PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body SpecialT Auto Rubber Interior Insulation

Ikeaboy1
04-20-2014, 11:34 PM
I read several members have used this rubber insulation kit in their cars interiors as a replacement for the stinky yellow foam. I ordered a set, but damn, it smells too. Not musty like the yellow stuff, but really, well, rubbery. Not an awful smell, but a strong one. I haven't installed them yet, but my question is to those who have: will the smell go away over time? John said these are made to order and dropped shipped, so I imagine this rubber is fresh, and I think it will likely out gas over time and the smell will fade. Anyone who have this kit experience this? I'd hate to install it and have to yank it out again if the interior of my car forever smells like a tire factory.

Ikeaboy1
04-21-2014, 09:12 AM
An update to this. I unboxed the kit and left the rubber sitting out in my basement last night. I have my thermostat programmed to heat the house about 15 minutes before my alarm goes off(it's a super gentle way to wake yourself up, I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who struggles to get out of bed). The second the air started circulating this morning, the whole house smelled like a Goodyear dealership. It instantly woke me from my sleep. I've decided I will not be installing this kit in my car, and I wouldn't suggest anyone else does, either. I see little chance that smell will fade enough not to be overwhelming in the confines of the passenger compartment.

Bitsyncmaster
04-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Try setting it out in the sun for a few days.

Rich_NYS
04-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I removed my foam & rubber from the parcel shelf & bulkhead area and not sure what to replace it with.

Please post with whatever you decide to use....thanks.

Spittybug
04-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Spray it with Fabreeze and lay it out for a while. The rubber mold release agents should evaporate away....

Ikeaboy1
04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
I'll try all of the above to see if I can knock the smell down. I'd love to be able to use the kit.

MML
04-21-2014, 07:49 PM
When I removed the old foam under the parcel shelf I replaced it with the foam you put under your household carpets, it was roughly the same thickness. I put a piece of linoleum on top of that. Did the trick nicely!

john 05141
04-22-2014, 05:07 AM
I have this insulation rubber from John too. I put it in there a few years ago. When I unwrapped it it felt and smelled like a divers suit.
But when you put new tires on your car, put it in your garage it will smell too for a few days.

But no worries, I put it in there and not worth mentioning something smells in the car, and it is certainly way less a problem than the old yellow foam. So you will not notice any rubber smell when it is in there.
The only remark I had is that you need to stuff the holes the rubber pad has to fit. It does need some trimming with a sharp knife. I have a set of speaker back there so I had to make holes for the magnets too.

I did not drive the car without any insulation to compare the difference, but do not expect a quit car like a modern daily driver, it has not such a big impact, but I am sure it is better than the yellow one.

Jan

jawn101
04-22-2014, 11:42 PM
When I removed the old foam under the parcel shelf I replaced it with the foam you put under your household carpets, it was roughly the same thickness. I put a piece of linoleum on top of that. Did the trick nicely!

+1 on carpet pad. I used Dynamat in place of the foam, with a thin layer of carpet pad on top to add some "cushiony-ness" and it is perfect. In fact, the small amounts of pad you will need are likely free at your local Lowes, etc. There will just be scraps from the (and right by the) cutting machine that they won't charge you for.

krs09
04-24-2014, 11:21 AM
I removed all my old stinky foam and replaced it with more modern jute. About 5 times thicker than the old foam and has no smell at all. Extra cushion and slighty better sound proofing but not nearly as good as dynamat im sure but didnt have the funds for the dynamat. Any GM dealer can cut you a good piece for a low cost. I had to cut and glued (used high strength 3m spray glue) all my pieces but I did have the carpets out for a good cleaning anyway so while I was in there. Turned out great!:thumbup2:

jawn101
04-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Also, for what it's worth - when you go to remove the old padding, there will be loads left stuck to the fiberglass with old glue. Never fear. Spray it down (and I mean SATURATED) with Kaboom foaming cleaner or Scrubbing Bubbles. Wait an hour and just wipe the whole mess up - cleaner, glue, old foam and all. The fiberglass will be sparkling clean and no scraping required. Plus you'll kill off any nasty germs that were living there.

Rich_NYS
04-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Did you guys remove everything in the bulkhead area also? I pulled out everything I saw. I think there's more under the carpet around the wheel wells, I'll probably look under there this weekend.

outatym2001
05-05-2014, 03:50 AM
Ikeaboy1
I have that kit installed in my DeLorean and I can assure you those strong odors will dissipate. The neoprene rubber must be brand new in the kit you received and that is why the odor is so strong. Just wait a while before installing if you are concerned.
How long is a while I don’t know exactly.
I have pictures of the kit after installation in the thread below and I don’t mention any strong odors because I didn’t notice any. In fact I have to put my nose directly against the rubber to notice any odor.

New carpet, soundproofing, and dynamat – any tips?
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?439-New-carpet-soundproofing-and-dynamat-any-tips