PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Release the Hoses!

DrJeff
05-12-2014, 09:15 PM
I'm pulling out the fuel tank and need to release the two flexible hoses from the pump to the fuel hard lines. I'm stuck at the point shown in the picture where the hard line end and flexible hose end seem to be fused together. Any amount of force just twists the hard line. Any clues/tricks on how to release the flexible hose?

DMCMW Dave
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm pulling out the fuel tank and need to release the two flexible hoses from the pump to the fuel hard lines. I'm stuck at the point shown in the picture where the hard line end and flexible hose end seem to be fused together. Any amount of force just twists the hard line. Any clues/tricks on how to release the flexible hose?

With a knife. Cut off the hoses and replace them. Those are original. Don't try to separate the steel fittings, as you see they are pretty stuck and the likelihood that you will kink a line is very high.

kings1527
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The original flex lines were thermocoupled to the hardlines. There's no getting them off unless you cut them off, which is what probably all of us have had to do lately when installing the upgraded pump/sender combo. If you torque the hard lines too much trying to get them off, you might cause problems with the hard lines.

It's a common size flex tubing. Just cut them off with a sharp razor blade but take care not to score the barbs on the hard lines. Afterwards, you'll use new fuel lines with the correct fuel injection hose clamps to hold them on. No more thermocoupling since it's 2014 and not 1981!

David T
05-12-2014, 09:26 PM

You have to hold back the hard lines without crushing them to keep them from turning and twist the hoses to break the seal. Sometimes a sideways tap with a hammer can do it.

DrJeff
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Okay, I cut the hoses (since they are original - but in surprisingly good condition). Tank is now out of the car. I got a good look at the frame previously hidden by the tank and it looks in really good condition :thumbup:

David T
05-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Unless you have to work on the frame there is really no good reason to remove the tank.

DrJeff
05-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Kind of a catch 22... How to inspect the frame without removing the tank. This is just one of many concurrent projects on the car.

Tillsy
05-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Removing the tank is hardly a lot of work and can, in my case did, reveal damage from a formerly leaking brake master... Well worth it in my opinion, and made cleaning out the tank a crapload easier.

DrJeff
05-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Removing the tank is hardly a lot of work and can, in my case did, reveal damage from a formerly leaking brake master... Well worth it in my opinion, and made cleaning out the tank a crapload easier.

The front of the brake booster is pretty rusty and the PO replaced the brake master at some point - presumably due to a leak. I did find some flaking epoxy from the frame at the back of the crumple zone but little rust. I removed all the flakes that I could and treated the area with the Eastwood rust treatment for inside frames - which is essentially a special hose that has a multi-directional spray nozzle on the end. It fires the rust treatment in all directions simultaneously.

DrJeff
05-15-2014, 11:02 PM
I got the tank completely empty tonight (removed all but 1/2 inch of gas before removing the tank from the car) and pulled the fuel pump and sender unit. While there wasn't too much goo at the bottom, I was still surprised at how it completely coated about 25% of the bottom of the tank. If I had to describe it, I would say that it is like a 'sticky grease' (oxymoron?). Pulling the tank out is certainly going to make the cleaning effort a lot easier. I'm just glad none of the goo got sucked up into the fuel system.

The rubber boot (tank inside) felt gummy but wasn't falling apart. The hoses and plastic components all look in good condition.