PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body How to Fix Cowling in Footwell Bowed Outward?

lazabby
05-21-2014, 01:57 PM
The cowling in the footwell of my car bows outward and it should be more snug against the center of the car. Has any had this problem and fixed it? I've seen one suggestion whereby one puts a hook on both ends of a wire and hook the wire to the cowling on both side of the center area. It doesn't really fix the problem but makes the bowing out less noticeable.

DrJeff
05-21-2014, 02:31 PM
I assume you mean Part #:100683 or Part #:110446 (center console). I had the same problem and it only got worse when I did the A/C mode switch without removing the console (back when I was a newb). When I did my cabin rebuild I put aluminum bars along both insides of the console. These were eventually riveted to the fiberboard and metal components - but I was able to do that because I recovered the console and had full access to the fiberboard. There are ways to affix a bar to the fiberboard so that it maintains the right shape but it would require some good adhesive.

Jeff

lazabby
05-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I assume you mean Part #:100683 or Part #:110446 (center console). I had the same problem and it only got worse when I did the A/C mode switch without removing the console (back when I was a newb). When I did my cabin rebuild I put aluminum bars along both insides of the console. These were eventually riveted to the fiberboard and metal components - but I was able to do that because I recovered the console and had full access to the fiberboard. There are ways to affix a bar to the fiberboard so that it maintains the right shape but it would require some good adhesive.

Jeff

Good idea. Now if I could get that center console out. More difficult with and automatic.

Bitsyncmaster
05-21-2014, 03:34 PM
I just put a screw through it into the fiberglass underneath. You don't see it but it's a pain to find the hole again if you remove it.

jawn101
05-22-2014, 09:03 PM
There is a tip here that involves a picture hanger and wire: http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-TipsTricksMods.htm

lazabby
05-23-2014, 11:10 AM
There is a tip here that involves a picture hanger and wire: http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-TipsTricksMods.htm

That's what I was talking about in my initial post. I have that in my car but I don't like it. But some people may want to do that so thanks for digging up the link to that fix and posting it.

D Knight
05-24-2014, 07:44 PM
I used a trim screw on the very corner. Looks stock

-D Knight-