PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body CHEMSEARCH Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish

Lenny
04-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Has anyone used CHEMSEARCH Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish on there car?

The only place I can find to buy it is on EBay

ccurzio
04-14-2014, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't bother with any special stainless cleaners. Just use laundry detergent or dish soap.

Patrick C
04-14-2014, 04:56 PM
If it's SS Glo by Chemsearch, I have used it. Definitely oily, but works and leaves a nice citrus scenet. I haven't used any polish in years though.

Mark D
04-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Whatever you use keep in mind that it's not just the stainless you're cleaning... The bumpers are painted and there are black plastic trim parts, rubber window seals, etc that might react poorly with any harsh cleaners. You may not intentionally get cleaner on these parts but there is usually some overspray or when you are wiping things of you may streak onto the other parts. Check the label on your cleaner and maybe do some tests in hidden areas to see if it affects the rubber/plastic parts. I can't say I've heard of CHEMSEARCH cleaner before....If it works well be sure to report back and let us know how it goes!

For general washing I wouldn't even use laundry soap or dish detergent since they are both harsh on paint and will strip off any wax or polish you may have on your painted facias. Use a high quality soap designed for automotive use just as if you were washing a car with paint.

AugustneverEnds
04-14-2014, 09:12 PM
If you have time I definitely think the car benefits from an old-fashioned car washing with water, auto soap (I'm satisfied with Meguiar's products) and manual drying. If this is too much work try using Windex with a sponge to lift the dirt off and paper towels to dry. For a "wet" look I like Zep Stainless Steel Polish. If fingerprint prevention is a greater priority, Turtle Wax Ice seems to help a bit. On the louvres, bumpers and other black trim pieces again I use Meguiar's Shine Protectant (comes in low or high gloss)

Patrick C
04-15-2014, 08:07 AM
It is also what DMCH sells:

https://store.delorean.com/p-9103-ss-glo-stainless-polish.aspx

rddmc
04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Has anyone used CHEMSEARCH Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish on there car?

The only place I can find to buy it is on EBay

I have used Chemsearch Glo SS Plus since I bought my first DeLorean in 1999. I have found no other product that works as well for me. It is expensive and I order it directly from Chemsearch, but they only ship full cases which is a box of 12 cans. I just received my second case of twelve 11 oz. cans. The label is new on the current shipment but the product is the same with the exception that the new order has a slight citrus smell.

In my experience this product is not a cleaner, it a polish for clean stainless. It gives stainless a darker and richer looking appearance and makes the stainless uniform. I apply by spraying it on a microfiber cloth then using the cloth on the car. It is best to do this in a garage or outside on a still day since drift can be a problem on glass.

I bought my first case in 1999 and reordered in March. During that time I remember selling a couple of cans to other DeLorean owners who liked the product.

A dozen cans currently cost $185 plus state tax, local tax, and shipping which brought the total cost to $214. I have also used the product on farm and orchard equipment when I operated a peach orchard.

As I said before it is expensive but to me it is worth the cost. The old can was gray, the new can is yellow.

Rod

papanoel
04-15-2014, 03:03 PM
I use a product called twinkle. A fellow forum member recommended it to me and it gives fantastic results. Gives a realy nice pop to the stainless and great for dealing with fingerprints. Onlydownside with any of these cleanres you can't just clean one spot. you have to do the whole panel or its not going to look right.

Should be available at your local hardware store or buy a pack of 3 from amazon. thats what i did.

Lenny
04-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I've used the DMC Glo-SS and really like it but it's almost 30 bucks a can. I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

I like the sheen it leaves, notice I said sheen not shine. I clean the car first but when I get to the show I wipe the whole car down with it. During the day I can squirt a little on my microfiber cloth to just touch up the fingerprints, I don't have to do the entire car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEMSEARCH-Stainless-Steel-Cleaner-Polish-11-Oz-Aerosol-Cans-12-Case-NIB-/221210801202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338130f432