PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Door weatherstrip

Viper Guy
04-27-2014, 03:17 PM
I see DeLoreans that have the "seal" that runs between the top of the door opening and the center roof panel half missing or jagged and distracts from the cleanliness of the car. Mine was no exception. These seals are only visible when the doors are closed as a gap filler.

I have a fix that is cheap and quick. I had some lawn edging material that is black plastic, reasonably flexible and thin, but is stiff enough to hold its shape. This stuff comes in a roll, is about 5" to 6" wide, about 1/16" thick, is in a roll about 20 feet long, and can be cut with scissors. Anyway, I cut a length about
1 1/2 inches wide the length of the top door opening and just wedged it between the old piece of what was left and the door skin leaving just enough sticking out to fill the gap and barely tuck under the roof panel - maybe 5/8" or so?

I just did this yesterday so I'll have to see how it holds. If it slips out of position, I'll glue it in with weatherstrip adhesive. Regardless, it sure improves the looks and only takes about a half hour. As a plus, this can be removed and replaced anytime if needed.

Dangermouse
04-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Pics, of course ;)