PDA

View Full Version : General DIN plate question

penciltester
05-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Hey guys

I just technically took ownership of 17019 today. I have the title, registration, etc.. but the seller is putting new clutch cylinders in. What I am wondering about is the original DIN plate. I read it would have to be modified to fit a new head unit or I would need to buy the "new" DIN plate. What would you have to modify on the original plate. Is the hole not wide enough for the new stereo, or is it somehow a depth issue.

Thanks again guys

On a side note. The lady on the other side of the desk at the DMV noticed the car and license plate request.

her: oh wow a DeLorean

me: yeah

her: your license will read...GRT SCOT

me: um... yeah

her: Oh my god that's awesome, hey guys check this out.

***employees crowd her terminal, conversations and jokes begin***

me 'in my head': Dear God what have I done. :p

Dangermouse
05-02-2014, 11:37 PM
If you have an original Craig or ASI radio then the console doesn't have the correct sized rectangular hole for a modern DIN radio.

You must then either cut out the hole yourself or replace the console with a new on that already has the rectangular hole professionally cut.

Even if you DIY, it is recommended to remove the console so metal shaving don't get into any of the switches below.

penciltester
05-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks!

Jonathan
05-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Congrats on getting your car! And neat story from the DMV... I can totally see that happening... especially the part about "now what have I done?!"

This is what the original bracket looks like. The head unit goes in the second opening down from the top. You can see the main issue is that the original radio (I had a Craig) used a small rectangular hole for the controls and tape deck section, but two small separate holes for the knobs to go through.

I don't remember off hand what the final width is of the DIN rectangle, but you obviously need to make to the two small knob holes plus the middle opening all one larger opening to fit a new head unit. Like Dermot said, taking it out is a better way to go, but will require some additional work to remove the items necessary to get it out. The bonus is that you might find some things going on behind there that need repair anyway, like a vacuum line or wire disconnected. You can also buy a replacement DIN bracket from DMC, which was the route I went with.

Shep did a nice write-up on removing the bracket and installing a new stereo if you search here for it.

Flicky
05-05-2014, 11:06 AM
While Johnathan touched on it there, the main reason for buying the new plate is that you can only get the new ones as DIN sized. So, if you cut your original you probably will be out of luck should you ever want to go back to the stock equipment.

dn010
05-05-2014, 11:44 AM
I cut mine back when I first got the car but the process left the metal looking wavy and jagged - the metal is very thin and from what I recall the cuts need to come pretty close to the sides as well as the top & bottom of the space you already have. After a while I opted to just buy the correct bracket. If you cut yours be careful in doing so, you don't want it turning out worse looking.

Jonathan
05-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Agreed on making a mess and the sharp edges.

On the Houston site, it shows you can still buy replacements of either. $206 for DIN and $343 for original.

One way to look at it is, if you are willing to cut yours, then you're acknowledging that you don't want to go back to original. And once you cut it, you can't go back to original with the one you had. Considering the price for the replacement, and that the originals are in non-replenished supply, you might want to consider finding a buyer for your original and the money you get would likely cover the cost of the DIN one. If you sell the original it's not available to you anymore just like it won't be if you cut it. With a buy and sell, you wouldn't need to cut anything and deplete the stock as well as potentially ending up with a jagged mess when you're done.