PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body POR15 alternative for extremely small amount

jackb
04-28-2014, 01:14 AM
When I had my brake lines off the other month to replace the hoses, a small amount of brake fluid dripped on the top of my front shock mount. I didn't notice it until a few days later and it had already softened/bubbled up the frame coating on that spot.
The total area affected is maybe the size of two quarters.

POR15, aside from being expensive, once you open it it doesn't last forever.
Is there a cheaper, multiple-use alternative I can use?
My initial thought is to hit it with a wire brush, and some rustoleum primer and topcoat, but I wanted to see if anyone here had a better idea or advises not to use that.

Advice?

(edit, can a mod please add a question mark to the thread title?)

tommyrich
04-28-2014, 06:54 AM
Rust encapsulator from Easwood. Not quite as good, but it comes in a spray can and has a long shelf life.
Tom

PB Co
04-28-2014, 02:10 PM
There is always rust oleum Smoke Grey which I have been told is a near dead match in color. Keep in mind it is still just paint, and not a product specifically designed to isolate existing rust.

David T
04-28-2014, 02:44 PM
There is always rust oleum Smoke Grey which I have been told is a near dead match in color. Keep in mind it is still just paint, and not a product specifically designed to isolate existing rust.

POR -15 is intended to be used over rust to prevent it from further rusting and to provide a good surface to cover with paint. If the metal is not rusty just sand it to feather the edges and rough up the surface and cover it with a good paint like Rustoleum. If you want to color match then spray over that with some Smoke Grey.

Jeff K
04-28-2014, 03:16 PM
If you use plastic saran wrap, you can reseal POR-15. I've done it. Not sure how long that works, I think I used it about 8 months later.

POR-15 has a crazy bond. I got some on my concrete and it was hell to remove.

Jeff

pezzonovante88
04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
If you use plastic saran wrap, you can reseal POR-15. I've done it. Not sure how long that works, I think I used it about 8 months later.

POR-15 has a crazy bond. I got some on my concrete and it was hell to remove.

Jeff

I tried to use it about 5 months after using saran wrap and it was rock hard. Maybe I didn't do it right, but I was told by the distributor that it doesn't last long after being opened.

Jeff K
04-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Maybe I got lucky, or I'm remembering the time frame different... Ahh.. I'm getting old! :confused2:
Jeff

DeloreanJoshQ
04-28-2014, 06:34 PM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/16080Z/10002/-1

This is what I use. Very close to the original frame color...

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/352/352-16080Z_2.jpg

dn010
04-28-2014, 08:12 PM
It is not my intention to begin a debate here but in my experience POR-15 sucks; it has never held up to what they claim.

What I do recommend as well as have put to the test over the past 5 years in the New York snow and weather & to this day has not failed - KBS coatings. $17 for an 8oz can plus shipping.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/RustSeal.html

Nicholas R
04-28-2014, 09:29 PM
It is not my intention to begin a debate here but in my experience POR-15 sucks; it has never held up to what they claim.

What I do recommend as well as have put to the test over the past 5 years in the New York snow and weather & to this day has not failed - KBS coatings. $17 for an 8oz can plus shipping.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/RustSeal.html

I LOVE KBS! I've used it all over the place. Hey used to have shelves of it at the Smyth Automotive Parts Plus stores in Cincinnati. Whatever colors or sizes they didn't have they could always order in. The rust seal combined with the rust blast prep always gave me really good results.

jackb
04-29-2014, 12:21 AM
The KBS coating looks like good stuff. I'll compare it further to POR15 if I have a bigger project to coat.

Jegs has a 2oz aerosol can of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator for only $6 with free shipping, so I went with that. It's a price I can stand for a job with small. It's black, but I don't care excessively about that, I'll probably just hit it on top of that with some regular rustoleum.

I'll update this thread with my thoughts on how well it does the job and holds up.

Delorean3610
04-29-2014, 03:09 PM
If you seal up the Por-15 well and put it in the freezer it keeps longer.