PDA

View Full Version : Fuel fuel pump leak? and smell.

acaciolo
04-20-2014, 11:22 AM
getting ready to take my new delorean in to my trusted local mechanic who is going to update some items for me (stainless clutch line, etc.) I've been noticing a fuel smell, so I did some inspection around the fuel pump and it is pretty ugly. When I filled the tank 2 days ago, I did have a bunch leak out, but I topped it off, which I know is a no no now. If you look at the pictures below, you will see gas puddling in around the fuel pump under the loose cover. (the cover was just hanging there.) the fuel lines are pretty ugly also. And if you look at the plastic around the fuel pump, it appears that the spillage did not come from the filler tube, but rather around the fuel pump. Clearly some work was done on this (given the delorean.com imprint.)

so...tell me what to order. I'd like to err on the safe side, so if a new pump is the way to go, then I'll do that. it really is pretty ugly in there!

note..the reflection on picture 7 at the bottom is a small puddle of gas down in the housing.

thanks
tony c

Patrick C
04-20-2014, 11:42 AM
The hoses, boot, etc look well past useful life. I recommend the new DMCH fuel pump kit and a thorough cleaning of the gas tank. It could be ugly in there.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10569-fuel-pumpsender-module.aspx

Jonathan
04-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Is the fuel pump assembly pushed down into the tank opening all the way? It seems to go farther down than you think to make a good seal.

+1 on clean-up time and replacing those hoses. Did you buy the Old Spice car??

acaciolo
04-20-2014, 01:15 PM
I'll check how far it is pushed in... But that area certainly looks like it could use some work!

I got this car. Truly amazing shape. Thanks to night flyer.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7234-Ebay-quot-Win-a-delorean-quot-raffle-ticket-sale

NightFlyer
04-20-2014, 05:22 PM
The hoses are factory stock/OEM. It's typical/normal for the outer composite (rubber/polymer) sheathing to have flaked off as yours have done. They are nylon cored underneath the braided woven fabric. The hoses more than likely are NOT leaking, but it's probably a good idea to change them out regardless. Just like the fuel accumulator, you'll want to use a few feet of 5/16" ID Gates MPI fuel injection hose and some fuel injection hose specific hose clamps. You should be able to get that at your favorite local auto parts retailer for less than $15. DO NOT attempt to un-thread the barbed fitting from the steel hard lines - instead, use a razor blade to cut the old hoses off the barbs.

The pump boot is the probable cause of your leak. Over-filling or topping off the tank has been known to push the rubber boot off the tank collar - especially where the boot is in a degraded condition. Until you're able to inspect the inside of the fuel tank, I'd strongly suggest that you DO NOT run the fuel tank low / empty, as you could potentially plug up the system with crud (degraded rubber). As your fuel pump is operable and functioning fine - why replace it? If you want to order something to put on the shelf so that you'll have it if the one you have dies, then DMCH's pump/sender combo is indeed a great and proven product, as Patrick mentioned - just make that you install it in conjunction with the new hoses and the external inline check valve that you already order from US Plastics, as the internal check valves on the pump/sender combo units are faulty (probably weren't designed for pressures of the K-jetronic system). But new rubber inside and out, a cleaning of the tank if necessary, and a new pick-up filter on the pump will have your running good as new for the indefinite future. For the pick-up and return hoses inside the tank (if applicable - depends what pump you have in there), I highly recommend that you use a hose that was designed for in-tank application, such as Gates Submersible Fuel Line Hose. Whatever hoses you decide to use, DO NOT use a teflon lined hose.

The fuel gauge sending unit was changed out at some point - that's what the delorean.com thing is. It's a reproduction unit from DMCH. It's no longer available and was known for being extremely flaky and difficult to seal without extensive modification. If the sender isn't sealed good, it could also be the source of your fuel leak - as I said, these units had a reputation for being difficult to seal properly. DMCH's new solution is the pump/sender combo unit, and the sending unit function on it is quite accurate, smooth (as opposed to jumpy), and reliable. If you're unhappy with how the fuel gauge is currently acting (jumpy/bobbing, immediately drops to 3/4 mark or tops out at 3/4 mark instead of full, etc) then replacement of everything with the new pump/sender combo is your best option.

The pump/sender combo is somewhat pricy at $419, but it's a worthwhile upgrade/solution. To help offset the cost somewhat, I believe that DMCH will buy back the sending unit that's install in your car, if I'm not mistaken. Check with Dave S from DMCMW to be certain about this.

I'm running the pump/sender combo on my car (my original pump died from bad fuel contamination) and couldn't be happier with it.

If you do elect to install the pump/sender combo unit, make sure when installing that you follow the provided instructions precisely and make sure that the anti-static rod in the tank isn't interfering with the float for the sending unit before sealing it up. Also, the pump/sender combo unit comes complete with new hoses and clamps, so if you do go that route, you won't have to purchase them separately.

Even though we've probably identified the source of your fuel leak problem, you'll still want to remove the fill hose/clutch master access panel to fully inspect the fill hose and to make sure that it's properly (tightly) clamped to the metal fill neck (as the hose has been known to sometimes slip off for unknown/random reasons).

Have fun and best of luck with everything! :thumbup:

DeLorean03
04-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Well, after that book ^^^^

I recommend the fuel pump combo unit that Patrick mentioned earlier. I have it, and it is well worth the peace of mind. Nice and quiet, good and strong pump. And after 9 years, my fuel gauge is accurate.

All in good fun, btw, Nightflyer :P. Good advice - just lots of it (not a bad thing) :thumbup:.

NightFlyer
04-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Well, after that book ^^^^

I recommend the fuel pump combo unit that Patrick mentioned earlier. I have it, and it is well worth the peace of mind. Nice and quiet, good and strong pump. And after 9 years, my fuel gauge is accurate.

All in good fun, btw, Nightflyer :P. Good advice - just lots of it (not a bad thing) :thumbup:.

Oh, don't worry - I'll show you good fun, DeLorean03... :tongue:

DeLorean03
04-20-2014, 05:41 PM

We need to get some Sexual Assault Prevention and Response classes in here ...:gun:

Patrick C
04-20-2014, 06:00 PM
just make that you install it in conjunction with the new hoses and the external inline check valve that you already order from US Plastics

External check valve is now included with the DMCH kit.

NightFlyer
04-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Not knowing what value they include with the kit, I'd stick with the SMC valve from US Plastics, as it's a single solid brass body, has stainless internals with viton seals, and is rated for holding a back pressure of 500psi. It should outlive everything else in the fuel system and is the 'cadillac' of check valves for this application. Just my honest opinion!

http://valves.specialtymfg.com/product/check-valves-brass-stainless-steel/410-series-piston-check-valve?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=85394

NightFlyer
04-20-2014, 08:14 PM
I wonder if DMCH is shipping the SMC valve with the pump/sender combo units?

Can anyone confirm?

"Comes complete with new fuel filter, external brass check valve, new fuel line to module hoses and installs quickly and easily with the fully illustrated instructions (low resolution PDF download)."

JRNY13
04-20-2014, 08:31 PM
I learned a hard lesson last year shortly after I took ownership of my car--don't top off a D. I too had gas spill up from the tank.

getting ready to take my new delorean in to my trusted local mechanic who is going to update some items for me (stainless clutch line, etc.) I've been noticing a fuel smell, so I did some inspection around the fuel pump and it is pretty ugly. When I filled the tank 2 days ago, I did have a bunch leak out, but I topped it off, which I know is a no no now. If you look at the pictures below, you will see gas puddling in around the fuel pump under the loose cover. (the cover was just hanging there.) the fuel lines are pretty ugly also. And if you look at the plastic around the fuel pump, it appears that the spillage did not come from the filler tube, but rather around the fuel pump. Clearly some work was done on this (given the delorean.com imprint.)

so...tell me what to order. I'd like to err on the safe side, so if a new pump is the way to go, then I'll do that. it really is pretty ugly in there!

note..the reflection on picture 7 at the bottom is a small puddle of gas down in the housing.

thanks
tony c

Patrick C
04-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Not knowing what value they include with the kit, I'd stick with the SMC valve from US Plastics, as it's a single solid brass body, has stainless internals with viton seals, and is rated for holding a back pressure of 500psi. It should outlive everything else in the fuel system and is the 'cadillac' of check valves for this application. Just my honest opinion!

http://valves.specialtymfg.com/product/check-valves-brass-stainless-steel/410-series-piston-check-valve?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=85394

It's the same valve.

Jonathan
04-20-2014, 08:42 PM

We need to get some Sexual Assault Prevention and Response classes in here ...:gun:

Whoa, for a minute there I thought all these comments went together. :eek: Not a nice mental image.

NightFlyer
04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
It's the same valve.

Ha, ha - so Steve and James used my research on the topic, eh...

I'm glad that they're shipping the SMC valve with the kit, as they could have cheaped-out and shipped an inferior chinese made plastic bodied valve if they wanted to.

So Tony will have two SMC valves if he orders the pump/sender combo kit. He could always offer his spare for sale on the forum :smile:

acaciolo
04-20-2014, 10:41 PM
I'll be glad to send that valve for free to anyone that needs it! it is the least I can do for all the help you've given me!

I'll be calling dave at dmcmw tomorrow to order a kit. this solves the flaky gas gauge problem also.

thanks again for all the help.

tony