PDA

View Full Version : Engine Gaskets, & rusting stainless exhaust..?

dn010
04-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I did a search and found limited results online so here it is:

I am in the process of removing my original engine, I wanted to get a video of it running and fine tune it so I can sell it to someone else who may need it. Nonetheless, I'm ready to take the exhaust off - only it doesn't seem stainless anymore! The exhaust tips had some spots that looked like rust but a scotch-brite pad and its back to looking normal. However, my headers and pipes leading to the muffler as well as the muffler itself in some spots have dark rough areas that look like rust. I came across a thread on a UK site regarding this but it doesn't say much. Is there anything I can do about this or any way to prevent it?

Also, as the subject says, does anyone know where to get the gaskets that go between the pipes and headers to the exhaust? They are triangular and would hate to have to order these from the UK once I install the setup on my other engine...

Thoughts?

Thanks you all for your past & future help - Dan B.

andy blackmon
04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
There are several grades of stainless. Some of the lower grades can be cut with a torch, some you can pick up with a magnet, and several will rust if exposed to moisture. Stainless refrigerators for example look great indoors but most of them left outside will rust, the front is usually 304 stainless and the sides much lower. I do not know the standard that is used to call something stainless but just know that like most things in life all stainless is not the same. I suggest that before you pay good money for a stainless product you check the metal and if needed look on the web and it will tell you if it is truly 100% rust proof.
Andy B

Nicholas R
04-29-2014, 07:30 PM
I suggest that before you pay good money for a stainless product you check the metal and if needed look on the web and it will tell you if it is truly 100% rust proof.
Andy B

Just so we're clear, no stainless is 100% rust proof. It's stain-less steel as in it stains less than mild carbon steel. Some stainless steels actually rust pretty significantly. It's all based on the grade and composition. Still, when it comes to strength, corrosion resistance, and price, it's really hard to beat 304. :thumbup:

dn010
04-29-2014, 07:34 PM
This is the UK exhaust from stainless-exhaust, they state its 304 grade...

Rich
04-29-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm ready to take the exhaust off - only it doesn't seem stainless anymore! The exhaust tips had some spots that looked like rust but a scotch-brite pad and its back to looking normal. However, my headers and pipes leading to the muffler as well as the muffler itself in some spots have dark rough areas that look like rust. I came across a thread on a UK site regarding this but it doesn't say much. Is there anything I can do about this or any way to prevent it?

Working from back to front on an OEM exhaust:
- Exhaust tips are stainless
- Muffler is plated steel
- Pipe into muffler is stainless
- No info on crossover piping from manifolds to muffler and the cat
- Exhaust manifolds are cast iron

Take a magnet to anything you suspect. With type 304 stainless being non-magnetic you'll soon know what's stainless and what isn't. Pretty sure that the only stainless found on or in the car it T304, the most common flavor.

mluder
04-30-2014, 02:53 AM
Gaskets are available from all the DMC shops. I got mine from Toby up in Seattle, Washington.

Cheers
Steven

dn010
04-30-2014, 09:09 AM
I appreciate your responses, but just to clarify - I'm discussing the performance stainless exhaust that stainless-exhaust(.com) sells in the UK. The gaskets I'm referring to are the ones that go between the pipes and mufflers - not gaskets from headers/manifolds to heads. With that said, I've been unable to find any gaskets (they are 3-hole) that go between these pipes from any vender and I am curious if anyone else here in the US has come across these problems and has sourced these out without going back to the UK site and paying who knows what for the 4 gaskets as well as the shipping LOL. Thanks again guys.

mluder
04-30-2014, 12:06 PM
The gaskets I'm referring to are the ones that go between the pipes and mufflers - not gaskets from headers/manifolds to heads.

Sorry... Saw headers and stopped reading and assumed you meant header/manifold gaskets.

Cheers
Steven

Nicholas R
04-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Working from back to front on an OEM exhaust:
- Exhaust tips are stainless
- Muffler is plated steel
- Pipe into muffler is stainless
- No info on crossover piping from manifolds to muffler and the cat
- Exhaust manifolds are cast iron

Take a magnet to anything you suspect. With type 304 stainless being non-magnetic you'll soon know what's stainless and what isn't. Pretty sure that the only stainless found on or in the car it T304, the most common flavor.

Stock mufflers aren't plated steel, they too are stainless steel. They just discolor and rust due to the high temperatures and the caustic gasses that flow through them. If they were mild steel, there would be WAY less cars left with stock mufflers.

Rich
05-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Stock mufflers aren't plated steel, they too are stainless steel.

Thanks. You may be correct.

In that case it is made with a magnetic type of stainless steel instead of the non-magnetic stainless like the pipes going in and out of it are made with.