PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Screw Sizes Needed for Tail Lights and Licence Plate Holder

lazabby
05-13-2014, 09:41 PM
I am finishing up getting things together on my car from working several months on it. I apparently lost the plastic baggy holding the screws to the tail lights and to the licenses plate holder. I had nice SS screws so that's what I want to put back in there. What are the sizes for the tail lights and the license plate holder?

Delorean Industries
05-13-2014, 09:49 PM
I am finishing up getting things together on my car from working several months on it. I apparently lost the plastic baggy holding the screws to the tail lights and to the licenses plate holder. I had nice SS screws so that's what I want to put back in there. What are the sizes for the tail lights and the license plate holder?

m4 for the tail light

10/24 for the four license plate ones

1batt4u
05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
What do you recommend if the taillight screws had to be drilled out? I have to put bigger screws or anything?

lazabby
05-15-2014, 09:23 AM
I bought some M4 - .70 (at least that is what they were labelled in the bin) for the tail lights. They don't seem to be screwing into the holes very well. I will have to investigate further.

I got some black flat head bolts from Ace Hardware for the license plate. Those look very nice.

DrJeff
05-15-2014, 01:37 PM
I bought some M4 - .70 (at least that is what they were labelled in the bin) for the tail lights. They don't seem to be screwing into the holes very well. I will have to investigate further.

I got some black flat head bolts from Ace Hardware for the license plate. Those look very nice.

My tail light screws are double-threaded, known as hi-lo point (http://www.wclco.com/pdf/thread/WCLTF16.pdf)for use on plastics and low density materials. They are all exactly the same so I just assumed that's how they came from the factory. I wanted to replace them with stainless versions but I couldn't find any at the time.

gulwng3
05-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Make your life easy and just order the SS exterior lights/license plate screw set from PJ Grady. You can get them unpainted or black. It's about $28 + S&H. I just found their add for these in an old Gullwing magazine from the early 2000's and ordered a set. Call them - this isn't on their website. Make sure to apply anti-seize to the SS screws before you install them in the aluminum nuts. I don't think anyone makes the hi-lo screws anymore in any material and DMCH doesn't have them.

Andy

lazabby
05-16-2014, 11:52 AM
The 10/24 - 1-1/4" bolts work great for the licenses plate holder and the M4 - .70 (about 1-1/4" long also) work for the tail lamps. I chose black bolts that require a hex allen wrench to screw them in. I think the black looks better than SS or silver screws.

gulwng3
05-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Are these stainless steel?

Andy

lazabby
05-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Are these stainless steel?

Andy

I doubt it.

Delorean Industries
05-16-2014, 12:45 PM
If anyone is looking for stainless screw sets get a hold of PJ Grady Delorean.

kings1527
05-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I have smaller pan head black screws for my license plate bezel. I tried ordering these apparently NOS screws and there's no way they'll fit.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9747-screw-license-plate-bezel.aspx

I've looked at my fascia and it doesn't look like anything was replaced on it.

Does anyone know of two different generations of screws used on the license plate bezel?

1batt4u
05-16-2014, 01:46 PM
The PJ Grady ones in S/S and in Black sound good, but also what to do if some of the screws were drilled out and the stock ones just go in loose??

Mark D
05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
If the original screws no longer go in tight and the hole is stripped out you could install a rivnut and switch over to a machine thread screw instead of the hi-lo self tappers. McMasterCarr carries a good supply of stainless black oxide coated fasteners that would work along with the rivnuts

kings1527
05-16-2014, 02:46 PM
If the original screws no longer go in tight and the hole is stripped out you could install a rivnut and switch over to a machine thread screw instead of the hi-lo self tappers. McMasterCarr carries a good supply of stainless black oxide coated fasteners that would work along with the rivnuts

That might've been what happened. I have machine thread screws in there right now but whoever put in new rivnuts did a great job. It looked factory.

gulwng3
05-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Are folks installing Hervey's rivnuts or is there another source for the rivnuts and installation tool?

Andy

Mark D
05-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Are folks installing Hervey's rivnuts or is there another source for the rivnuts and installation tool?

Andy

There are some good (and cheap) rivnut install tools on ebay. The one I found was cheaper than hervey's and came with an assortment of aluminum metric rivnuts. Extra rivnuts can be bought from the same seller, or you can get them from the DMC vendors, McMasterCarr, Fastenal, Grainger, etc. They all work with the same install tool.

The seller on ebay that I used was toolsplusrus.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27240&d=1400267855

gulwng3
05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
DOH! Ebay, of course! :yesss::thankyou:

thanks!

Andy

Nicholas R
05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
There are a lot of places to get rivet nut tools. I got mine from Astro Pneumatic.

BABIS
05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
If anyone is looking for stainless screw sets get a hold of PJ Grady Delorean.

do you sell them?

EdR5150
05-18-2014, 03:52 PM
For screws, I just used steel screws, and painted them black, except for the last few threads which got a coating of anti-seize. My car was missing a few rivnuts for the tail lights. I got some "Self-Aligning Rivet Nuts" from McMaster-Carr, and epoxied them into the fascia. They allow a little bit of play, which is nice if your fascia has shrinkage.

ccurzio
05-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I was in the pool!