PDA

View Full Version : General I need a longer bolt to get running again.

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 05:23 PM
1-4-1 Air Induction System-Part #:102286 SCREW M7

I waited 5 days and 12 bucks shipping and the bolt is to short. Its the one center on the W pipe that goes through and threads into the butterfly assembly. The last one fell out causing all kinds of mayhem. I can hold the W pipe flush and pull the Butterfly assy and tight as they will mate "even without the plastic and rubber o ring" and the bolt just falls into the hole.
I took the W pipe off and checked the threads on the butterfly/assy and it might take 2or 3 turns but the bolt catches and threads down into it.

The entire bolt is 75 mm long with only approx 22-23 threaded. I need at least another 5mm. even a little longer that 80 would be ok cause i can always add more washers.

Where can I begin my search to find one? Any local chains might have such a thing? Thanks

Bitsyncmaster
04-29-2014, 05:34 PM
M7 bolts are hard to find and bolts longer than 70 mm are also hard to find. Put both requirements together and I don't think you will get one. I hope someone finds a source but you may need to go to an M8 bolt.

NightFlyer
04-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Here's a couple sources for an m7x100mm bolt:

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/BOLT--SCREW-Right--Right-Side/6675249/05125741AA.html

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/Hex-bolt-with-washer-M7X100-Z1/1262122/07119901683.html

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Flange-screw/1196695/985324.html

http://volvopartslisle.com/OEM-Volvo-Part-Number-985324-Flange-Screw

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Wow Thanks! One is $1.28 and the other 5 bucks :headscratch:

Before I knee jerk and quickly order I am going to wait and see what others might say. Nobody else has had this issue?

opethmike
04-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Before I knee jerk and quickly order I am going to wait and see what others might say. Nobody else has had this issue?

When I had K-Jet, I had a similar issue, and I went to an M8 bolt.

82DMC12
04-29-2014, 06:08 PM

Can't order from DMCMW? They have pretty much everything.

Andy

Jeffu
04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I was pretty much in the same boat last year. After a complete rebuild, that stupid M7 bolt was the ONLY bolt somehow managed to lose! I searched all over Boise trying to source a replacement. I could not even get a thread stock of redi-rod through Grainger to make my own. Ultimately, I had Toby overnight me one from DMCNW. At $19 that now is the single most expensive bolt on my engine...LOL.

Like Dave and Mike mention, you might just want to tap out the butterfly housing to accept an M8 bolt. I chose not to go down that path only because I was on a time crunch, otherwise I would have tapped mine out. I feel your pain. Good luck with it!

skipwater
04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
I get most of my bolts from boltdepot.com a link to 7mm https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_tap_bolts_Zinc_plated_class_8.8_steel_7mm_x _1.0mm.aspx

Skip

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Those on bolt depo only go to 50mm unless I am missing something. I think the next length is 100mm which is what I need.

Bitsyncmaster
04-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Here's a couple sources for an m7x100mm bolt:

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/BOLT--SCREW-Right--Right-Side/6675249/05125741AA.html

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/Hex-bolt-with-washer-M7X100-Z1/1262122/07119901683.html

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Flange-screw/1196695/985324.html

http://volvopartslisle.com/OEM-Volvo-Part-Number-985324-Flange-Screw

I've been corrected:thumbup:

SS Spoiler
04-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Ace is the place?

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Well its something for everyone to check. 75mm imo is on the short side and can vibrate out. No clue when mine fell out but slowly but surely the butterfly assembly moved backwards until where the plastic ring and the o rings are opened up enough to kill the engine. Whats odd "and fortunate" is that the car ran great until I parked it. 3 hours later apon restart I had a backfire and the engine would not start again. So I was lucky as hell it moved on restart and not while I was driving.

Here is something else that bothers me. Not bolted up but if I position the W pipe flush where it goes. Then move the butterfly assembly flush with it. Now if I push DOWN on the air meter assembly so its flush it PULLS the butterfly assembly a little forwards creating this gap. NOTE- In the pic I DO NOT have the O rings or plastic ones in place.
I am guessing that 7mm bolt is going to hold the W and butter/assy together but when you put on the air filter its going to push down on the air meter and ... BTW- This is exactly what happens when that 7mm bolt falls out.

First things first...Going to pay 6-10 bucks shipping and wait a week for a dollar bolt. Yeeehaaaaa the joys of owning a classic car.

Nicholas R
04-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Ace is the place?

ACE has a very small M7 selection. In the rest of the world, M7 is a very atypical screw size. Just like the M9 in hype shiftronic pivot, the M9s that hold on a DeLorean flywheel, or the M11s that hold on my flywheel. All very unusual. The flywheels make sense though since they don't want you using bolts not made for that application.

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I posted in the wanted section but if anyone has Part #:102772 GSKT-LWR HSG/T/V. That the black thick gasket betreen the butteryfly assy and the air meter. Mine appears to be not be leaking but does look old.
If anyone has one pm me.

Ron
04-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Since the new bolt sticks out of the W pipe and it starts within a thread or so in the butterfly assembly, it sounds like an alignment problem?? Try loosening/removing the two lower bracket screws (going through #6 and #20 (http://store.delorean.com/c-334-1-4-1-air-induction-system.aspx)) to get some slop and install the bolt....then adjust/bend the brackets, change/remove any spacers between them and the intake manifold, whatever it takes to relieve any major stress with it all installed.

ACE has a very small M7 selection.The one here has M7 threaded rods and nuts...

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
I looked at it a dozen times. It just is not long enough. The W pipe can only go so far forwards and flush. I can pull that butt/assy and mate it flush and tight. And then even take off the rubber O rings and that plastic spacer which is a few MM and its still short.

"The one here has M7 threaded rods and nuts" I have not search the links provided on the 1st page but it needs to be 100mm. Thow 1 and a lock washer in the mail and I will zap PP you the cash.

Bitsyncmaster
04-29-2014, 07:48 PM
If the stock bolt is short it would explain why the pot metal threads get messed up. You can go really long if you drill that pot metal all the way through and tap through. I drilled mine all the way through and then you don't have to use a lot of flat washers with longer bolts. Only problem with my M8 bolt is I have to remove that small bolt in front to get a socket on the M8. The good thing with an M8 is you can get stainless steel.

Ron
04-29-2014, 07:51 PM
OK...How fa$t do you want it?

I just don't see how it can be too short if the threads in the butterfly are OK :headscratch:

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 08:14 PM
This is one of those wtf moments. I can put the bolt in the W pipe and see how much sticks out.When I go to mate it with the butt/fly you can get a peak and it SEEMS like if flush its long enough.Especially with the o rings off.But in practice when you start turning the bolt it just spins.Its not hitting anything.I just fought with it for 10 minutes. The sob aint going in! The threads on the butterfly it take maybe 3 flicks of the wrist till the bolt bites.Maybe ,I dunno 3mm or so..... Its gotta be the depth it takes to take hold is just to deep for the bolt length.
I know you got to go up some mountains to get it. No big rush but in the next week would be nice.

Ron
04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
PP?? No way -- I don't trust you!

You would have to bite the bullet and go after an unknown number of washers anyway...so, why don't you go to Ace and pick up a 7mm tap and drill bit set (or 8mm if needed) to match one of the bolts NF pointed to (if they don't stock them)?

kings1527
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Ok, I searched high and low all over the southland and hired a guide to check both Canada and South America, and nothing. Until I came across this website:

http://store.delorean.com/p-6434-screw-m7.aspx :giggle:

Is going through a DMC dealer of your choice not an option? I'm guessing this is a time sensitive issue? The exact bolt you need is listed as NOS. No tapping required.

Good luck!

NightFlyer
04-29-2014, 10:47 PM
If 100mm is too long, you could always use a bolt cutter or cutting wheel to shorten it to the length you desire.

JIMJAM
04-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Good grief.
I ordered TWO of those,payed for 3 day UPS and 6 days later they arrived today. It is not LONG enough.That is the correct bolt but in my situation and many others who contacted me what happens is the threads on the butterfly get stripped.Some go to a larger diameter bolt. Its one of those many "single little things" that when it fails the dam car will not run. In my case the bolt needs only a few turns before it catches then its a good strong bite. But its not long enough. Add the washer,the plastic ring and the rubber ring and there aint no way in hell its going to belong enough. The proper thing to do would be to fix with a proper 7 mm Helicoil. I have never done that and stand a better chance of making it worse.Besides the black rubber gasket that sits betreen the buterfly and the air meter is unobtainable. I would need to take it off and again take the chance of mucking it up.
Thats why I just want to try and slightly longer bolt.

Ron
04-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Ahh, when you were saying take a bite or take hold, I thought you meant the threads starting... Sorry. I'd go get a 8mm tap and matched drill bit, slightly longer bolt, washers, and, be done with it since it's definitely stripped. You have a good pilot hole and nothing to match but getting the length fairly close...

NightFlyer
04-29-2014, 11:43 PM
OK - Found it for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Hex-Bolts-MANY-SIZE-M7-M8-1-0-1-25-10MM-12MM-16MM-20MM-25MM-30MM-40MM-X-/261264792775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cd4985cc7

You can select a grade 8.8 m7 x 80mm bolt from the drop down menu for $5.75 plus $1 shipping = $6.75

The stated length is excluding the head, so the 80mm should hopefully be perfect for you!

As they are sold in pairs, you get two for that price. :thumbup:

Best luck!

NightFlyer
04-29-2014, 11:53 PM
If 80mm isn't long enough, then the final solution that I've got is to get a 100mm m7 threaded bar, cut off the access length (but leave enough to grab with a vice grip), and nut it, essentially turning the bolt into a stud:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M7-THREADED-BAR-ROD-STUDDING-BZP-Nyloc-Nuts-Washers-/270730462488

JIMJAM
04-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Ok I think we have a plan.
It does appear the butterfly is stripped.You can tighten the bolt and not pull it out but if you shake it side to side it pops out.
The solution is I am going to move up to a 8mm bolt. I understand its a common size so I will get the 8mm tap and matching drill bit. Then find a 8mm bolt the correct lenght.
I have never done it but with a good pilot hole already there I think I can get it done.
Man I can come up with some got good ideas.

Bitsyncmaster
04-30-2014, 05:06 AM
When you tap soft metal, don't force the tap if it starts to get hard to turn. Back it out and clean the chips off the tap. Keep doing that and take your time. Most of the time steel or cast iron can be tapped without that extra work but I never rush it. You don't want to break a tap off and ruin your day.

JIMJAM
04-30-2014, 10:52 AM
It is going to be a few days if not longer but where did you get the tap and matching drill bit? I was half asleep last night and saw a lot of full kits,a bunch of helicoils. Either online or local. I know I need 8mm but I see they are available in 8mm x 1.0...1.25...etc. Its that number I am not 100% certain what I need.

Bitsyncmaster
04-30-2014, 11:05 AM
It is going to be a few days if not longer but where did you get the tap and matching drill bit? I was half asleep last night and saw a lot of full kits,a bunch of helicoils. Either online or local. I know I need 8mm but I see they are available in 8mm x 1.0...1.25...etc. Its that number I am not 100% certain what I need.

Just go to a hardware store and buy the one tap and one drill you need. The tap should say what drill you need on the package. The end of the tap has a square shank but you can probably find a socket or open end wrench to use it.

NightFlyer
04-30-2014, 12:35 PM

The 1.0....1.25....etc represents the thread pitch (amount of space between each thread). So long as you match up the pitch of the tap with the pitch of the bolt that you end up getting, it doesn't matter what thread pitch you use.

Ex: If your tap is an m8 x 1.25, then you'll want your bolt to be m8 x 1.25 x whatever length you desire.

The most commonly used thread pitch on m8 bolts (and especially longer ones ie 80mm-100mm) is 1.25

Hope that helps :smile: