PDA

View Full Version : General Who's seat covers do you have and recommend?

1batt4u
05-18-2014, 04:25 PM
I was wondering, good sources to buy full seat covers, all leather and who do you recommend?

pezzonovante88
05-18-2014, 04:54 PM
I have DMCH covers (from PPO). They're okay, but I'm not really a big fan. They don't fit as well as the originals and the leather is too thick and rugged compared the finer furniture quality originals. If I could justify getting new seat covers right now I would either track down some NOS ones or have an experienced upholsterer replicate the original style.

Soundkillr
05-18-2014, 08:02 PM
I have the Houston covers and love them! If you take your time and they are installed correctly they look amazing. Houston went to great lengths to recreate the covers as close to original as possible....

1batt4u
05-18-2014, 08:09 PM
I have the Houston covers and love them! If you take your time and they are installed correctly they look amazing. Houston went to great lengths to recreate the covers as close to original as possible....

They seem too wrinkly.

1batt4u
05-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Anyone have Hervey's seat covers? He writes they are all leather and fit snug.

SS Spoiler
05-18-2014, 08:12 PM
I have Houston covers. Took them to a local upholster guy with Ron Westers article from Gullwing magazine. They look great! The guy said the magazine
story had some good how to hints in it.

Soundkillr
05-18-2014, 08:13 PM
They seem too wrinkly.

Thats how your seats looked brand new. The center sections were gathered leather. Over time they got old and tight.

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 08:16 PM
I still have the stock/OEM seat covers.

Just wanted to note that on stock/OEM seat covers, only the faces / seating surfaces were made of the leather - the sides and backs are vinyl.

If you're looking for black, this guy has some NOS stock/OEM covers:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9733-DeLorean-NOS-seat-covers-%28black%29-Last-set-for-sale

robvanderveer
05-19-2014, 04:47 AM
Thats how your seats looked brand new. The center sections were gathered leather. Over time they got old and tight.

How many years before the replacement will tighten up?

Soundkillr
05-19-2014, 07:35 AM
How many years before the replacement will tighten up?

It's hard to say, hopefully they never will. I know with the stock leather it didn't take long if it was constantly exposed to the sun. I believe the Houston covers the leather is slightly heavier so hopefully wear and shrinking wont be as bad as the original seats....
My original seats were still gathered and wrinkled but starting to shrink and get tight. Drove me crazy. That's why I replaced them. My car had always been stored in a climate controlled garage and was fairly low miles...
The car was 16 years old when I got it.
On another note, my friend bought his delorean new, drove it daily, and rarely garaged it. He claimed within 6 years the seats were tight and no longer soft. Years later he ripped the lower cover, and bought a nos replacement when they were still available. It looked silly because the lower cover was gathered in the middle, where as the seat back was dry and tight.

dustybarn
05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
I have DMCH covers and they look very good. It is true that the leather is thicker and heavier than that of the OEM covers, so the gathering in the center sections is not quite as delicate-looking. I also found that I had to cut down and redrill the plastic tensioning tabs in the bottom upholstery so that it could be pulled down tight enough (YMMV). However, the end result is that they look great.

robvanderveer
05-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Ok, i was slightly under the impression that they were actually supposed to unwrinkle. No problem, i like both looks.

dn010
05-19-2014, 08:59 AM
I got DMCH seat covers back when they first started making them years ago. They installed without any issues and to this day are great. They will end up with some wrinkles when first installed but over time they seem to conform, wear in and get smooth like the originals were; they are still soft though.

Soundkillr
05-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I got DMCH seat covers back when they first started making them years ago. They installed without any issues and to this day are great. They will end up with some wrinkles when first installed but over time they seem to conform, wear in and get smooth like the originals were; they are still soft though.

How have they aged? Got pics of how they look now? Not sure what you mean by smooth like originals, but again to be clear, when the Car and seats were new, they were wrinkled in the middle. This was intentional. Look at your console and knee pad. They are wrinkled as well. The seat centers matched that as well, although of course more defined in the case of the seats.
Btw im not knocking your smooth comment. There are a lot of people out there who think the seats are supposed to be tight in the centers. This shouldnt be the case at all. They should be wrinkled if your going for a like new look.

dn010
05-19-2014, 09:30 AM
No worries about the smooth comment, the following is all I'm trying to get at...

Assuming from all the heat, sun and age (my car sat outside in SC for years prior to my ownership), my original seat covers were all smooth and hard as a rock, no wrinkles at all. I still have the original seat covers (not sure why I saved them LOL) but those are in NY so I can't get a picture fast to show you what I mean. They were so smooth I could slide around in the seat while driving. They actually started cracking when I was removing them thats how bad they were.

I may have a picture of what the seats looked like when I first installed the NEW covers compared to what they look like now, I'll have to dig through my computer and see what I have when I get home. They definitly had a wrinkled look when I first installed them but my only guess is again with age and heat, they are shrinking and the wrinkles are disappearing. My car spent years out in the sun as a daily driver when I had no garage so I'm sure that is a contributing factor in the wear and tear of my interior components.

How have they aged? Got pics of how they look now? Not sure what you mean by smooth like originals, but again to be clear, when the Car and seats were new, they were wrinkled in the middle. This was intentional. Look at your console and knee pad. They are wrinkled as well. The seat centers matched that as well, although of course more defined in the case of the seats.
Btw im not knocking your smooth comment. There are a lot of people out there who think the seats are supposed to be tight in the centers. This shouldnt be the case at all. They should be wrinkled if your going for a like new look.

Soundkillr
05-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Yea, having it outside, and daily use would contribute to leather drawing in. Id love to see pics of them now. May also help the op question as to, if they get tighter over time. Post em up if you get a chance!

No worries about the smooth comment, the following is all I'm trying to get at...

Assuming from all the heat, sun and age (my car sat outside in SC for years prior to my ownership), my original seat covers were all smooth and hard as a rock, no wrinkles at all. I still have the original seat covers (not sure why I saved them LOL) but those are in NY so I can't get a picture fast to show you what I mean. They were so smooth I could slide around in the seat while driving. They actually started cracking when I was removing them thats how bad they were.

I may have a picture of what the seats looked like when I first installed the NEW covers compared to what they look like now, I'll have to dig through my computer and see what I have when I get home. They definitly had a wrinkled look when I first installed them but my only guess is again with age and heat, they are shrinking and the wrinkles are disappearing. My car spent years out in the sun as a daily driver when I had no garage so I'm sure that is a contributing factor in the wear and tear of my interior components.

PB Co
05-19-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm a new owner and my car is a little rough around the edges. A previous owner did go with DMCH for a number of upgrades to the interior. Along with the DMCH seat covers, heated seats were added. I am fairly confident there are no new covers out there more worn and dirty than my own.

Indeed they are less wrinkly than you might expect if you had only ever seen photos of the DMCH covers online, like I had. In fact I thought it would bother me more. Keep in mind I am not yet on to cosmetic issues. I'll get a photo of my own when I'm done working today.

Someone at the recent DMA event had perforated leather covers on theirs. Really sharp. Any idea where that type is from? I don't see any of the vendors offering that type anymore.

1batt4u
05-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Does anyone have SpecialTauto seat covers? He mentions they are all leather, also comes with the back to recover at $600. DMCH is LEATHER/VINYL at $700 with no back material.

DMCMW Dave
05-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Someone at the recent DMA event had perforated leather covers on theirs. Really sharp. Any idea where that type is from? I don't see any of the vendors offering that type anymore.

DMCH two-tone are perforated.

kajcienski
05-19-2014, 05:20 PM
I did a ton of research on this and set out to find originals after seeing what was available. I'm partial cause I have the NOS ;) (no longer selling so not a shameless plug here). You just can't beat this original look - refined, correct deep rich black, soft... Here is how they look after about 2 years of use in my own car. Have tightened up just a little in the ripples, but not very much at all. DMCH, although not a super great match to the originals, seem to have the best quality of what is available. With a few tricks during installation, I am told you can get them looking pretty good. But thought this picture would help anyone trying to match the look of when these cars were "new"...

sapphirexae
05-19-2014, 05:27 PM
I love the original bunched leather look! It looks more classy I think.

pezzonovante88
05-19-2014, 05:38 PM
I did a ton of research on this and set out to find originals after seeing what was available. I'm partial cause I have the NOS ;) (no longer selling so not a shameless plug here). You just can't beat this original look - refined, correct deep rich black, soft... Here is how they look after about 2 years of use in my own car. Have tightened up just a little in the ripples, but not very much at all. DMCH, although not a super great match to the originals, seem to have the best quality of what is available. With a few tricks during installation, I am told you can get them looking pretty good. But thought this picture would help anyone trying to match the look of when these cars were "new"...

Those are gorgeous. Do you do anything to maintain them (ie. Leatherique, Lexol, etc.)?

dn010
05-19-2014, 06:47 PM
These pictures are of DMCH covers. Here is the difference between New vs. Now, at least 10, probably 11 years past & 30K+ miles of use as well as all those "can I sit in it" moments. I cleaned them on a limited occasion, not religiously.

That is the only one I have of a "before" picture while revamping my interior, dash & AC, I can tell I just did the seats because the old hog rings are sitting on the sill; I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of the seats done! You can also tell it had a lot of wrinkles when new.

The after is obvious. The leather is still soft but now has a somewhat shiny appearance, it is not as wrinkled but still retains some. The picture was just point and shoot; they really need to be cleaned up - I'm in the middle of a frame removal, engine overhaul as well as windshield replacement (not to mention my rusty seat tracks need to be painted :D). After all is said and done, I'll try see what leather cleaners & rejuvenators might do. The passenger side has slightly less wrinkles, but not as shiny as the drivers.

Back when I got these from DMCH they were cheaper than now, but not by much - maybe they were $600? And they did not come with a back plate back then either so I have the old ones on there. In retrospect, for 10-11 years of use many of them which were on a daily basis; I would get these again. It's only a picture but they're still pretty soft and comfortable as hell.

PB Co
05-19-2014, 08:06 PM
DMCH two-tone are perforated.

The ones I saw were all grey. Almost didn't notice, that's what I liked about them.

Here's my own DMCH cover. It has seen plenty of sun and is dirty and shiny. I can only guess how long the heated seats worked for. If anything the shine makes it appear more wrinkled than it is in person.

pezzonovante88
05-19-2014, 09:49 PM
The biggest problem I have with the DMCH seat covers is the way they fit around the section connecting the seat-back to the headrest. I've heard people suggest that, with the right technique, they can be fitted properly, though I've yet to actually see it.
That being said, they're actually nice seat covers, but they just don't provide the same nice aesthetic that the original covers do.

kajcienski
05-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Those are gorgeous. Do you do anything to maintain them (ie. Leatherique, Lexol, etc.)?

With the NOS, I use Leatherique. Once before installation and once every few months after installation. This product was recommended by DMCMW, and swear by it. But who can't swear by anything Dave or Julee recommend!!! Check into it. You might not ever go back to other leather/vinyl products!

pezzonovante88
05-19-2014, 11:25 PM
With the NOS, I use Leatherique. Once before installation and once every few months after installation. This product was recommended by DMCMW, and swear by it. But who can't swear by anything Dave or Julee recommend!!! Check into it. You might not ever go back to other leather/vinyl products!

Oh I already use Leatherique - have for years. It's great stuff!

kajcienski
05-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Oh I already use Leatherique - have for years. It's great stuff!

For sure!

Starglider
05-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Does anyone have SpecialTauto seat covers? He mentions they are all leather, also comes with the back to recover at $600. DMCH is LEATHER/VINYL at $700 with no back material.

I have them, a light grey set that I had modified locally (to be two tone and have the Legend Industries logo on the headrests). The fit and finish is good.

BABIS
05-20-2014, 05:07 AM
I have them, a light grey set that I had modified locally (to be two tone and have the Legend Industries logo on the headrests). The fit and finish is good.

your seats look very good!

dmc6960
05-20-2014, 10:15 AM
The ones I saw were all grey. Almost didn't notice, that's what I liked about them.

To my knowledge there are two sets of the DMCH perforated covers in a monotone grey. One on a car from CO which was sold a few years ago, I'm unsure where it is now, probably the one you saw since I haven't been in the mid-Atlantic area in a long time. The other set is on my own car. I had custom ordered them in the monotone grey and had to wait a long time for their next product run.

They are heated and cooled (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3473).
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10941&d=1339312187

Note to Billy, if you dont like the "gathered" look, the two tone seats do not have much of it. (BTW my vote is also on the DMCH covers, original style or the perforated ones)

robvanderveer
05-20-2014, 10:31 AM
The seat looks nice, but boy what a messy workshop!

PB Co
05-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Then there must be a third set out there from ages past. The perforated set I saw didn't have the extra lines on the side bolsters. Totally stock pattern but the leather surfaces were all perforated. I'll see if I took a photo on my camera. They were really nice, but no gathering/wrinkles. Perhaps a one off?