PDA

View Full Version : Brake loud drilled rotors

Gfrank
04-28-2014, 09:31 PM
I had posted about a noise the other day I couldn't find. Well I found it. Its coming from the drilled slotted rotors the previous owner installed. In the month or so now that ive had the car, its been in the drive way, and with all the rain the rotors had gotten rusty, I've driven all of 15miles. Drivers side wheel bearing had been loose. So tonight after finding this noise, I removed both rotors, cleaned all the rust etc etc, leveled out the pads and tighten everything up. Anyways this video was pre cleaning, now the noise is much better, still around when driving but I've got a good squeak more common at speeds less at 40mph. comes and goes
This somewhat normal out of the slotted rotors? and any suggestion's on how to shut them up? Can live with a bit of rotor noise but the squeak i'll need to figure out.

hope this video link works...

http://s57.photobucket.com/user/garys_blue_05/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim179EC33D-D4CD-45A5-88D9-0E4BB2146AD3_zpsf1d99048.mp4.html

thanks all!

Jonathan
04-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Could you post a photo showing the view down on to the caliper, like this example?

I would think it wouldn't make any more noise than a non-drilled rotor unless something was catching on the holes as they went by. And what came to mind were the ends of the anti-rattle springs somehow. Or maybe the anti-squeal shims perhaps?

Are the calipers factory original? When you had them apart and put them back together, would sort of hardware did you have available to use?

Gfrank
04-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Could you post a photo showing the view down on to the caliper, like this example?

I would think it wouldn't make any more noise than a non-drilled rotor unless something was catching on the holes as they went by. And what came to mind were the ends of the anti-rattle springs somehow. Or maybe the anti-squeal shims perhaps?

Are the calipers factory original? When you had them apart and put them back together, would sort of hardware did you have available to use?

Thanks, if the weather holds out tomorrow ill likley have it apart again and shoot a video, looking at your photo tho. I think I'm missing the anti rattel clips. This is the first delorean I've had apart so
I'm not sure what all lives in it, but I had thought something should be making the pads return away from the rotor. Mine have nothing, pads are just chilling aside from the 2 retaining pins

Gfrank
04-28-2014, 10:09 PM
I do believe them to be original calipers

Jonathan
04-28-2014, 10:24 PM
No worries, I've had my car for 7 years and still get the odd "what the heck is that doing in there?" surprise.

Here's a couple more photos of the front brakes hardware kit. One photo shows the anti-squeal shims (still in the baggies) and the other shows the anti-rattle springs arranged approximately how they would sit on your pads/calipers.

The shims go between the edge of the piston and the pad. One on each caliper half, four total for the front of the car. They get installed with the arrow imprinted on them pointing in the direction of forward travel of the wheel it is on.

The hardware on the rears is just the rods and cotter pins if I'm not mistaken, i.e. no anti-squeal shims nor anti-rattle springs.

SS Spoiler
04-28-2014, 10:39 PM
I just did a brake job and got the same twisted wire puzzles. Car runs fine without them. [from a guy wearing hearing aids]

Jonathan
04-29-2014, 07:43 AM
I just did a brake job and got the same twisted wire puzzles. Car runs fine without them. [from a guy wearing hearing aids]

You're right about the car running fine without them. From what I've seen with new brake parts versus old ones, you'll see a benefit (less noise) from replacement pads or parts that are "full size." Meaning, if the pads are thinner, or shorter, there can be some extra space in the slots they go in that allow them to clack around in there. Having the anti-rattle springs installed helps to keep these low manufacturing tolerance pads in place without rattling around.

My car didn't have the "wire puzzles" when I got it but I put those on a season or two ago when I did my brakes. I've been thinking about a similar spring/wire for the rears as I get some noises every so often back there now too. It sounds like the rears never had these anti-rattle springs originally. I'm going to put new pads on the rears first though.

Dangermouse
04-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Isn't it recommended that the leading edges of the brake pads are chamfered to reduce the noise with slotted rotors?