldn't lock into position deep enough to keep the headlights on.

now, being too cheap to go and buy a replacement set from DMC, i was wondering whether it would be possible to fit the switch with a internal toggle switch, so pushing down the button on the outside would push a button on the inside, and that will turn on all the lights. most toggle switches that small can only handle like .5 amps, so i would also wire in a mosfet relay switch that would bypass the current.

You're way over thinking this.

Remove the blue wire from the headlight switch and splice it to the red/orange wire.

That first click will then turn on the whole show. It won't create any (additional) load issues as the headlights are offloaded through a relay.

Some guy
04-10-2014, 02:33 PM
if you are feeling brave, you can try remelting the headlight switch.

I was going to send mine in to special T auto, but i never got a reply about it. So I just did it my self.

I used a soldering iron on low heat. First i removed the contact and cleaned them up. Then i just pushed the plastic back into place. (Be careful not to burn the plastic)

I had to glue the contacts down to keep them in place, then i put it back together. It took me a few hours since i was nervous, plus i was adding the relay into it.

I also creating a relay bypass for the around car lights, since the headlights are already on relays.

If you do go and melt the plastic back, make sure you clean the hell out of the contacts. the plastic will not be as strong as stock, so there is a greater chance of the switch going bad again if it heats up

Some guy
04-10-2014, 02:40 PM
if you are feeling brave, you can try remelting the headlight switch.

I was going to send mine in to special T auto, but i never got a reply about it. So I just did it my self.

I used a soldering iron on low heat. First i removed the contact and cleaned them up. Then i just pushed the plastic back into place. (Be careful not to burn the plastic)

I had to glue the contacts down to keep them in place, then i put it back together. It took me a few hours since i was nervous, plus i was adding the relay into it.

I also created a relay bypass for the around car lights, since the headlights are already on relays.

If you do go and melt the plastic back, make sure you clean the hell out of the contacts. the plastic will not be as strong as stock, so there is a greater chance of the switch going bad again if it heats up