PDA

View Full Version : General The infamous $69,900 DeLorean!

Hokie
05-24-2014, 05:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/25/pa7ebygu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/25/ytuqebup.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/25/ezeqy7a2.jpg
http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/active?utf8=%25E2%259C%2593&search%255Byear_gteq%255D=1920&search%255Byear_lteq%255D=2014&search%255Bmake_id_eq%255D=&search%255Bmodel_id_eq%255D=&search%255Bprice_from_gteq%255D=&search%255Bprice_from_lteq%255D=&search%255Bftx_search%255D=Delorean&search%255Bmeta_sort%255D=year.asc

Domi
05-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Really nice, but at that price range, who can afford it? And does it really worth that price?...

Nicholas R
05-24-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm confused; why is this a $70,000 car?

AugustneverEnds
05-24-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm confused; why is this a $70,000 car?

nice looking car but honestly I have no idea what makes someone think it's worth 70k :dunno:

Michael
05-24-2014, 10:27 PM

nice looking car but honestly I have no idea what makes someone think it's worth 70k :dunno:

That's probably not the right premise. You shouldn't be asking why does the seller think it's worth 70k, you should be asking why he thinks there is a 70k buyer out there? Maybe he is not even that serious. The seller may not think it's worth anything, but maybe he thinks he can get what he wants for it by over valuing it. Maybe he doesn't even care one way or the other.

I know where he is coming from, just for the hell of it I recently put a few of my scale models for sale on ebay since I have so many free listings. I over inflated the price a little because quite frankly, I don't need to sell them and I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If I actually needed to sell them then I would re-evaluate my strategy. I just put my motorcycle up on CL for double what I paid for it, why not? It's a free listing and I don't have to talk to anyone I don't want to.

You know the old saying, the best time to look for a better job is when you don't need one. It's pretty much the same logic. Bottom line is whoever or whomever owns RK of Charlotte seems like he/they know how to sell a car or two.

Dangermouse
05-25-2014, 12:05 AM
"Beneficiary of a recent $30k freshening"

$30,000 "freshening".

Really ? What does one get for a $30,000 DeLorean freshening?

Patrick C
05-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Must have bought it from D1!

http://deloreanone.com/refurbished.html

Flicky
05-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Aside from being dishonest; it could be someone, like a Delorean restoration shop, faking a listing so that the 35K ones look reasonable. Heck, maybe we should all put 55K listings up for junkier D's so that people start to think they are stealing our cars by talking us down to 40. I'm not just talking static listings, I'm talking making it look like the cars are selling for that much too. Right now the shops are just using their websites to make it look like cars are selling high. If they moved into making misleading listings in the same areas that are used by the general public, it would make valuations difficult after a year or so. Wouldn't you feel odd if you listed your car for 25 in a sea of 50K+ listings?

In the early 90s the market for muscle cars moved in a very rapidly upward way. Who would have figured that the AAR Cuda you could have got for 8K would be 35K in 4 years time. All that happened is people saw in magazines and on the newly created Speed TV that cars sold for a high price. Then they go and list their grandma's slant 6 Satellite for 15K calling it a "GTX Tribute".

djdogbone
05-25-2014, 01:08 AM
His car is missing all the protective tin on the bottom of the car. The tin serves two purposes, one is protection and two, it directs air to the engine compartment. VW Beetle owners know what I am talking about. So, technically, this car is not complete....for that price, it should be a perfect car... And even then, DAMN and NO WAY come to mind.

Michael
05-25-2014, 01:36 AM
His car is missing all the protective tin on the bottom of the car. The tin serves two purposes, one is protection and two, it directs air to the engine compartment. VW Beetle owners know what I am talking about. So, technically, this car is not complete....for that price, it should be a perfect car... And even then, DAMN and NO WAY come to mind.

What??

Looks complete to me, what's missing?

Josh
05-25-2014, 02:53 AM
I think hes talking about those air deflectors that attach to the trailing arms.

ALEXAKOS
05-25-2014, 03:19 AM

$30,000 "freshening".

A life supply of highly collectible car freshners
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mAYG1uMQpxuS7GXP2sS_xDQ/140.jpg

Rad Dad
05-25-2014, 08:09 AM
I believe this is a consignment. It is at "large, well known seller of custom/classic/muscle/other rare cars". The dealer has got make a couple of bucks!😏.

Michael
05-25-2014, 09:39 AM
I think hes talking about those air deflectors that attach to the trailing arms.

Well if he is they are not missing.

RammJaeger
05-25-2014, 10:00 AM
That is likely a too high of price for that car, but something has always struck me as odd about the Delorean community. They are the only car community I have ever seen that is averse to the value of their cars increasing. Any time someone prices a car even slightly above the going rate (and sometimes at or below the going rate) for a Delorean, the owners on this forum balk about it and say they are asking too much for the car. I say, if someone wants to start selling Deloreans for $70k, let them (if there is a buyer). Then maybe it will start making our $25k Deloreans worth $50k! The value can't increase if we're all beating the value back down. The "$25k rule" seems to go back at least 10 years, maybe more in this community. Perhaps we need to at least make it the "$26k Rule" or at least the "$25.5k Rule", and then in a few years make it the "$27k Rule".

JRNY13
05-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Clearly not a stainless coolant bottle or hood without the X.

$30,000 "freshening".

vwdmc16
05-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Well if they consider a 58 vw bus to be worth $140,000.....

pezzonovante88
05-25-2014, 02:47 PM
That is likely a too high of price for that car, but something has always struck me as odd about the Delorean community. They are the only car community I have ever seen that is averse to the value of their cars increasing. Any time someone prices a car even slightly above the going rate (and sometimes at or below the going rate) for a Delorean, the owners on this forum balk about it and say they are asking too much for the car. I say, if someone wants to start selling Deloreans for $70k, let them (if there is a buyer). Then maybe it will start making our $25k Deloreans worth $50k! The value can't increase if we're all beating the value back down. The "$25k rule" seems to go back at least 10 years, maybe more in this community. Perhaps we need to at least make it the "$26k Rule" or at least the "$25.5k Rule", and then in a few years make it the "$27k Rule".

Thank you! I totally agree. I bought the car because I like it, but having the value increase isn't exactly a bad thing.

SS Spoiler
05-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Sounds like Ed Bernstein saying 30 years ago these cars will be worth some serious bucks.

pezzonovante88
05-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Sounds like Ed Bernstein saying 30 years ago these cars will be worth some serious bucks.

And why shouldn't they be?

RammJaeger
05-25-2014, 04:59 PM
And why shouldn't they be?

The spirit of JZD is haunting the community and wants his cars to always remain affordable... :)

skill
05-25-2014, 06:42 PM

+1
I agree with you. When people tell me your car is an icon (The DMV registration agent and many others) - I'm reminded that the car I own is rare and is accepted by the public that the car must be priceless. I too think we as a community aren't backing the true value of our gems and we should all together focus proactively on properly pricing our DeLoreans. $25K-$27K or to $30K is plain peanuts! We dictate the prices, not price guides (Nada, etc) or comps off eBay! It's time fellas to properly raise the price on our prized possession/s and set the value appropriately!

SS Spoiler
05-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Hmmmm.....

yellowmxwheels23
05-25-2014, 08:09 PM
+1
I agree with you. When people tell me your car is an icon (The DMV registration agent and many others) - I'm reminded that the car I own is rare and is accepted by the public that the car must be priceless. I too think we as a community aren't backing the true value of our gems and we should all together focus proactively on properly pricing our DeLoreans. $25K-$27K or to $30K is plain peanuts! We dictate the prices, not price guides (Nada, etc) or comps off eBay! It's time fellas to properly raise the price on our prized possession/s and set the value appropriately!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=0_a_vil0Zi8iEM&tbnid=3C-FntdnknodrM&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffreethoughtblogs.com%2Flousycanuc k%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F06%2F3406508_o.gif&ei=wYWCU_uCLs_coASMuYCQBA&psig=AFQjCNFH-uG7mEFPZFfORgAb-DYNmvCI9Q&ust=1401149249840030

Timebender
05-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Well if they consider a 58 vw bus to be worth $140,000.....

A 1963 and earlier 23 Window Bus, fully restored (by Lenny Kopp or if the owner does good work) can get that nowadays. When I had my 63 23, at 65 % restoration I sold it for $21k not running. Had it been running, painted nicely, correct bench seats, shiny belt line trim, etc I could've gotten $75-80k, 8 years ago.

A 1973 Roadrunner GTX (only 789 made) goes anywhere from $19k (DD in okay shape) to mid-60's, according to Hagerty, and my son's 1970.5 Camaro RS is worth $15k (or more), still needs body, paint, interior but runs great. Got it for $2500.

So I say if everyone starts listing theirs for a lot more, and people buy them, then great. But wait until I get mine for $15k or less first!

Gfrank
05-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Aside from being dishonest; it could be someone, like a Delorean restoration shop, faking a listing so that the 35K ones look reasonable. Heck, maybe we should all put 55K listings up for junkier D's so that people start to think they are stealing our cars by talking us down to 40. I'm not just talking static listings, I'm talking making it look like the cars are selling for that much too. Right now the shops are just using their websites to make it look like cars are selling high. If they moved into making misleading listings in the same areas that are used by the general public, it would make valuations difficult after a year or so. Wouldn't you feel odd if you listed your car for 25 in a sea of 50K+ listings?

In the early 90s the market for muscle cars moved in a very rapidly upward way. Who would have figured that the AAR Cuda you could have got for 8K would be 35K in 4 years time. All that happened is people saw in magazines and on the newly created Speed TV that cars sold for a high price. Then they go and list their grandma's slant 6 Satellite for 15K calling it a "GTX Tribute".

Just like Barrett Jackson for the most part. Simply moving cars around, driving prices up

pezzonovante88
05-25-2014, 10:04 PM
So I say if everyone starts listing theirs for a lot more, and people buy them, then great. But wait until I get mine for $15k or less first!

lol, I sorta feel hypocritical when I wish our cars were worth a lot more, when I just bought mine a few years ago and certainly wouldn't have wanted it that way then!

Ryan S.
05-26-2014, 12:24 AM
I think it's the flux cap. Since mine isn't equipped with one, I'll price mine at $59k.
It's about time that our cars start appreciating in value.
By the way, I really like that car website. They really take very good photos. Makes cars look stunning. I am in love with the red stingray. Sell my D for $59k and just need to come up with another $60k. :biggrin:

Michael
05-26-2014, 08:08 AM
My neighbor told me yesterday he visited RK last week and saw this car in person. He told me it didn't look nearly as nice as mine.

I'm not saying this to try and build mine up or brag about it...just that the pics don't show the whole story.. He said the graining was all messed up and it had shallow dents throughout.

vps3922
05-26-2014, 10:35 AM

+1
The community should start asking for higher sale prices because of the buzz this car makes whenever you go anywhere. So why not. Start with small increases. At least if your car is in great condition and maintained. Not talking about junkers. But I can now easily say that because I bought mine nearly half a year ago. :biggrin:
We should at least calculate inflation into these prices. So it does not remain $25k forever. $25k these days are way less than 15 or 20 years ago. And people get the benefit to own a rare car with a great access to parts, too.

RammJaeger
05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
+1
The community should start asking for higher sale prices because of the buzz this car makes whenever you go anywhere. So why not. Start with small increases. At least if your car is in great condition and maintained. Not talking about junkers. But I can now easily say that because I bought mine nearly half a year ago. :biggrin:
We should at least calculate inflation into these prices. So it does not remain $25k forever. $25k these days are way less than 15 or 20 years ago. And people get the benefit to own a rare car with a great access to parts, too.

Yes, exactly. Every person I meet that looks at my Delorean THINKS they are really expensive, and looks at me like I must be rich to own one. When they ask me how much I paid for it, I'm almost ashamed to tell them that I paid $18k for it. In their heads its a $30k+ car.

pezzonovante88
05-26-2014, 06:43 PM
It also comes down to a lack of respect for the car and its unique history. I think the BTTF factor is something to consider, too - It has arguably made a very significant positive influence on building and strengthening the DeLorean community and Aftermarket. However, there is only so much money people are willing to spend on what is seen as a movie prop joke, let alone the number of people who are actually nerdy and (crazy :wink:) enough to buy one because of the movie. I certainly don't aim to offend anyone on here, but I think that encouraging the BTTF jokes and having flux capacitors, etc. limits the value of this car for the vast majority of bigger-money collectors who could potentially bring some serious respect to our cars and, subsequently increase market values. If we, as a community, focus on things like its old-school driving experience, its contemporary Italian design and Lotus engineering, and the entrepreneurship of JZD, more car collectors may see it as something to consider owning.
I wouldn't expect these to be really "big-money" cars (six figures) any time soon (largely due to the quantity still around), but I don't see why the $25k rule shouldn't be the $40k rule. Just my two cents.

Note: Don't get me wrong, I love BTTF (always have) and I think Time-Machine DeLoreans are awesome. But, I also love the DeLorean as an automotive design icon and I'd like it to be recognized and respected for something other than the movie and to be valued as such. Not to mention, if I ever sell it, it would be nice to make a few bucks to account for inflation and risk!

sapphirexae
05-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love BTTF (always have) and I think Time-Machine DeLoreans are awesome. But, I also love the DeLorean as an automotive design icon and I'd like it to be recognized and respected for something other than the movie and to be valued as such.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Perfectly phrased, my thoughts EXACTLY!

Domi
05-27-2014, 03:28 PM
+1 :thumbup:

papanoel
05-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Yes, exactly. Every person I meet that looks at my Delorean THINKS they are really expensive, and looks at me like I must be rich to own one. When they ask me how much I paid for it, I'm almost ashamed to tell them that I paid $18k for it. In their heads its a $30k+ car.

This is partially why whenever someone asks I avoid answering the question. I think its pretty rude to ask that question anyway. I always say "more than I should have paid for it" or "its a nice toy i got for myself so I spent too much on it". I also say its not about how much it costs upfront its about how much it costs to keep it running. I always deflect. I've had people come up to me and say "this must have cost you like 100 grand!" I just smile and don't say anything.

Denverdelorean
05-27-2014, 04:38 PM
I bought 16076 in 2005 for $15k. it ran and drove fairly well but needed a lot of updates. It was lowered and looked nice overall. I had it for three years as a daily driver and eventually sold it for $23k. At the time, $15 to $18 k got you a nice driver. $25k was pretty low miles and had updates done, 50k and the sky was the limit.

I just bought 3519 in a non running state and it is painted. it's going to take a lot more work to get it up to acceptable spec, but I should still be ahead of the 25k curve. I paid $10k and I haven't seen ANYTHING else even near that. I have seen total wrecks sell for $9k.

Honestly, I am quite surprised and pleased that they have maintained value, but I have definitely seen an increase in market.

When people ask how much, I am not afraid to tell them. When they see how affordable and easy a delorean can be, they will want one, and drive up demand. This will in turn drive up value!

Kane
05-27-2014, 06:04 PM
limits the value of this car for the vast majority of bigger-money collectors who could potentially bring some serious respect to our cars and, subsequently increase market values.

Will.I.Am's monstrosity certainly didn't help. Plenty of other celebrities own one (Seth McFarlane, Tony Parker, etc), but they aren't exactly extolling its virtues in public.

GS450-Junkie
05-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Note: Don't get me wrong, I love BTTF (always have) and I think Time-Machine DeLoreans are awesome. But, I also love the DeLorean as an automotive design icon and I'd like it to be recognized and respected for something other than the movie and to be valued as such. Not to mention, if I ever sell it, it would be nice to make a few bucks to account for inflation and risk!

Dracula felt the same way..... 8)

Perhaps this guy's wife said sell it or else....so he did what I would do. List it for sale at a price nobody would be willing to pay. HaHa

John U
05-27-2014, 08:28 PM
If it wasn't for BTTF, 98% of people on the street would have no idea what the car is....that's the truth whether you want to believe it or not :dunno:

SIMid
05-27-2014, 09:57 PM
20+ years ago, Deloreans in Australia were worth around $80-100K. Import duties, conversion to RHD and compliance made them a very expensive investment.

Now, all you need to do is just pay Shipping and Import Duties. No need for conversions. So for those who had spent close to $80K would feel a little empty knowing that you could get a decent one for $40K landed.

But I do hope their values increase world wide. Generally people should ask for more to which they will end up going for more. If cheap, non running samples float around, it does nothing to keep values high.

Rich
05-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Since we have deviated into the "What's a DeLorean worth these days?" topic you can see for yourselves what the Hagerty collector car insurance outfit currently says about the value of '81 model year D's in the USA:

LINK: http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=919041 (http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=919041)

They say a Class 2 '81 D's value in April was $27,000 which is up from $25,600 2 years ago.

Class 1 '81s are said to be worth almost $40K. There are 4 classes of collector car in their book, which does not imply that 25% of the cars are Class 1.

Clicked over to the data for the '83s to see that Class 2 is pegged at $30K and a Class 1 D is said to be worth $45K.

Nothing yet showing at $70K - until some folks step up and pay that much.

I'm not soliciting complaints about the numbers or Hagerty, only sharing their data with the community.

louielouie2000
05-29-2014, 11:48 AM

That's definitely not true. I'm a member of multiple classic car & motorcycle message boards, and they pretty much all call out sellers who ask absurd prices for their cars, or buyers who are interested in paying inflated prices. Online communities like this one are the most hardcore of the diehard fanatics. We know exactly what these cars are worth- what people are buying & selling them for. Because let's face it- asking prices don't mean shit. Everyone I know in the community who has bought or sold their DeLorean has shared with others what they paid/received. We all know what these cars are really worth vs their asking prices. In turn, we've all stumbled & made mistakes and learned in the process, and are simply helping others glean some knowledge from our experience. I think it says a hell of a lot about DeLorean owners that helping others is their priority.

I for one am perfectly fine with DeLorean values staying obtainable. Why? It's not just because I don't currently own one- I was fine with low values when I owned my 2 DeLoreans. There comes a point when car values rise to a certain point where the ownership experience changes... for the negative. For instance, my Dad owns a special order 1969 Boss 302 Mustang he bought used in 1972. Now that the car is worth ~$100,000 he only drives it once or twice a year. It's worth too much for him to enjoy driving it. He no longer takes it to Mustang meets either, because the type of owners has changed with the drastically increased values. There's no longer the salt of the earth comradery... folks who own Boss Mustangs these days do so for status reasons, and often know little about the cars, or care about the whole fellowship experience.

One of my favorite aspects of the DeLorean community has always been the people. The huge range of folks, from teenagers to retirees; women & men; rich & poor. Anyone who wants a DeLorean can, with some discipline, obtain one. This means (generally) the folks who own them are true enthusiasts, not just someone who wants a trophy on their mantle. I for one would hate to see that change in the name of increasing "values."

louielouie2000
05-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Since we have deviated into the "What's a DeLorean worth these days?" topic you can see for yourselves what the Hagerty collector car insurance outfit currently says about the value of '81 model year D's in the USA:

LINK: http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=919041 (http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=919041)

They say a Class 2 '81 D's value in April was $27,000 which is up from $25,600 2 years ago.

Class 1 '81s are said to be worth almost $40K. There are 4 classes of collector car in their book, which does not imply that 25% of the cars are Class 1.

Clicked over to the data for the '83s to see that Class 2 is pegged at $30K and a Class 1 D is said to be worth $45K.

Nothing yet showing at $70K - until some folks step up and pay that much.

I'm not soliciting complaints about the numbers or Hagerty, only sharing their data with the community.

I think this is a pretty accurate graph of what DeLoreans are currently worth. However, there is something worth noting- most people tend to overrate their cars. I've been in the DeLorean community for nearly 15 years now, and have seen several hundred cars. I can honestly say I've only seen a handful of #1 condition cars. Cars in that condition are exceptionally rare. Most folks who would rate their DeLoreans as #1 condition are actually #2 cars. The vast majority of DeLoreans fall into the #3 category- complete, (mostly) cosmetically acceptable, drivable. #4 cars are going extinct it seems... they've either been chopped up as parts/donor cars, or have been restored to #3 or #2 cars.

TTait
05-29-2014, 02:23 PM
I don't see why the $25k rule shouldn't be the $40k rule.

I have to agree...

My '82 was totaled last November. It was completed a few weeks earlier, the interior, mechanical with stage II, all the paint refreshed - nothing else I could do to the car to make me happier - till a yahoo slammed into me starting a 3 car accident.

The insurance company told me it was worth $23k. I told them to find the comps to prove it. They couldn't. There was only one recently restored car on the market with higher miles and it was $35k - and did not have Stage II. They kept sending low offers for months - I asked for comps and sent them the work orders and photos and videos I had of the car. When they proposed a comp, I sent them paperwork showing what it would cost to replace seats, carpet, add Udings suspension and a Stage II, repaint and align fascias and do a top black - and the numbers always came to a net in the low 40's.

In the end they came up with just under $40k for my restored car with 90k miles and Stage II. I won't say it was a grade 1 car, but it was a very very solid 2. It took four months but in the end, the check cleared. YMMV.

louielouie2000
05-30-2014, 06:04 PM
I have to agree...

My '82 was totaled last November. It was completed a few weeks earlier, the interior, mechanical with stage II, all the paint refreshed - nothing else I could do to the car to make me happier - till a yahoo slammed into me starting a 3 car accident.

The insurance company told me it was worth $23k. I told them to find the comps to prove it. They couldn't. There was only one recently restored car on the market with higher miles and it was $35k - and did not have Stage II. They kept sending low offers for months - I asked for comps and sent them the work orders and photos and videos I had of the car. When they proposed a comp, I sent them paperwork showing what it would cost to replace seats, carpet, add Udings suspension and a Stage II, repaint and align fascias and do a top black - and the numbers always came to a net in the low 40's.

In the end they came up with just under $40k for my restored car with 90k miles and Stage II. I won't say it was a grade 1 car, but it was a very very solid 2. It took four months but in the end, the check cleared. YMMV.

Though I'm always bringing up the chasm between DeLorean asking & sale prices, I do agree that the $25k rule has been outdated for some years now. For starters, entry level/project DeLoreans have all but evaporated. The majority of cars that come on the market these days are #3 & #2 condition cars. That being said, even those often need extensive updating/mechanical refreshing. So a new $35k rule makes pretty good sense to me, given the current market value of DeLoreans.

And I feel you regarding insurance valuation. I was hit my a drunk driver in my first DeLorean back in 2003. The insurance company came back to me with an $11k offer, which I flatly refused. I too sent off lots of comparables to the company, and participated in several months of back & forth. In the end, I wound up with about twice the initial offer for my DeLorean. Which was about what I had in the car total.

I really do understand people wanting these cars to be worth more. So they can recoup the investment they put into them. Or to feel some sort of validation about owning one of these quirky little machines. I just wonder if by starting a campaign to raise asking prices, if they'll get the short end of the stick in the long run? DeLoreans will only sell for what someone is willing to pay, first off. And an orphan car with a 130hp Volvo sedan engine in it will only have a limited audience. But more than anything, increased values will have a domino effect of consequences. High values will mean people will drive their cars less, which will likely equate to a sharp increase in parts prices (which are already rolling out lately anyway). Higher values also mean higher annual taxes. And higher insurance premiums. Which will lead to even fewer companies willing to underwrite these cars. With that will come greater insurance restrictions, from annual mileage limits to garage requirements, etc. I don't know- I'm just incredibly partial to the fact that the DeLorean community is a group full of people who are true, diehard enthusiasts. I'd just hate to see that change. I rather enjoy the cars being underdogs- it's part of their identity and what makes DeLoreans, DeLoreans.

Michael
05-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Just a few problems I can see with the pics. Normally Deloreans look great in pics even if they are not. My neighbor said this car was edgy in person. The overall condition of this car looks excellent and although these discrepancies would probably not bother a buyer in the 35k range, they should bother a buyer in the 60k range. That car should he nothing short of a certified stainless worthy for that money, and it's just not. I'm not even sure if that undercoat is factory.

Remember if you can see flaws in pictures, there are more in person. The resolution sucks on my phones pic editor so go to the website and see for yourself, especially the left fender...you may find even more problems if you look. Like I said it's nitpicking at 35k but at 70k it's just being realistic.

Rich
05-30-2014, 09:17 PM
That car should he nothing short of a certified stainless worthy for that money, and it's just not. I'm not even sure if that undercoat is factory.

Good catch. The undercoat isn't factory. None of the cars shipped with undercoat.

Timebender
05-30-2014, 09:46 PM
I have to agree...

So was that at least what you had put into it plus the cost of what you bought the car at?

Rich_NYS
05-31-2014, 01:44 PM
Today I was working on my car (in my driveway) and a guy pulled up goin' nutty over seeing the car. He's a mechanic who last saw one about 15 years ago.

He brought up the topic of current values of a Delorean and said: "boy, you probably couldn't get one of these for much less than $80K these days, right?"

The way the dude was pacing around the car, I thought for a minute he might violate it...lol! -I'm still pretty new to this, so I'm still amused at how guys really lose it over the car when I think it looks crappy with the interior pulled out...etc. I still have not had any females stop, stare, or otherwise...wth?

Off topic here, but I think you'll all appreciate hearing what else he said: "what a bunch of shit that was when he got arrested....it was a setup....bunch of crap."

AugustneverEnds
06-01-2014, 03:16 AM
Today I was working on my car (in my driveway) and a guy pulled up goin' nutty over seeing the car. He's a mechanic who last saw one about 15 years ago.

He brought up the topic of current values of a Delorean and said: "boy, you probably couldn't get one of these for much less than $80K these days, right?"

The way the dude was pacing around the car, I thought for a minute he might violate it...lol! -I'm still pretty new to this, so I'm still amused at how guys really lose it over the car when I think it looks crappy with the interior pulled out...etc. I still have not had any females stop, stare, or otherwise...wth?

Off topic here, but I think you'll all appreciate hearing what else he said: "what a bunch of shit that was when he got arrested....it was a setup....bunch of crap."

Too funny! :thumbup: Must be an upstate NY thing Rich because around here I get a ton of people who tell, "..too bad they set him up, he pissed GM off. Really nice car!"

NightFlyer
06-01-2014, 03:52 AM
Too funny! :thumbup: Must be an upstate NY thing Rich because around here I get a ton of people who tell, "..too bad they set him up, he pissed GM off. Really nice car!"

Upstate is the best part of the state IMHO :thumbup:

Flash66
06-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Thank you! I totally agree. I bought the car because I like it, but having the value increase isn't exactly a bad thing.

From what I've seen lately, people are finally asking more for good quality D's and it's trending. If more D owners in the community start placing a higher value on their cars on a larger scale, the trend will increase proportionally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AugustneverEnds
06-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Upstate is the best part of the state IMHO :thumbup:

Thanks! It's a humble corner of the world but I love it. Never had the pleasure of visiting Michigan, need to get around to that

AugustneverEnds
06-05-2014, 08:01 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-Coupe-1982-DeLorean-188-Original-Miles-One-Owner-from-New-Runs-and-Drives-Perfectly-/360947632699?forcerrptr=true&hash=item540a27ca3b&item=360947632699&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Still shy of the reserve but there is a day left to go...

Michael
06-05-2014, 08:16 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-Coupe-1982-DeLorean-188-Original-Miles-One-Owner-from-New-Runs-and-Drives-Perfectly-/360947632699?forcerrptr=true&hash=item540a27ca3b&item=360947632699&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

That car always gets big numbers but they have not made the reserve in previous auctions. Just goes to show you how a well executed description paired with nice pictures brings big numbers on a ebay Delorean. Having a nice low mileage car to start with doesn't hurt either.

Hokie
06-05-2014, 08:37 PM

A 4-liter, numbers matching DeLorean! Sweet! (Hmmm... déjÃ* vu)

AugustneverEnds
06-06-2014, 07:36 AM
A 4-liter, numbers matching DeLorean! Sweet! (Hmmm... déjÃ* vu)

This car's engine took its vitamins and hit the gym :hihi2:

Hokie
12-09-2016, 12:16 AM
Just FYI this car was sold for $65,000 after 12 months on the market.

Michael
12-09-2016, 11:46 AM
I have noticed it's always the people who can't afford to fill the tank on a DeLorean that think they are in a position to put a dollar figure on one. It's nice to see values going up even if that flys in the face of well known and self proclaimed "expert" non owners.
The people with the money are the only ones that get to put a dollar figure on a car's worth, as it should be.

David T
12-09-2016, 12:04 PM
I have noticed it's always the people who can't afford to fill the tank on a DeLorean that think they are in a position to put a dollar figure on one. It's nice to see values going up even if that flys in the face of well known and self proclaimed "expert" non owners.
The people with the money are the only ones that get to put a dollar figure on a car's worth, as it should be.

Collectors tend to value a 1 owner, low mileage, "unmolested" original car a whole lot more than one in better runable condition. We all know what it will take to get a car like this into reliable condition for actual use. That is not necessarily what high end collectors do though. They can afford to buy a car to look at and not actually drive them. Most of the owners here on this forum want a Delorean to actually use it. Before you get all excited about the price, this kind of car is very limited, 99.99% of the Deloreans in this world cannot say they are 1 owner, with almost no mileage in great cosmetic shape. High end collectors buy cars like art. To ooh and aah over and show off to their friends. Like the gold Deloreans. They aren't for driving, they are for show. That is a whole other category than what most of us have. That explains the unusual pricetag.