PDA

View Full Version : Engine How to install Hervey's cold air intake.

Totally 80s
04-27-2014, 04:06 PM
I've been wrestling with this thing for an hour. I'm probably a moron but how do you install this thing. I've got the part that goes to the airbox on, that was easy but how do you install the floppy side to the plastic L pipe? Photos help appreciated.

Tillsy
04-27-2014, 06:11 PM
I've been wrestling with this thing for an hour. I'm probably a moron but how do you install this thing. I've got the part that goes to the airbox on, that was easy but how do you install the floppy side to the plastic L pipe? Photos help appreciated.

I presume Hervey's is similar/same as all the other vendors...

I couldn't get mine on the L pipe either, and for that matter I discovered the L pipe wasn't connected properly to the pipe inside the pontoon anyway, so I removed the L pipe and connected it directly to the pipe in the pontoon.

Tillsy
04-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Only picture I have of mine with me that shows this - look at the three progress images on left...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=17185

Totally 80s
04-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys, yeah basically jamming the accordion end into the pontoon is the way to go. I was struggling trying to put it into that L pipe.

SS Spoiler
04-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Alex, just worked on this saturday. I don't have the Hervy pipe but it's probably the same one at an auto parts store. Take the end that doesn't
have a fitting on it and stretch it out a bit . Now take the elbow and "screw" it into the flex pipe, it will hold solid. The other end fits snug into the air box, and your done. Be sure the elbow is indexed to slide into the pontoon easy. Good luck

aipri
04-29-2014, 12:37 AM
I didn't bother with the elbow portion and put the intake hose directly in, it works fine and stays put better that way.

Trstno1
02-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, yeah basically jamming the accordion end into the pontoon is the way to go. I was struggling trying to put it into that L pipe.

Do you take out the innards of the pontoon and just jam the intake hose into the pontoon?

Josh
02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Take the L pipe out of the pontoon and throw it in the garbage. Then just put the intake tube into the hole in the pontoon.

Trstno1
02-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Ok......disregard the last post. After some head scratching and much cussing I have figured it out. It didn't occur to me to take the L pipe off of the old hose..... Duh :smashfreak:

But what about the air valve inlet? Does it just not get used anymore? I'm not sure I understand exactly what it did before? My thoughts is that the valve let hot air into the system before. Im just not sure why that would have been advantageous.....

Josh
02-27-2015, 03:31 PM
it was intended for cold starts, to warm the engine up faster. Specifically in the winter.

Very few people drive their Delorean in cold weather nor does or ever did that setup work very well.

Trstno1
02-27-2015, 03:33 PM
it was intended for cold starts, to warm the engine up faster. Specifically in the winter.

Very few people drive their Delorean in cold weather nor does or ever did that setup work very well.

Ha! So what you are saying is that my chances of selling that part is next to zero.

Thanks for the info!