PDA

View Full Version : Engine Question about spark plug wire from coil to cap.

Totally 80s
04-24-2014, 11:18 PM
I bought a tune up kit from Josh (DPI) and I'm in the process of putting all the new spark plug wires on the new cap. When I got to the wire from the coil to the cap it is different from the one I have on the car now. The one on the car now has a metal sheath around it with a ground wire that goes to the intake manifold. The cord from josh is basically just a regular spark plug wire with no metal sheath. What am I supposed to do? Do I need to ground this wire? If not why is my old wire grounded. If I do need to ground this wire how do I do this?
-alex

Delorean Industries
04-25-2014, 12:12 AM
I bought a tune up kit from Josh (DPI) and I'm in the process of putting all the new spark plug wires on the new cap. When I got to the wire from the coil to the cap it is different from the one I have on the car now. The one on the car now has a metal sheath around it with a ground wire that goes to the intake manifold. The cord from josh is basically just a regular spark plug wire with no metal sheath. What am I supposed to do? Do I need to ground this wire? If not why is my old wire grounded. If I do need to ground this wire how do I do this?
-alex

Evening Alex, The ground around the coil to distributor cap wire is not required. This is usually added due to interference issues or just because someone thought it was a good idea. The factory configuration did not have this.

Totally 80s
04-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Evening Alex, The ground around the coil to distributor cap wire is not required. This is usually added due to interference issues or just because someone thought it was a good idea. The factory configuration did not have this.

Interesting. What through me off was I was using this guide here...http://delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com/2012/12/putting-it-all-back-together-and.html

And even in his pictures he has the coil wire with sheath so I assumed everyone had it. Thanks for the information, hopefully it will help someone else in the future who has one of these coil wires.

-Alex

OverlandMan
04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Interesting. What through me off was I was using this guide here...http://delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com/2012/12/putting-it-all-back-together-and.html

And even in his pictures he has the coil wire with sheath so I assumed everyone had it. Thanks for the information, hopefully it will help someone else in the future who has one of these coil wires.

-Alex

I had the same metal sheath coil to dist wire with the ground. I replaced it with the set from Josh. Now if I could only get that last fuel connection done... 8)