PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Transmission leak

Josh
05-16-2014, 12:54 AM
So I took my car out for the first drive since 2005 (as far as i know). Ran great. However it got the transmission moving and heated up and a leak emerged. Is this a common leak? Im thinking ill go over the case bolts and make sure they are properly torqued but other than that what should I do? Also what is the bolt hole under the passenger side mount in the last pic? Could this cause the leak?27215272162721727218

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

dn010
05-16-2014, 08:55 AM
There is a seal where the shift linkage goes into the transmission, is it running down from there? Possibly the fill plug leaking?

Edit: The lip seal number is 103049, if you look it up, you can get an idea of where I'm talking about.

Mark D
05-16-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm hoping Dave from DMCMW can chime in here. I had a similar leak on my transmission and he cleared out the vent at the top of the transmission and that helped resolve the problem. The vent tends to get blocked up so the case can't release pressure so it'll blow oil out through the linkage seals.

dn010
05-16-2014, 09:37 AM
I believe only the automatics have vents. 5-speed manuals do not, or am I wrong?

Mark D
05-16-2014, 09:56 AM
The manual trans definitely has a vent at the top. I'm trying to find a thread that shows a picture of where it's located. Here's another thread about it from a while back:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4087-Manual-transmission-breather-question

dn010
05-16-2014, 10:13 AM
I stand corrected, and thank you for that info! My 5-speed constantly seeps from the flange seals - I've replaced both seals twice and both flanges thinking the old ones were scored too much, only to find it still seeping! I just let it go because I was tired of messing with it. I've taken apart my transmission twice and don't remember a breather, but now I will look at mine too since the transmission is out. Thanks!

The manual trans definitely has a vent at the top. I'm trying to find a thread that shows a picture of where it's located. Here's another thread about it from a while back:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4087-Manual-transmission-breather-question

David T
05-16-2014, 10:21 AM
I stand corrected, and thank you for that info! My 5-speed constantly seeps from the flange seals - I've replaced both seals twice and both flanges thinking the old ones were scored too much, only to find it still seeping! I just let it go because I was tired of messing with it. I've taken apart my transmission twice and don't remember a breather, but now I will look at mine too since the transmission is out. Thanks!

Hard to tell from your pictures where the oil is coming from. First thing to do is make sure you have the right oil in there and you have it at the proper level. If you do not know what is inside you should change it. If it still leaks the case probably needs to be resealed and to do that you have to remove the transmission. It can't hurt to check the vent, if it gets plugged up it can cause leaks.

dn010
05-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Because I am interested in knowing if this is my issue too, I did a search and here is a link (hopefully the one Mark was referring to) that contains a picture of where the vent is located. I don't recall ever seeing this on mine, so the plastic is likely gone on it... While on the topic, how likely is it that dirt will get into the transmission with this plastic gone?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3985-Gear-oil-around-shift-linkage

DMCMW Dave
05-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Don't worry about dirt. The plug is probably broken off in the hole. Poke in there with a small wire and break up what is left.

Sent from phone

Jonathan
05-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I believe only the automatics have vents. 5-speed manuals do not, or am I wrong?

Just reading through this thread and saw the link to the manual trans photo Dave posted of this vent hole.

As mentioned above, do the automatics also have this type of vent? Is it in a similar location and is unplugged using the same method of poking something into it? Any pics?

Farrar
05-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Both the manual and the automatic have breather holes. Pics courtesy of Dave Swingle.

Jonathan
05-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Great. Thanks for those Farrar and Dave.

Two questions on the automatics:

1.) If this breather was plugged and forcing fluid back and out another way, would it be dripping out on to the ground as reddish ATF or brownish gear oil (i.e. from the final drive section)?

2.) Can this breather be accessed/seen without getting to it from underneath while the car is on a lift? What is the best way to go about getting to it?

DMCMW Dave
05-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Great. Thanks for those Farrar and Dave.

Two questions on the automatics:

1.) If this breather was plugged and forcing fluid back and out another way, would it be dripping out on to the ground as reddish ATF or brownish gear oil (i.e. from the final drive section)?

2.) Can this breather be accessed/seen without getting to it from underneath while the car is on a lift? What is the best way to go about getting to it?

1 - Brown. Unless there is an internal leak dumping ATF into the diff

2 - No. On a lift.

Jonathan
05-16-2014, 05:42 PM
1 - Brown. Unless there is an internal leak dumping ATF into the diff

2 - No. On a lift.

Roger that Dave. Thanks. Sounds like a perfect thing to do with a few minutes of lift time at a tech day. Have a nice weekend.

Josh
05-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys, I will check the vent. The car was sitting for a long time and when it was out i hosed it down with the pressure washer. lots of chances for the hole to get plugged. I have new oil in it, conventional 80w90

leepoffaith
11-21-2018, 09:08 PM
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting all the great information about this problem. I had an almost identical leak from my transmission but couldn't figure out what was causing it. After reading this post I got under the car and was able to push the end of a paper clip through the crud filled breather hole on the transmission. The second I pushed it far enough in I heard hissing coming from the hole and I was hopeful that the pressure building up inside the transmission was the cause of the leak. Well, I took my car for a good drive today and arrived home about 2 hours ago. I just went out to the garage and low and behold the garage floor is FLUID FREE!!!! :D This forum has been absolutely invaluable to this new Delorean owner.

DMC-81
11-22-2018, 04:21 AM
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting all the great information about this problem. I had an almost identical leak from my transmission but couldn't figure out what was causing it. After reading this post I got under the car and was able to push the end of a paper clip through the crud filled breather hole on the transmission. The second I pushed it far enough in I heard hissing coming from the hole and I was hopeful that the pressure building up inside the transmission was the cause of the leak. Well, I took my car for a good drive today and arrived home about 2 hours ago. I just went out to the garage and low and behold the garage floor is FLUID FREE!!!! :D This forum has been absolutely invaluable to this new Delorean owner.

Cool. For future readers, I can add 2 close up pictures of the Breather (103047) as I found and installed a new earlier this year while I had my gearbox out:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55735&d=1521684325

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55736&d=1521684394