PDA

View Full Version : General Corroded Rim

Bitsyncmaster
05-12-2014, 02:19 PM
What company would put a new tire onto this rim?

I'm going to try power washing it and see how bad it is then.

By the way I had another place put bead sealer on it when it leaked with the old tires. They should have seen this corrosion also.

DMCMW Dave
05-12-2014, 03:12 PM
What company would put a new tire onto this rim?

I'm going to try power washing it and see how bad it is then.

By the way I had another place put bead sealer on it when it leaked with the old tires. They should have seen this corrosion also.

Is that a DeLorean wheel, or your Chevy?

NightFlyer
05-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Wow - that's unfortunate.

I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum wheel so badly corroded on the inner surface like that before...

Bitsyncmaster
05-12-2014, 06:32 PM
It's my driver side rear wheel on my D. I pressure washed it but then had to use a red fiber wheel on my drill to clean it all off. It does not seem to have pitted but in a few spots. The bead area looks new now so I don't expect any more leaking problems. I did not see the other wheels but they don't leak. Funny it's just that one wheel. Maybe the car sat at some time with that tire flat. The only place it shows damage is where the wheel weight clips dug into the aluminum but that area is not where the tire seals.

David T
05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
It's my driver side rear wheel on my D. I pressure washed it but then had to use a red fiber wheel on my drill to clean it all off. It does not seem to have pitted but in a few spots. The bead area looks new now so I don't expect any more leaking problems. I did not see the other wheels but they don't leak. Funny it's just that one wheel. Maybe the car sat at some time with that tire flat. The only place it shows damage is where the wheel weight clips dug into the aluminum but that area is not where the tire seals.

Do you have any pets that could have caused that and was it parked outside?

Bitsyncmaster
05-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Do you have any pets that could have caused that and was it parked outside?

Never thought of a dog lifting his leg on the wheel:rolleyes1:. Since I have owned the car it stays inside and no dogs in my house.

David T
05-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Never thought of a dog lifting his leg on the wheel:rolleyes1:. Since I have owned the car it stays inside and no dogs in my house.

Another way for it to corrode is to use Fix-A-Flat or something like it. That stuff has been banned by the FAA for use in airplanes because of the corrosion it causes.

Nicholas R
05-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Another way for it to corrode is to use Fix-A-Flat or something like it. That stuff has been banned by the FAA for use in airplanes because of the corrosion it causes.

I'm pretty sure there are other reasons why fix a flat would be a bad idea in an airplane tire, aside from just the corrosion situation....

Bitsyncmaster
05-13-2014, 05:36 AM
What are the sizes of the metal valve stems? My front ones were changed a few years ago but the back ones are very corroed on the cap threads. Not sure if I could get them local so may just leave the old one in there. The back ones are very short also. Sometimes hard to get the air compressor onto it.

NightFlyer
05-13-2014, 05:29 PM
What are the sizes of the metal valve stems? My front ones were changed a few years ago but the back ones are very corroed on the cap threads. Not sure if I could get them local so may just leave the old one in there. The back ones are very short also. Sometimes hard to get the air compressor onto it.

Sorry that I can't help with the valve stem size. Whenever I had wheel/tire work done, they always just replaced it with something similar to what was in their previously.

Do you have the original stock/OEM aluminum valve stems with the brass diamond checkered side grips and an outward dimple in the middle caps?

Bitsyncmaster
05-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Sorry that I can't help with the valve stem size. Whenever I had wheel/tire work done, they always just replaced it with something similar to what was in their previously.

Do you have the original stock/OEM aluminum valve stems with the brass diamond checkered side grips and an outward dimple in the middle caps?

I think the stems are OEM but the caps have been changed. Anyway, I got the tire remounted today. They balanced it but looks like the weights are not made to fit our wheels. Wish I could find a place that places stick on weights in the inner part of the wheel. It looks like there were some stick on weights in there before.

NightFlyer
05-13-2014, 06:16 PM
I think the stems are OEM but the caps have been changed. Anyway, I got the tire remounted today. They balanced it but looks like the weights are not made to fit our wheels. Wish I could find a place that places stick on weights in the inner part of the wheel. It looks like there were some stick on weights in there before.

Yeah, I insist on the hidden stick on weights on D wheels :thumbup:

Bitsyncmaster
05-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Yeah, I insist on the hidden stick on weights on D wheels :thumbup:

I ordered some lead stick on wheel weights. I plan to use the existing clip weight locations to calculate how much and where to stick on these weights and remove those ugly clip type.

It's hard to find lead weights these days but I don't want rusting steel weights.

Flicky
05-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I use these one for RC airplanes.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=gpmq4485&search=Go

Bitsyncmaster
05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
I use these one for RC airplanes.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=gpmq4485&search=Go

Thanks. These look about the same but a little cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380904088570?item=380904088570&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr