PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Manual transmission always stayed the same?

Henrik
04-10-2014, 11:16 PM
I am wondering if the five speed manual gearbox ever went through any design changes as long as it was installed in a Delorean, i.e. from the first VIN to the last VIN: Were all manual trannys the exact same?

Thanks,

Henrik

Bitsyncmaster
04-11-2014, 05:45 AM
I think they found the nut that backs off and made a procedure change (think it was locktite it).

David T
04-11-2014, 12:36 PM
I think they found the nut that backs off and made a procedure change (think it was locktite it).

There are some subtle changes on the automatic, I call them "early" vs "late". Functionally they have no effect. I am not aware of any production changes with the manual box, at least during the production of the Delorean. There were many changes over the life of the design, the biggest being the addition of the 5th overdrive gear. There are many variations in ratios and the fact that you can "flip" the dif to make the package rear wheel drive. The majority of these transaxles went into front wheel drive vehicles (not Deloreans). The nut backing off is because in the Delorean we are turning the transmission the "wrong" way.

DMCMW Dave
04-11-2014, 02:04 PM
There are some early 10-spline input shaft transmissions out there. They use a different clutch disc. It's in the handfuls.

Nicholas R
04-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Since we're on the topic of transmissions (and Dave maybe you can answer this) does anyone know what the differential ratio is supposed to be?

I have read several places where people say it's 3.44, however; when I had mine apart, I definitely counted 32 teeth on the crown gear and 9 on the pinion. 32/9=3.55. Anyone have any info on this, or have a transmission apart to count teeth on?

Nick774
04-14-2014, 12:13 AM
I have an early ten spline and was fortunate enough to locate a NOS Valeo clutch. I was given a new style throw out bearing with the plastic sleeve inside and It will not fit onto the shaft, even with some never-cease. I will have to order the old style. I'm not sure of any other changes to the gearbox itself.:headscratch:

Nicholas R
04-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I have an early ten spline and was fortunate enough to locate a NOS Valeo clutch. I was given a new style throw out bearing with the plastic sleeve inside and It will not fit onto the shaft, even with some never-cease. I will have to order the old style. I'm not sure of any other changes to the gearbox itself.:headscratch:

I'm confused... the bearing goes around the metal tube that the shaft is inside of. Is the spline pattern bigger than the tube?