PDA

View Full Version : Electrical new kenwoo radio or modified craig?

acaciolo
04-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Looking for opinions. I'd like to do a system in my new delorean, but wanted your opinion.

I think I will build some small speakers pods for the kickwell (6.5") and put the tweeters in the dash for better imaging.

I probably won't put anything in the rear other than an 8" sub in the cubby. I'll use a small alpine 3 channel amp to power everything. (I did a similar system in my FJ cruiser and love it.) So that part is easy.

My big decision is the head unit. I can have an aux input port added and rca premp level outputs added to the stock craig for around $350 (including expensive international shipping.) this would give me the oem look and the ability to use pandora, etc from my iphone.

I could also just use the inputs on the amp and plug the iphone in directly, but I really want a dash mounted volume control. The JL audio amp actually has a remote knob for overall level, so I could use that amp and hide the knob somewhere.

OR

I could just get this kenwood unit http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Mobile_Video/KIV-BT901 for under $300. has a nice screen that I could display a DMC logo, and has HD radio which like.

so...oem craig modified. amp with remote volume. or the kenwood. functionality wise, the kenwood is best. but how much am I bastardizing this by putting this in?

thanks!

tony c

Mike F
04-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I guess it just depends on what your overall goal is with the car; originality or functionality. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing if you go aftermarket, so long as you consider a replacement radio panel with the DIN cutout. You can always go back to stock with that, but once you cut your factory piece that's it (unless you replace it). Considering that you are planning on such a rather extensive upgrade path with the speakers, iPhone integration, etc. I'd say you would get more satisfaction out of an aftermarket deck. Even with the upgrades, the stock Craig just won't give you the functionality of the Kenwood you are looking at. That being said, you will have an obviously aftermarket, non "period correct" deck in there, so if the non-stock appearance will bug you, then stick with the Craig. Since you're planning on the kick panel pods, a totally stock appearance may not be that much of a concern anyway. So...simply based on the things you mention doing and wanting out of the system, I'd say go with the Kenwood...WITH the caveat that you go with the DIN panel and not cut your dash. Just my $0.02.

:)

NightFlyer
04-21-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm completely unfamiliar with how the iphone (or any multifunction smartphone) works (yeah, I'm old school - give me a motorola brick phone and I'm happy), but usually DAPs (digital audio players) have a volume control on the device, thus whenever using the auxiliary device on the car's audio system, wouldn't you be able to control the volume from the device? If that's right, then you could use an external amp with auxiliary input and you shouldn't have to touch the Craig at all - you'd only ever use the Craig for the AM/FM tuner and audio cassettes (if you still use them).

IMHO, the Craig is the only radio that looks right in the DeLorean (I don't even like the way that the ASI was rigged into the car, as the bezel/trim makes it look aftermarket). But this is something that's completely subjective and you should do what's right for you.

ccurzio
04-21-2014, 10:29 PM
yeah, I'm old school - give me a motorola brick phone and I'm happy

I STILL have my DynaTac.

PB Co
04-22-2014, 09:28 AM
I've done a few DIN installs for friends in various vehicles and one of the most interesting I had ever scene was from JVCs Kameleon line with later releases spelled properly as Chameleon. The greatest feature of these was that the head unit would completely black out when powered off with no visible writing, chrome, or raised buttons. The early versions have illumination in a greenish blue. Later versions have full video touch screens. Try searching for KD LX10 or KD AVX44.

So maybe not the solution you're looking for, it can be a pain to source a NOS headunit from the early 2000s, but at least it would match a whole lot better than choices now. There are intelligent boxes that hook into old aux inputs, usually giving you the option of controlling from headunit or device. So that is still a way to go to stay stock.