PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Connectors you use

Bitsyncmaster
05-24-2014, 07:36 AM
I have tried a lot of different connectors when I add new things to my car. I've never found connectors that I really like that are free hanging, have two pins and accept 16 AWG wire.

What are the rest of you using?

Water tight would be nice but I've found few selections and they tend to be more bulky.

D Knight
05-24-2014, 08:11 AM
I use weatherpack connectors. Never had an issue. You can buy various kits to build your own

-D Knight-

Bitsyncmaster
05-24-2014, 09:19 AM
I use weatherpack connectors. Never had an issue. You can buy various kits to build your own

-D Knight-

Thanks. I've heard those to be good so I just ordered 10 of the two pin kits on Amazon.

dmc
05-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Weather packs are nice. Need the right crimper and a good pair of eyeglasses.
If the ones from amazon don't impress you, try some from painless or mad.
The cheap ones can be worthless.

D Knight
05-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Noble wire is an awesome source too. You can do it without the special crimper, but it's WAY easier with. It does all three crimps for each wire at once.

-D Knight-

vwdmc16
05-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Deutsch connectors or nothing, I'm slowly upgradeupgrading my whole car with them.

Nicholas R
05-24-2014, 07:52 PM
I recently replaced all of the connections for my new engine integration wiring. Replaced every butt splice and spade connector with solder and heat shrink. If I must have a disconnect it's usually non-insulated connectors, crimped, then soldered, and still heat-shrinked. Not sure the brand though. Bought them in bulk a while ago,

Bitsyncmaster
05-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Got my weather Pack connectors. Which side do the pins go into? Or are the pins and sockets interchangeable? Just don't want to mess up any since I don't have spare pins and sockets.

D Knight
05-30-2014, 06:43 AM
They are interchangeable. But I always put the male pins in the female housing. Remember there are 3 crimps for each wire. And don't forget to install the seal before you crimp the wire.

-D Knight-

Bitsyncmaster
05-31-2014, 05:33 AM
I installed the connector. I really don't like these weather pack connectors. They are not really water tight with 16 AWG 300 volt insulation (you would need thicker 600 volt insulation). They are to big. Had a hard time mating them (maybe because I used the pins in the male connector). They did crimp on the wire nicely but the stock wire in the harness is 19 AWG and not really made for these pins made for 16 or 14 AWG.

Someday I will find a connector I like. This is still better than the OEM connector and won't fall off.

I used an exact o knife to enlarge the holes in the switch pins so I could get 16 AWG wire soldered to them. Then used three layer of shrink tubing to provide some stress relief on the pins.